I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I think fields will be better than #4, but otherwise I agree with his rankings. Not that it matters, since the good ones will be gone before the bears pick. Bears left to dumpster dive per usual

zabavka

The owls are not what they seem...
Liked Posts:
Trask as a 5th rounder yikes, just said I'd be fine with him in round 2 in the other thread.

Think he'll go higher than round 5 for sure, probably 2nd maybe 3rd round.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I would say if you swap Lance and Fields, that I would agree 100%

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
There is no fucking way that Jamie Newman is better than Kyle Trask.

aeronaut

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Northwestern Wildcats

Well, the odds are good that neither will be a top QB, so this question will probably go unanswered. Newman can certainly run better than Trask, and probably has a stronger arm than Trask. But who is the better QB? Hard to say.

Newman did light it up at Wake Forest, and then didn't get a chance to play in the SEC since he opted out due to COVID. Trask did beat out Franks, but he also had a first day TE and a first or high second day WR to throw to.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
I think fields will be better than #4, but otherwise I agree with his rankings. Not that it matters, since the good ones will be gone before the bears pick. Bears left to dumpster dive per usual

I know, I hated it in 2017 when the Bears had to dumpster dive for a QB...

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
Well, the odds are good that neither will be a top QB, so this question will probably go unanswered. Newman can certainly run better than Trask, and probably has a stronger arm than Trask. But who is the better QB? Hard to say.

Newman did light it up at Wake Forest, and then didn't get a chance to play in the SEC since he opted out due to COVID. Trask did beat out Franks, but he also had a first day TE and a first or high second day WR to throw to.
He didn’t light it up at Wake Forest. He had 1 decent season and never eclipsed the 61% completion mark.

Played like shit in camp at UGA, and when he couldn’t beat out JT Daniels, he quit on his team. I don’t want that guy anywhere near the Bears.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
HawkBears QB ranks that I just made up right now and have no analysis but just my gut

1. Lawrence
2. Fields
3. Jones
4. Wilson
5. Lance

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Hoge credits Lance with NDSU record, calling him a winner, then later casually mentions he threw 18 times a game. Ummm.....perhaps NDSU, which has been winning big for years before Lance got there, is the winner. They have won with every QB lately. Why does Lance get the credit for that when he isn't relied on to be the offense?

He also mentions it was a simple offensive system, and Lance struggled against the one decent team he faced. But he seems to minimize those concerns.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
Fields and Lance. Both incredible athletes. Both have good size and a strong arm. Both can improvise and scramble when needed. One faced top-tier competition and has played on the biggest stage under the brightest lights. The other has not. One has faced complex defensive coverages. The other has not. One can hit any throw at any level of the field. The other has the lowest accuracy percentage of passes thrown beyond the LOS of any prospect, by a wide margin. One can start day one and lead a franchise. The other is as raw as they come and needs at least probably 2 years to develop.

Only in a backward matrix-like reality should Lance be rated higher than Fields. Just goes to show that a majority of the people on this board could do a better job as a Bears beat writer.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
He’s a journalist not a professional scout. His rankings are no more valid than anyone’s opinion on this board.

FozzyBear

Token CCS Minority
Liked Posts:

The way Jamie looked at the senior bowl, he cant be better than anyone, can he?

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Love Hoge but he has a really bad habit of going with the trends. In no world is Fields worse than 2. Sorry, just aint.

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
It's crazy how much I agreed with his analysis. Fields was #4 on my list, and I also think Zach Wilson is the most talented quarterback in this class, including Trevor Lawrence. The toughest part about him and Lance's evaluation is the competition they faced. It's hard to project how much of their success was due to that, and how much is natural ability, so the bust potential is high.

I love that we ended up with Fields, and I think he will have a very good career, but I can totally see why he was the 4th quarterback taken.

Last edited: