A roundup of deadline thoughts.

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Most interesting part of this was learning that Jonah Keri writes for Grantland.

I might have to give the website another shot now.

AceCubbie

Liked Posts:
Thanks for the link. Obviously it's not surprising to read any of those thoughts. But the sheer volume from non-Cubs writers was overwhelming.

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So while you can't really defend Hendry after this trade deadline we still don't know what was offered.

Sure the Rangers asked about Marmol, but they obviously weren't willing to give up anything for Heath Bell so what makes you think they would give up anything for Marmol?

Aramis could have gone to Pittsburgh but he obviously doesn't want to go back and there is definitely some bad blood there (and before someone says "Well maybe Hendry shouldn't hand out NTC's like they are candy WAHHHH!!!" he has 10-5 rights so that NTC matters none here.

As for Pena seeing what was offered for Fukudome if we are going to get type B compensation for him I would rather go down that route anyhow so I am kinda glad he wasn't traded. Plus there is still time and he will probably pass waivers anyhow.

Reed Johnson? Well he should have been gone for well anything you could get.

Marshall again unless you are getting something decent. We don't know what was out there.

Comparing him to Wade is kind of silly because Pence and Bourn are much better pieces than anything we have to offer (sans Castro).

Hendry traded the one starter who we could get nothing for when he leaves, so that's okay, but I honestly think that no matter what Hendry did/does people are going to hate it.

Would I have loved to have seen moves? Sure, but I don't want them just making trades to make trades.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Would I have loved to have seen moves? Sure, but I don't want them just making trades to make trades.

This is a statement I can agree with.

The converse is that you want to get your twenty cents on the dollar before they become zero cents on the dollar as Jonah Keri stated.

Since the Cubs don't seem to have a plan at the moment, we can't really tell WTF they were thinking at the trade deadline. It is entirely possible that they didn't want to get fleeced in a trade even if the people to be moved have to be moved. And there's still the waiver deadline, so maybe contenders get a bit more desperate. Maybe that's what Hendry is hoping for.

Or maybe the Cubs are just completely Special person.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats

The converse is that you want to get your twenty cents on the dollar before they become zero cents on the dollar as Jonah Keri stated.

Since the Cubs don't seem to have a plan at the moment, we can't really tell WTF they were thinking at the trade deadline. It is entirely possible that they didn't want to get fleeced in a trade even if the people to be moved have to be moved. And there's still the waiver deadline, so maybe contenders get a bit more desperate. Maybe that's what Hendry is hoping for.

The latter is the most likely scenario.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Weren't the Rangers interest in Marmol proved to be wrong. I seem to recall reading in more than one place claiming that the Rangers never called the Cubs about Marmol.

bobferg

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
this is a statement i can agree with.

The converse is that you want to get your twenty cents on the dollar before they become zero cents on the dollar as jonah keri stated.

yes

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Weren't the Rangers interest in Marmol proved to be wrong. I seem to recall reading in more than one place claiming that the Rangers never called the Cubs about Marmol.

It was either that or Hendry told them to jog off.

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Yeah I can agree with that, but the only person I can really see who will drop to zero at this point in time is Reed Johnson, but I think he will go in September anyhow. Grabow is kind of in the boat, but he sucks so much I am not sure you could get a bag of sunflower seeds even if you paid all the contract.

If we don't offer Pena arby I will flip out.

As for the relievers just because they aren't closing out meaningful games now doesn't mean they won't in the future.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
The guys most likely to move from $.20 to zero are already at zero and couldn't be moved. The only guys that appeared to be able to be moved were two relievers in their twenties that the team controlled for two more years and a CF that is signed for more year. Unless you think Byrd is going to fall off a cliff this coming year I think the odds of being able to get something for him next year is pretty decent.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think they're looking to move guys at the waiver deadline because the market was pretty meh even at the regular trade deadline.

I also think you don't offer arb to Pena because he's not going to decline it and he's going to get a pay raise if it gets to that point.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

we will never know the facts about who called who. Just because it is reported doesnt make it true.

The fact that he didnt get rid of guys is A) he is Special person B) Ricketts has his paws on him and wouldnt let him make moves for the future of the franchise since he may not be here next year.

Trading marmol would have been ideal, they would have gotten a lot for him. This is a closer who has peaked as stoney, bernsteing, olney have said multiple times. Why hang onto a peaked closer when he wont be closing a world series anytime soon.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
we will never know the facts about who called who. Just because it is reported doesnt make it true.

The fact that he didnt get rid of guys is A) he is Special person B) Ricketts has his paws on him and wouldnt let him make moves for the future of the franchise since he may not be here next year.

Trading marmol would have been ideal, they would have gotten a lot for him. This is a closer who has peaked as stoney, bernsteing, olney have said multiple times. Why hang onto a peaked closer when he wont be closing a world series anytime soon.

Do you think Marmol's value would be higher this year after the issues he had just a few weeks ago or if he puts up a season closer to 2010 next year?

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Do you think Marmol's value would be higher this year after the issues he had just a few weeks ago or if he puts up a season closer to 2010 next year?

That is stating that he is closing next year and that again, the league hasnt adjusted to him, which they have.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
That is stating that he is closing next year and that again, the league hasnt adjusted to him, which they have.

It took the league 316 games and over 385 innings to adjust to him. It isn't more likely that the drop in velocity and the more frequent than ever before in his career flat slider is more a cause of the struggles he experienced.

Since he has closed to the past 2 games I am going to say he at least get a crack at closing next year. Trading Marmol now would be an example of the Cubs selling low on a guy. Now if you want to argue that the Cubs should have traded him in the offseason after his amazing 2010, then that is a different argument. But trading him at the deadline this year would not be trading him for peak value.