Accorsi Thrilled with Management Search

Kazu2324

Liked Posts:
I know people have issues with Hub's articles, but thought it was cool to see how Accorsi viewed the whole process and his thoughts on Pace.

Ernie Accorsi thrilled with Chicago Bears' management search

Ernie Accorsi grew up as a bit of a closet Bears fan.

“I grew up in the ‘50’s and, as a Colts fan, I was not an Eagles fan and you know that division, I lived and died with every game from radio. Most of the games were blacked out. But you know the Bears-Colts rivalry was unbelievable. There were so many games that were historic that I always had this feeling toward the Bears.”

He also shared a special relationship with George Halas and Brian Piccolo, but it’s impossible to tell both stories – Accorsi’s relationship with the Bears and his role in bringing Ryan Pace and John Fox to town – in one sitting, so I’ll deal with the Bears' new general manager and head coach here, then invite you back for Part II later.

Accorsi became a candidate to help the Bears through the NFL league office.

“I’m on this career advisory panel," Accorsi said. "It’s got eight people. Three coaches, (John) Madden, (Tony) Dungy and Denny Green and five general managers: Bill Polian, Charley Casserly, Ron Wolf, Carl Peterson and I. We put a lot of work in, we have levels, we have people we’re identifying that should be considered to be head coaches and the same for GMs.”

It seems Accorsi has had his eye on Pace for some time.

“Two years ago, when I did the Carolina thing, I had Ryan on my list, high to interview. They (New Orleans) couldn’t deny permission but he turned the interview down. He was going to stay. But I’ve tracked him ever since."

Accorsi had a prototype for Pace.

“When I started this I looked at teams that have talent and I looked at teams that have players winning that were picked in the fourth, fifth and sixth rounds like Pittsburgh," Accorsi said. "They keep winning, they keep losing players and they keep replacing them with draft choices. Kevin Colbert’s one of the best, and I look at who’s picking players for him.

“So, this time I called Ryan’s agent and said 'You know, I don’t want to go through that again if he’s not interested, and it wasn’t that he wasn’t interested, they (New Orleans) didn’t want to lose him.

“So that’s how he (Pace) got my attention early. When this came up, he was very high on my list but I’d never met him. I talked to him on the telephone a couple times before his interview, and then he came in for his interview and we, all three of us (George McCaskey and Ted Phillips), really liked him.

“You could see he was ready. I look at him and you know I probably couldn’t do the job today, there’s too much technology that leaves me behind. He’s very modern, cutting edge, and the way they use computers and everything, but the one thing I noticed about him is he’s got a throwback soul to him. He cares about tradition, he cares about history and those are rare things today.”

Accorsi’s connection to John Fox is well known, but if you’re a conspiracy theorist, forget it. Asked if he expected Fox would be available, he said absolutely not.

“No. I heard rumors but I did not (believe them), actually," Accorsi said. "When I was watching the (Colts) game, I never thought 'Gee, I’m glad they lost, maybe he’s going to get fired.' That never entered my mind.”

Accorsi agrees with Pace that it wasn’t hard to jump once Fox hit the market.

“I saw Ryan’s comment, which was very accurate. When he became available, that was a game-changer for us.”

Still, Accorsi says Fox getting the job was no sure thing.

“When he became available, there were six jobs open," Accorsi said. "I knew it was going to be very competitive. There was no question in my mind I’d recommend him, but the other three people didn’t know him.

“When he came in, it clicked with Ryan right away, and George and Ted liked him too. Of course, it was the old John Fox to me, his office (Giants) was right next to mine, so I knew him very, very well. But they had to feel comfortable with him. Then Ryan went out himself for a second interview in Denver and that’s when they pretty much had a conviction.”

The one subject Accorsi won’t address is Jay Cutler.

“You know, I never got into that and here’s why it’s not fair for me to say much. I always felt that, with any player but particularly with a quarterback, that you’ve got to put your hands on him. By that I mean I can’t evaluate him from the couch.

“They don’t know yet. They both feel there’s talent there but they’ve got to make that decision. You know, I’ve been in the quarterback business my whole career. I didn’t always have the top quarterback available when I took a job, but you’ve got to have somebody like that (Cutler) who can play.”

Accorsi can’t be more grateful for being allowed to help put this new Bears management team together.

“I told those guys 'Thanks for making me a Bear, I’m going to be a Bear for life now.'”

Source: http://chicagofootball.com/2015/01/...with-chicago-bears-management-search/ak3eg4c/

Kazu2324

Liked Posts:
Part II on Accorsi's connection with Brian Piccolo and George Halas, also found it really interesting. Hope everyone enjoys.

Accorsi had Chicago Bears connection, dating back to college days with Brian Piccolo

A significant majority of Chicago Bears fans have spent the past week or two celebrating their belief that, this time around, the McCaskeys have gotten it right in retooling the leadership of their football operation.

The difference between this and their past four attempts over the past 23 years is the stewardship of Ernie Accorsi.

The former general manager of the Baltimore Colts, Cleveland Browns and New York Giants has served as a consultant to the NFL since his retirement following the 2007 season.

About 13 years ago, Accorsi and I became friendly after the loss of a close mutual friend and, when we sat down to visit about the arrival in Ryan Pace and John Fox in Chicago and his part in the process, he explained the details of his consulting relationship with the NFL and something else I didn’t know.

He was also a good college buddy of Brian Piccolo, a protégé early in his career of George Halas, and he had long dreamed of working with the Bears.

Prior to this, Accorsi had assisted the Falcons in the hiring of Thomas Dimitroff and consulted the Panthers on the hiring of Dave Gettleman as their general managers.

“I did that, that (Panthers) was two years ago and it was a lot of work," Accorsi said. "Not as much work as this. This was pretty intense and I did it, to be honest with you, not to be patronizing but I did it because it was the Bears.”

His first connection to the Bears was Piccolo.

“Brian and I were in the same dorm at Wake Forest, Davis Dorm.” With a bit of a snicker, Accorsi added, “You know I loved the movie, but James Caan wasn’t Brian. You know, Brian was so humble. I mean, he had a wit, but you had to almost say 'What did you say?' to get the wit out because he was so quiet.”

Accorsi recalls one of the benefits of being friends with Piccolo.

“There were about probably 10 Catholics on campus at Wake Forest in 1961," he said. "You know, I went there because I thought I was going to be a big shot golfer and it turned out I couldn’t make the team.

“You had to hitchhike to Mass. It was tough to get a ride, but people would take a shortcut through campus to get to the other side of town. So I always asked Piccolo, you know, what Mass are you going to because people, you know, would skid to a stop when they saw him, so I’d be able to get a ride.”

Here is another one of Accorsi’s favorite Piccolo stories.

“Freshmen had their own schedule, were not eligible for varsity and they played Friday nights," Accorsi said. "So, I’m sitting on a chair and he’s sitting on the bed in the fall of ’61 and he says his ankle’s all swollen, he can’t even get his shoe on, and he says ‘This is the first time I’ve ever been hurt in my life and I knew I was going to get hurt.’ I said ‘What do you mean you knew you were going to get hurt?’ He said ‘because I ate meat on Friday for the first time in my life.’

“Now, you know he didn’t say it as a joke. He did it in almost a child-like way and he was just the sweetest guy in the world. He just never changed. We weren’t inseparable brothers, but we were pretty good friends.”

Accorsi said that, when the opportunity to consult for the Bears came along, it was a pretty easy call.

“I’m just very historically conscious," he said. "You know, I walked in that office (Halas Hall) every day and saw all those retired numbers, I saw Brian’s up there and it just mean a lot to me so that’s why I did it.”

Additionally, there was his admiration of Papa Bear.

“When I worked at the league office, my title was assistant to the president of the NFC. Those jobs don’t exist any more, and I worked for (Pete) Rozelle, but you know George Halas was the president. It was a ceremonial position, basically, but he would do check presentations and hand out the trophy.

“Well, one day we took a car over to Sloan-Kettering and it was 1975. Ed McCaskey was in the back seat, I was in the back seat, and Mr. Halas was in the front to make a check presentation for the Brian Piccolo Cancer Fund to Dr. Ted Beatti, who was Brian’s doctor at Sloan-Kettering.

“I was in the background, I just stood there with Ed and he (Halas) was talking to Beatti and they made the presentation. Halas was in the front seat going back and he was very quiet. Then he turned around to us and said ‘I talked to Dr. Beatti, they could have cured Brian today,’ and tears were coming down his eyes.

“You know, he’d ask me about Brian and what he was like and everything and I said 'You know, I didn’t see all that busting the chops personality. He was so quiet and humble then.'

“... all that really added to it when the Bears called. You know, I worked for the Colts, Giants and Browns and adding the Bears to that, it means a lot to me.”

In large part, it may have meant so much to Accorsi as much because of Halas as Piccolo.

“You know, Mr. Halas, I was a nobody, I was as low as you could get on the totem pole with Rozelle (working in the league office) and he (Halas) took a special interest in me because of Piccolo. So, I said, 'You know if I’m not going to do this any more, this would be a great one to go out on.' ”

Right about now, an awful lot of Bears fans are glad the Bears and Accorsi found each other again.

Source: http://chicagofootball.com/2015/01/...k-to-college-days-with-brian-piccolo/aigf1oo/

Mitchapalooza

"Accorsi had Chicago Bears connection, dating back to college days with Brian Piccolo"

WOW NOW I HATE EVERYONE WE HIRED!!! SAME OLD BAERS!!! CHEAPSKATES!!! WE NEED NEW BLOOD!!!

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
What's he supposed to say, "Wow, the Bears wasted a ton of money on me"! "I'm not worthy of this position, I tell ya, I'm not worthy, I'm scum, I suck!!!!!!

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
“They don’t know yet. They both feel there’s talent there but they’ve got to make that decision. You know, I’ve been in the quarterback business my whole career. I didn’t always have the top quarterback available when I took a job, but you’ve got to have somebody like that (Cutler) who can play.”

Fanboy

Kazu2324

Liked Posts:
What's he supposed to say, "Wow, the Bears wasted a ton of money on me"! "I'm not worthy of this position, I tell ya, I'm not worthy, I'm scum, I suck!!!!!!

Could have said nothing? I dunno, thought it was interesting and that some members on the board might find it informative and interesting. Also thought it was cool that Pace was on Accorsi's list for a while now and sort of a bit more insight as to why that was the case. Also liked the story on Piccolo and Halas too and was just a nice read. Nothing really informative I guess, just interesting for some.

Alterego

Master Debater
Donator
Liked Posts:
“I’m on this career advisory panel," Accorsi said. "It’s got eight people. Three coaches, (John) Madden, (Tony) Dungy and Denny Green and five general managers: Bill Polian, Charley Casserly, Ron Wolf, Carl Peterson and I. We put a lot of work in, we have levels, we have people we’re identifying that should be considered to be head coaches and the same for GMs.”

03romeo.600.1.jpg

if you look closely, Ommy is with the group

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Could have said nothing? I dunno, thought it was interesting and that some members on the board might find it informative and interesting. Also thought it was cool that Pace was on Accorsi's list for a while now and sort of a bit more insight as to why that was the case. Also liked the story on Piccolo and Halas too and was just a nice read. Nothing really informative I guess, just interesting for some.

:beer:

Newblood

Liked Posts:
"Accorsi had Chicago Bears connection, dating back to college days with Brian Piccolo"

WOW NOW I HATE EVERYONE WE HIRED!!! SAME OLD BAERS!!! CHEAPSKATES!!! WE NEED NEW BLOOD!!!

Yes? I'm here, what now?

strockrocks

Liked Posts:
If we ever win a Superbowl with this staff, we'll make him a statue outside Soldier.

Escobar's Army

Liked Posts:
At the least it's refreshing to know we won't lose due to coaching. We will lose some games due to talent, but our staff should keep us competitive.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
At the least it's refreshing to know we won't lose due to coaching. We will lose some games due to talent, but our staff should keep us competitive.

While Im not nearly as down on the Fox hire as I was, in fact due to the staff hes put together Im not down on it at all, youre getting way too ahead of yourself; Fox has never been known as a great game day coach, he will at times be out coached and he will make some boneheaded in game decisions.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
This staff by no means guarantees anything. What it does give us is a guaranteed competent staff that will have a better chance of putting us in the best position to win football games.

GBlaze08

Member in Ommys mouth
Liked Posts:
If we ever win a Superbowl with this staff, we'll make him a statue outside Soldier.

That's no way to treat a guy who brings a superbowl win here. How about we just make a statue of him instead?

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Accorsi's respect for the organization is endearing, but the most important thing was his NFL connections. We'll see how it ends up, but it's pretty hard to criticize the coaching hires. I think Pace will have to grow, but Fox seems like someone who will help and Pace seems like someone who will accept input.

dabears253313

Liked Posts:

Fanboy

LOL. Hey, even though he's done stuff in the NFL some posters will say he doesn't know what he's talking about, right?

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
LOL. Hey, even though he's done stuff in the NFL some posters will say he doesn't know what he's talking about, right?
Duh!

We've been dupped my man! The posters on here know a lot more than Arcossi. His opinion is one in which he obviously is just a fanboy!

I just don't get what some as fans don't understand that apparently some high ranking personnel people do?

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Duh!

We've been dupped my man! The posters on here know a lot more than Arcossi. His opinion is one in which he obviously is just a fanboy!

I just don't get what some as fans don't understand that apparently some high ranking personnel people do?

DesBro, I guarantee you nobody on this board knows as much as Accorsi. That said, you do realize that his opinion on Cutler wasn't exactly a ringing endorsement.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Interesting stuff. But damn, that first article is written like shit. With all the pronouns, I kept losing track of who Hub/Accorsi was referring to.