A look back at Aldon Smiths Combine Numbers

AussieBear

Just for some perspective, lets take a look at Aldon Smith, who was selected 7th by the 49ers in the 2011 draft. Coming into the 2011 draft, a lot of so called draft experts had Smith going mid to late in the first, though he suprised some by going 7th as i mentioned above.

College tackle and sack numbers at Mizzu:

2009 - 60 tackles 11 sacks
2010 - 48 tackles 6 sacks

Combine:

Ht. 6'4 1/4 in
Wt. 263
Arm Length: 35 3/8
Hand Size: 10 In
40: 4.74
10 yd split: 1.66
20 yd split: 2.70
20 ss: 4.50
3 cone: 7.19
vert: 34 in
broad 9ft 10 in
Bench: 20 reps

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
I really wish Gregory came into the combine at 250 so we could see how he ran and how he moved at that weight.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
There hasn't been a single point in the past year that I've been high on Gregory. Personally, I think Williams is the best player in the entire draft. For the Bears, I'd be happy with Fowler, Beasley, Ray, in order. Dupree is interesting too but I don't have a feel on him one way or another.

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
If you go and watch Aldon Smith Highlights, he has gotten really good using his hands and he uses his arm length to his advantage on almost every sack he has (just from the highlights fyi).

I'm really interested to see what Gregory ends up weighing at his pro day. If he gets up to 250 and performs well in the drills (he probably wont run the 40) then he could see his stock rocket up again.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The combine creates so much hype for athletes in shorts , too bad they play in pads.

Liked Posts:
If you go and watch Aldon Smith Highlights, he has gotten really good using his hands and he uses his arm length to his advantage on almost every sack he has (just from the highlights fyi).

I'm really interested to see what Gregory ends up weighing at his pro day. If he gets up to 250 and performs well in the drills (he probably wont run the 40) then he could see his stock rocket up again.

It won't help if he puts on the weight and doesn't run the 40 - people want to see what he runs at a heavier weight. I want to see what kind of 10 or 20-yard split he has, because I sure as hell don't want him playing at 230.

Liked Posts:
I've always wondered why don't they do the drills in pads. Johny was the first I believe to do his pro day in pads.

Indeed.

I'd have more respect for the 40 if they ran it in pads, too. Nobody plays football in shorts.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
The combine creates so much hype for athletes in shorts , too bad they play in pads.
Obviously you didn't watch the game 2 years ago when they settled a tie with the Cowboys over the broad jump.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Indeed.

I'd have more respect for the 40 if they ran it in pads, too. Nobody plays football in shorts.

Totally agree, make these guys have a helmet & pads on. Not those damn leotards they wear. Scouts and teams value the combine much less than the fans and media does.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I really wish Gregory came into the combine at 250 so we could see how he ran and how he moved at that weight.

Lets see what happens at his pro day.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
What was his hotel mini bar score?

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
There hasn't been a single point in the past year that I've been high on Gregory. Personally, I think Williams is the best player in the entire draft. For the Bears, I'd be happy with Fowler, Beasley, Ray, in order. Dupree is interesting too but I don't have a feel on him one way or another.

My only fear with Dupree is that he was the best player on a bad team so he looked great. His measureables look the part but the production wasn't overly impressive. Gregory is the better athlete.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Lets see what happens at his pro day.

Gregory will likely be mid 240's at his pro day. You'd like to see his weight up but keep in mind this was a kid in a CFB weight training program and on a college diet. Plus, these coaches might want kids playing at certain weights. We saw it with Sutton. Lot's of context being missed here. Gregory is 6'5 and a freak athlete. I have little concern that once he's in the pro's he could hold and maintain 250-260 with little problem.

Liked Posts:
My only fear with Dupree is that he was the best player on a bad team so he looked great. His measureables look the part but the production wasn't overly impressive. Gregory is the better athlete.

So was Dion Jordan; an incredible athlete, but not a very good football player.

Gregory is dead last on my list of 1st round OLBs we are considering.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
So was Dion Jordan; an incredible athlete, but not a very good football player.

Gregory is dead last on my list of 1st round OLBs we are considering.

Jordan is also a knucklehead and has been suspended. Plus he's been caught in the middle of a scheme switch and wants to play DE rather than OLB. Not really an apples to apples comp.

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
Gregory is much more natural instincts as a pass rusher than Jordan did coming out. Gregory only has 7 sacks this year but only played 9 full games and was never near 100%. But also had 10.5 sacks (13 games) his first year at Nebraska. Jordan never had more than 7.5 sacks (14 games)