A.I. considering retirement?

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
Memphis Grizzlies owner Michael Heisley has shot down the idea that Allen Iverson is mulling retirement as he takes an indefinite leave of absence for a personal matter.

Frustration stemming from his reserve role combined with the stress related to a recent family issue has caused Iverson to consider hanging up his jersey for good, The Commercial Appeal of Memphis reported Monday morning.

But Heisley said there was no indication of such consideration by the 34-year-old guard, and the owner told the newspaper that "if he was going to retire, he'd tell me first."

Iverson returned to his home in Atlanta late last week with Heisley's permission.

"I expect him to come back," Heisley said. "If he does retire, I'll be tremendously disappointed. I feel bad because I don't think that's the way he should go out."

Iverson has played in three games since returning from a hamstring injury, averaging 12.3 points, 3.7 assists and 22.3 minutes. But he has expressed displeasure over coming off the bench thus far this season.

"It's something that I never did in my life, so obviously it's a big adjustment," he said last week. "I'm so tired of discussing that, talking about that, every single day. It's just not something that I want to discuss."

Iverson has also acknowledged he had become a distraction.

"When I hear anything about the Memphis Grizzlies, I don't hear you guys talk about anything other than the situation with me coming off the bench," he said Friday. "I mean, there's got to be something else with this team to talk about besides that. But I guess that sells a lot better than anything else when it comes to this team."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4637219

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
Let him go, sit his ass down somewhere with all that garbage.....

TheStig

Liked Posts:
So when does AI get traded to the knicks? Thats the only place he can play his game this year.

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
I've loved A.I. for years. He was an inspiration to all use short guys. He was the littlest superstar in the NBA, with the heart of a Lion. He would light up the scoreboard every night, throwing his body around without a care other than putting the ball in the hoop. He played with fire, passion, & no fear. This led to 4 scoring titles & imho, the title of greatest little man to ever play in the NBA.

Now I fear his legacy is in serious jeopardy. And it makes me sad. It's obvious to everyone that A.I. is not the player he was 3 seasons ago, when he averaged 26ppg. Obvious to everyone but A.I. A.I. is a guy who's always needed a ton of shots in order to produce. He's always had the ball in his hands. The offense has always run through him. But you can't fight age, & A.I.'s body has taken quite a beating during his 14 NBA seasons. It's been apparent over the last 2 years that the nicks & bruises are catching up to him.

Does he deserve to start? Well he's coming off an injury I say no, but I understand his reasoning, but what I don't understand is HOW WAS THIS NOT MADE CLEAR DURING CONTRACT NEGOTIATIONS!? Did Memphis really promise they would start him? Memphis stinks either way, which is why I think A.I. wants to start, because he feels hes better than Conley or Mayo. I say prove it.

My hope is A.I. dig deeps, swallows his pride, gets that competitive fire back, & plays that way with the minutes he's given. There's no shame in being a 6th man. Many great players have gone out gracefully in that role before him. My fear is that A.I. will just be A.I., & will never relinquish his position & could possibly be on his way out of the NBA.

Who will take A.I. when he's released?

Shakes

Iconoclast
Liked Posts:
The Knicks fans want him (for the cap space).

TheStig

Liked Posts:
Shakes wrote:
The Knicks fans want him (for the cap space).

Even if its not for cap space, just expiring for expiring, AI would be awesome with that team. And by awesome, I mean he might be able to sneak that crappy team into the playoffs if he has anything left in the tank. I really don't understand why they aren't going hard after him, even if he fails they just buy him out. But if they could do JJ for him, that would be a home run.

Shakes

Iconoclast
Liked Posts:
I don't think Iverson solves anything for the Knicks. They need another three point shooter, at the moment they stink at it, and it's what D'Antoni needs to make the offense he wants to run work.

TheStig

Liked Posts:
Shakes wrote:
I don't think Iverson solves anything for the Knicks. They need another three point shooter, at the moment they stink at it, and it's what D'Antoni needs to make the offense he wants to run work.
They shoot horribly from three because they are shooting a bunch of contested shots. They have no number 1 or 2 options, they have a bunch of 3 or 4 options. AI would take the majority of the defensive attention and create opportunities.

Shakes

Iconoclast
Liked Posts:
They're shooting awfully because other than Gallinari everyone else is either a chucker (Hughes, Harrington) or has no business shooting outside of the paint (Chandler, Duhon, Jefferies). I really don't think Iverson in his prime could make the Knicks offense work, yet alone now.

pinkizdead

Liked Posts:
would he work under the d'antoni offense?

TheStig

Liked Posts:
Shakes wrote:
They're shooting awfully because other than Gallinari everyone else is either a chucker (Hughes, Harrington) or has no business shooting outside of the paint (Chandler, Duhon, Jefferies). I really don't think Iverson in his prime could make the Knicks offense work, yet alone now.

I think he could really help handling the ball. Dan tonys offense needs someone who can pass and break down the defense. AI could do that if he wanted too. He certainly couldn't be worse than the rest of them.

TheStig

Liked Posts:
pinkizdead wrote:
would he work under the d'antoni offense?

If he passes a bit, he would work well. They need someone who can break down the defense, they only have a bunch of 3rd or 4th options on that team. I am not saying he will take them to the finals but he will make them competitive for that 8th seed.

JimmyBulls

Liked Posts:
Iverson is a guy that needs a team to be built around him, and unfortunately he's not a good enough player to be that guy anymore. AI should just call it a career.

ramblingrose33

Liked Posts:
The Knicks need anything right now. All they have are memories and from what I hear, they're getting a little fuzzy. They seriously think Starks dunked on Jordan! That's all I hear from Knick fans.

jsain360

Liked Posts:
Shakes wrote:

Add injured Nate Robinson to that chucker list