A look back at Aldon Smiths Combine Numbers

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My list of OLB's:

Fowler

Gregory/Dupree/Beasley you can mix and match. I'm not high on Ray at all. It's a coin flip/crap shoot but I'd be happy with any of the first three. I'd be real cautious on Ray. One year wonder production wise always kind of concerns me. Would rather see a guy produce multiple seasons.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
I don't see Gregory as being a better athlete then Dupree. Dupree @ 35lbs heavier ran faster, jumped higher and farther. Dupree's combine was jaw dropping for his size.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I don't see Gregory as being a better athlete then Dupree. Dupree @ 35lbs heavier ran faster, jumped higher and farther. Dupree's combine was jaw dropping for his size.

It's a thin margin. It's not like I'm calling Dupree Shea Mac FWIW. Dupree's combine numbers were really good but putting on the tape I felt like Gregory used his better on the field. Demonstrated better hip bend etc.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
It's a thin margin. It's not like I'm calling Dupree Shea Mac FWIW. Dupree's combine numbers were really good but putting on the tape I felt like Gregory used his better on the field. Demonstrated better hip bend etc.
I get it. I just think Dupree has more to work with. If Fangio is looking for a ball of clay to mould, I think Dupree has more to work with. Id still be happy with Gregory. His upside is nice but I feel he has a higher bust potential.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
My list of OLB's:

Fowler

Gregory/Dupree/Beasley you can mix and match. I'm not high on Ray at all. It's a coin flip/crap shoot but I'd be happy with any of the first three. I'd be real cautious on Ray. One year wonder production wise always kind of concerns me. Would rather see a guy produce multiple seasons.

Beasley is the one that concerns me of the group. He demonstrates the least power on tape by far. I wouldn't worry about Ray as a one year wonder as he produced in a rotation with Ealy and Sam the year prior and when he got his chance to start he fucked shit up.

I agree with your assessment Fowler is cream of the crop. He is by far the most complete player as he shows burst, closing speed, a ton of hand power, effective rush moves including a top-notch swim and rip. Fowler has also shown he can rush from any position including as an ILB like Packers did with Matthews this year and he has dropped into coverage.

Behind him Dupree has shown the most versatility but is probably the most raw as far as pass rush is concerned, but that doesn't concern me because Fangio will improve his hand work like he did with Aldon Smith.

Ray to me is the best pure pass rusher at this point and projects well as a 34 rush backer who will be used in space. The only concern I have with Gregory is his weight. If Gregory can put on 20 lbs and move as well as he does now he could easily be the best of the group as his length is unmatched in the class.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I get it. I just think Dupree has more to work with. If Fangio is looking for a ball of clay to mould, I think Dupree has more to work with. Id still be happy with Gregory. His upside is nice but I feel he has a higher bust potential.

I can see this. Dupree has a higher floor simply because of his frame already. You're talking about a guy that even if he doesn't turn into a dominant edge rusher at the Joker/Jack you can transition him with his Ht/Wt to an end or a Will or Sam OLB.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Beasley is the one that concerns me of the group. He demonstrates the least power on tape by far. I wouldn't worry about Ray as a one year wonder as he produced in a rotation with Ealy and Sam the year prior and when he got his chance to start he fucked shit up.

I just always like to see multiple years of someone being "the man".

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
I can see this. Dupree has a higher floor simply because of his frame already. You're talking about a guy that even if he doesn't turn into a dominant edge rusher at the Joker/Jack you can transition him with his Ht/Wt to an end or a Will or Sam OLB.
Exactly.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
I just always like to see multiple years of someone being "the man".

Which is definitely understandable. I am comfortable with the production Ray has combined with his elite physical traits and the passion he plays with. Dude flies around like a bat out of hell and I think he is going to keep offensive coordinators up at night. Obviously that is my opinion and some will disagree but to me he has everything you look for in a rush backer and I would love to see him grow under Fangio's tutelage.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
My list of OLB's:

Fowler

I'm starting to think V.Beasley has jumped to #2 on my list after Fowler.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
My list of OLB's:

Fowler

My concerns with Ray are twofold: First, he doesn't play with effective power on tape. Second, he only has one real move and that's speed around the edge. No counters or inside move. Any NFL OT can compensate against a one move rusher, no matter how incredible that move is.