[A] Hawks Snap Island Struggles: CHI [3] VS NYI [2]

Ton

Liked Posts:
The Blackhawks finally grabbed a win on Long Island after a 9 year skid that halted them from gaining a win in the Nassau Coliseum.

Ray Emery was solid by making 31 saves on 33 shots, helping the Blackhawks burn away the Islanders six power-play opportunities including a 5-on-3 in the 3rd period.

Patrick Sharp and Marian Hossa teamed up for 6 points on the night. Sharp, 2 goals [GWG] and 1 assist, had the hot stick all night with 3 shots on net and 2 takeaways.

Jonathan Toews was left off the score-sheet for the first time in three games.

KEYS TO THE GAME

Big start: The Blackhawks potted the first 2 goals, increasing their record to 10-0-1 when scoring first. Although the Islanders slipped back into the game by forcing the Blackhawks into overtime after trying to hold onto the lead, they took over the extra period with dominance 4-on-4.

Special teams are special: The penalty-killing was perfect, stopping all 6 chances the Islanders had on the man advantage and the power-play contributed as well by going 1-for-3.

Back-up passes test: Ray Emery made the big saves when they counted, he was there all night when they were short-handed and ended the night with a .939 save percentage. I wouldn't be surprised to see him rewarded with another start against San Jose.

BLACKHAWKS THREE STARS OF THE GAME

1. Patrick Sharp

2. Marian Hossa

3. Ray Emery

Click here to view the article

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
I loved our 2nd line tonight. Loved how Kruger played also on it. He keeps working his ass off that guy.

Sharps goal scoring better come now because once he has his girl I bet he goes quiet for a few games (not that this is rare with Sharpy anyways).

Emery was solid. It's going to be a tough decision on Sunday but you gotta get Craw in there again and give him a shot.

Carcillo is playing his game again. Has been for the last 4 games now. Banging and crashing, getting dirty. He needs to keep doing this and not resorting back to the style he isn't here for. Good game from Carcillo again tonight.

Nice to see Hammer hitting again.

Officiating was brutal. Hawks PK was great.

Pretty much it.

Ton

Liked Posts:
Not sure I agree, I think Q should put Emery in for another one. Time to start rewarding guys for solid play and not just the name on their jersey.

R K

I'd play Emery Sunday against the Sharks. I agree Tony. He's earned the start. Plus you make Crawford hungry IMO. Like he was last year trying to steal Turco's job.

hawks have now gone 4 straight games without giving up a PP goal.

You remove the Canucks home game, the Flames and Oilers road games, 13 PP goals against I think in three games, and their PK is not nearly as bad as the percentage looks.

Interesting that the record at home this year is the difference from last year so far.

Last year through 28

Home 6-7-1

Road 7-5-2

Total 13-12-3

This year through 28

Home 8-2-3

Road 9-6-1

17-8-4

Home play @ the UC biggest difference.

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
It will be an interesting debate Ton. I don't think Emery has stolen the #1 job yet and I too agree on riding hot hands. There are arguments that could be made for both sides.

Just another note.

Hossas only the 85th player to score 400 goals. He got it tonight. Why was so little made of it during the game by our shitty play by play and color guy. Think about it. Only 85 players have ever hit 400 goals in this old league.

It's a very big accomplishment. Our t.v. guys really suck. I bet Troy and John made a big deal out of it on the radio.

R K

I don't think it's about stealing the Job. I think it's about who's playing best and gives them the better chance to get points. It will even itself out in the end.

Another great stat.

Hawks have 3 players in the top 10 in scoring. Toews, Kane and Sharp. 4th, 6th and 8th respectively.

Hjarlmarson leads the league in blocked shots.

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
Yup and people want Hammer traded. I say no way!! He might be slightly overpaid but he does block a crap load of shots and games like he had tonight are ones that could get him back to hitting on open ice. He had a good game and he is starting to pick up the physical play again. Got rewarded with an assist tonight also. Was a good game for Hammer.

Leddy is falling off the offensive end a bit lately but his defensive game has been a bit better. I'll take the trade off. I thought those 2 had a good game as a pair tonight.

Hossa will hit top 10 soon also. We have solid 2 scoring lines since the proper adjustments have been made. We get the 3rd scoring a bit more and supporting that end of the game and it's skies the limit.

Still loving Meyers also.

R K

I think alot of that has to do with #2 and #7 going back together actually. Which is the way it should be. Seabrook bailed out Keith three times tonight. He did that alot the season Keith won the Norris.

5Minutes4Fighting

Liked Posts:
Q doesn't like to change things when the team is winning, so i see Emory on Sunday, which would be my choice. Crow will be fine, he is just in a slump right now.

Sunday should be a good game. Hawks played great in San Jose, only to lose 1-0. So no way they take the Sharks lightly. PK has it going right now, the 5 on 3 kill tonight was massive, and the late kill after the Car Bomb penalty was also huge.

that slapper by Sharp for his first goal was a BLAST. WOW!

-5MInutes

JOVE23

Liked Posts:
I hadn't seen Hammer throw a hit like that in 2 years. I almost jumped out of my chair. I loved seeing Carbomb plow into that guy and bounce off him and land on the ice, then later stand up for Toews and punch Okposo in the face.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yup and people want Hammer traded. I say no way!! He might be slightly overpaid but he does block a crap load of shots and games like he had tonight are ones that could get him back to hitting on open ice. He had a good game and he is starting to pick up the physical play again. Got rewarded with an assist tonight also. Was a good game for Hammer.

Leddy is falling off the offensive end a bit lately but his defensive game has been a bit better. I'll take the trade off. I thought those 2 had a good game as a pair tonight.

Hossa will hit top 10 soon also. We have solid 2 scoring lines since the proper adjustments have been made. We get the 3rd scoring a bit more and supporting that end of the game and it's skies the limit.

Still loving Meyers also.

Nice shades, where did you get those?

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Snapped there struggles? They blew a two goal lead and gave up a point. Glad they won, and 2nd line was great but they still struggled...

oh and Stalberg sucks.

Ton

Liked Posts:
Considering they haven't won there in 9 years... joo know?

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Yeah, I guess that makes sense. Semantics. To me they still struggled. Loved seeing how happy they were to win in OT and not have to worry about shootout. Hope the excitement carries on. Couldn't really tell for sure but to me emery seemed solid.

howcho

Liked Posts:
Enjoyable game for sure. Very happy to see the PK with a solid showing. I say start Emory again.

roshinaya

fnord
Donator
Liked Posts:
Snapped there struggles? They blew a two goal lead and gave up a point. Glad they won, and 2nd line was great but they still struggled...

Who cares if they gave up a point when it goes to the other conference. They won it in OT which gives them a ROW, which can make a difference, so considering all that they did well. They blew a two goal lead, but not by a lack of effort which should count as something. In my eyes if the team gives an honest effort it redeems them a lot, even if they end up losing. Now some comments.

Good solid game and the defense played a respectable game for once. They did a good job on the PK and killing that bogus 5-3 was a job well done. Great to see Hossa getting his 400th goal, a very impressive feat, wasn't a beauty but a fun goal nonetheless. Good to see Hammer deck a guy with good hard hit, hopefully he'll get that mojo back. I say Emery stays in goal for the next game, he made the necessary saves.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
A few thoughts:

Gratz to Hossa on #400.

The penalty call on Kane was complete horseshit.

Emery looking strong.

Top two lines put on consistent pressure through the game.

Mayers has been steady all year.

Please Q, just leave Kane/Toews and Dunc/Seabs together for good.

Pez68

Fire Quenneville
Liked Posts:
The two goals they gave up were a result of Q's fucking Special person system, and NOT the Hawks blowing the lead in their typical fashion. If Q had wingers covering the point instead of collapsing down those goals could be prevented.