"Aaron Rodgers is overrated: Why he's not a top-five quarterback"

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Regardless of the OP, Rodgers scares the shit out of me. Though would agree that he probably has seen his best years. Father Time is undefeated.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I never thought I would see the day where Bears fans would be rationalizing the quarterback play of a divisional rival that has been ruining their seasons for the better part of a decade.
How does it look from way way up there?

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
I will only stop "fearing" Rodgers when he retires. For now until Mitch wins a SB, he's the best in the NFC.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have enjoyed the McCarthy era very much, and the fact that they went behind Aaron and acquired a coach he hates already...

hahahahahahahaha

As for the guy himself...I've never seen anything like him in terms of timing + scrambling + arm + accuracy.

The eye test says he is a fucking god. Following their history closely as a Bears fan says McCarthy was an arrogant fuck who held the GOAT back immeasurably.

I fear the present Aaron Rodgers with an actual running back for the first time in a long time, ALOT.

However, his dedication to yoga and flexibility and being a fragile little cock sucker is hilarious. I aspire to both power lifting and yoga....and I don't understand why he found yoga and turned his back on mass and power. He has been a fragile little girl since dating Olivia.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I have enjoyed the McCarthy era very much, and the fact that they went behind Aaron and acquired a coach he hates already...

hahahahahahahaha

As for the guy himself...I've never seen anything like him in terms of timing + scrambling + arm + accuracy.

The eye test says he is a fucking god. Following their history closely as a Bears fan says McCarthy was an arrogant fuck who held the GOAT back immeasurably.

I fear the present Aaron Rodgers with an actual running back for the first time in a long time, ALOT.

However, his dedication to yoga and flexibility and being a fragile little cock sucker is hilarious. I aspire to both power lifting and yoga....and I don't understand why he found yoga and turned his back on mass and power. He has been a fragile little girl since dating Olivia.

Mike McCarthy was an idiot but make no mistake it was Ted Thompson that royally fucked the Packers. As much as we talk about how bad our GMs have been at drafting...Ted was on a whole different level of bad for what seemed like forever. Matter of fact I just had to look it up, he was their GM for 12 years and nearly singlehandedly wasted Rodgers' prime.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Currently based on his age and the past couple of years, he is a #5-#8 tier 2 QB, If you can't see that, then I have no idea what to tell you. The eye test says so and stats back it up also

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
yea...if anyone told me to take a QB for a team I'm starting today solely for 1 season....right now...Mahomes might be the only one I take over Rodgers.

Now if you're asking me top 5 QBs of all time, I don't think Rodgers makes my top 5 or he might barely squeeze in there
If you would take Rodgers to start a team except for Mahomes, you would be fired so fast as GM

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That's what folks said about Brees 5 years ago.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Out of everybody who has said Rodgers isn’t top 5 not a single one of them have named 5 QBs they would rather have.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That's what folks said about Brees 5 years ago.

Ugh... You have to go all the way back to 2012 to get to a season where Drew Brees' completion percentage was lower than 68%. Rodgers has never thrown for 5000 yards in a season and Drew has done it 5 times. You probably wanted to pick another quarterback. Its only now that Drew's arm is showing its age but he still is so damn good that he gets the ball out fast enough to get it to a spot on time for his receivers. In fact in 2018 Drew had the 4th fastest time to throw. So he is still effective because of it.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
Mayfield Mahomes Trubisky Watson Goff are the future 5 Brees Brady Rodgers Big Ben are the past.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
This question is a bit loaded. If you ask someone who they would take for one game or one season Rodgers is up there.

If you are talking about which QBs would a GM want to have for their franchise long term. The answer may be different.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yea but the article says as of today he's not a top 5 player. We're not looking 4 years from now. We're talking this year.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
So what. He will be a HoF quarterback in the end. Doesn't change the fact he has been NFL average the last seasons. He is living off reputation alone right now and even that is fading since analysts are finally calling him out.

I
I remember reading about all this before on Forbes like a month ago.

"Rodgers remains the NFL’s all-time leader in career passer rating (103.1) and touchdown-to-interception ratio (4.23-to-1). But far too often last season, Rodgers didn’t look like the player who will be enshrined in Canton one day.

Rodgers completed 62.3% of his passes in 2018, which ranked 27th among starting quarterbacks and dead last in the NFC North. Rodgers threw for just 25 touchdowns, his fewest number in a season where he’s played at least 10 games.

Rodgers fumbled six times and lost three. And his quarterback rating of 97.6 was his fourth-poorest since becoming a starter.

Rodgers struggled with accuracy and held onto the football too long, which led to him being sacked 49 times — the fifth most in the league. At times, Rodgers also refused to run the plays McCarthy sent into the huddle.

Green Bay fired McCarthy with four games left in the regular season, in part because his relationship with Rodgers was beyond repair. Today, many view Rodgers as a “coach killer.”'

So what. He will be a HoF quarterback in the end. Doesn't change the fact he has been NFL average the last seasons. He is living off reputation alone right now and even that is fading since analysts are finally calling him out.

While true rodgers hasnt been great the last 2 seasons, 1 was an injury season and the other was a respectable year under a lame duck coach.
Go back past those 2 seasons and he had a 40 td, 7 int campaign.

You mention he is living off his reputation- the door swing both ways, he is also being judged on his reputation.
A 25 td season is poor for him. It would also rank the 5th highest single season td total in chicago bears history.
Add to it that he only threw 2 picks, that would be legendary in bears history.
Throw in the yardage, and that places him at #1 all time in bears history... by over 600 yards.
If Trubs put forth the numbers Rodgers put up in 2018, Bears fans would be convinced he is the all time best QB to ever play the game.
I would be out of my mind with joy- Separate the 25 td 2 int season from the name Rodgers, and you would automatically be thinking MVP. Because it is Rodgers, We automatically think of anything less than 30 tds is garbage.

McCarthy should have been fired years ago. He repeatedly underachieved with one of the all time greats under center.
After 11 years of starting under McCarthy, I cant really blame rodgers for playing safe in a lame duck year for a coach that was on his way out.

Since the reality is we are talking about an injury year and a lame duck year when they were 4-7-1 before launching the coach and coasting to the finish line... I would say his numbers in 2018 were pretty good.