Adding to the Core, but what is the Core?

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
The Cubs are pretty close on more than a couple of players in the minors getting ready to be added tot he Big League club to enhance the Core.

Two questions:

1) Who makes up the Core today for the MLB Roster?
2) What would it take to say Castro and/or Rizzo is not part of the Core (Assuming that they are right now) in 2014?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Two questions:

2) What would it take to say Castro and/or Rizzo is not part of the Core (Assuming that they are right now) in 2014?

Rizzo and Castro hinge on what they do this year. I believe that Rizzo could hit 30 HR's per and Castro can hit .300 every year.

What they need to move away from is calling players like Barney "core" players. They are not core. They are filler.

But on Rizzo. lets say Olt comes up and pounds 30 HR's and Rizzo again hits .230 with 22 HR's. Bryant is ready. I would be tempted to move Bryant to 1B at that point and try to get a return on Rizzo. Just saying. 1B is premium power and they can not afford to accept filler in those positions.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
What about Castro? What would it take this year to remove him from the Core?

chibears55

Liked Posts:

as the roster stands today...
1. anthony rizzo
2. starlin castro
3. wellington castillo
4. travis wood
5. edwin jackson

for me, a core player is an everyday starter / pitcher who is under team control for 3 or more years..

darwin barney would fall in that category but i have a hard time believing he is in their plans beyond this year as an everyday starter..

to totally flop this year... their both young and signed til 2019, they would have to basically turn into a darwin barney/ian stewart to not be a part of their core any longer..

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I would call Rizzo part of the core. He gives you gold glove caliber defense with plus power. Even if he only hits in the .250-270 range during his career with his ability to walk he'll be an above average player.

Castro I'm honestly not sold on. People are welcome to their opinions but to me he's a league average shortstop. On a good team he wouldn't be hitting in the 1 or 2 slots. He doesn't get on base enough. Add that to the fact that he doesn't have say Tulo type power or the speed many other SS do have and his value is a bit limited to me. I think he can play above average defense but at the same time, if someone blows you away with a trade offer, I think you can get more out of Baez there.

Travis Wood may be smoke and mirrors. Don't get me wrong the guy had a great season and I'm sure at the time of the trade I said that I liked it because he was a talented guy that could turn into this. That said, his BABIP was .248. League averag eis closer to .300. His xFIP is 4.50 which is clearly worse than his 3.11 ERA. I don't see him as a #2. I think even a #3 might be a stretch for him.

I think Castillo could be part of a core. So, I guess I really only see two parts that I feel are long term core players for what will be around when they can compete for a championship. You could potentially throw shark into that mix but I honestly feel they trade him because his age wont jive well with the younger group they have coming in.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
What about Castro? What would it take this year to remove him from the Core?

Baez blasting 30 HR's and playing a higher quality SS than Castro. Then add to it Alcantara would have to pull some wicked numbers at Iowa at 2B.

Then Olt has to pump out 30 ish HR's.

That would change the dynamics of the team quick.

At that point Castro becomes expendable.

so the answer is stack talent and he becomes expendable.

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
I would say right now it's just Castro and Rizzo and I think they both will have great 2014 seasons. I wouldn't put Samardzija or Barney in there.

Nothing wrong with Darwin Barney starting at second base with better players around him. There is also nothing wrong with him being the middle infield backup. If Barney is starting, he will come cheap so then the Cubs can put more money elsewhere. If he is a backup, then he is one of the best middle infield backups in baseball.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Nothing wrong with Darwin Barney starting at second base with better players around him. There is also nothing wrong with him being the middle infield backup. If Barney is starting, he will come cheap so then the Cubs can put more money elsewhere. If he is a backup, then he is one of the best middle infield backups in baseball.

He would be fine on a AL team where they have a DH. He would be ok as an #9 hitter. NL teams can not afford to run out scrub hitters when they are already giving up an out with the pitcher.

In reality what barney is is giving up an out in the line up. He is a .200 hitter and his OBA is at best .300. The runs he saves doesn't compensate for the outs he gives.

If he had an OBA hovering around .350 this would be a non topic and he would be an all star. right now he is a liability

Flacco4Prez

Liked Posts:
It would be harder for me to remove Rizzo than Castro due to the increase pressure from the farm system. It would take a lot. Alcantra, Baez, and Olt would have to come up and really perform well for an extended period. In addition Almora, Bryant, and Soler would have to be on the up and up meaning a spot would be needed (i.e trade Castro). However it is about a million to 1 odds that all that happens

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Well most likely it won't happen. If anything seeing how Jackson, Vitters and Watkins have struggled it is an indicator that it will not easy.

Almora and Bryant I believe will progress and impact the team. Baez has allot of swing and miss so he is questionable. Soler really has not showcased his talent. Even in the fall league he fell back to .260 while Almora at19 and the youngest player in the league is hitting over .300 vs AAA/AA pitching. He has never played at A+ yet. So that alone should indicate where he is. I believe he will be a better hitter than Castro. A Paul Molitor type IMO and has they type of talent that could with luck from injury be a 3000 hit type. Bryant is a beast but he has better strike zone disapline than Baez. Baez has more pure power. Add to it Baez should be in AAA and has had a 37 HR season I can see why he is still ranked #1. But he still has a bigger chance of not making it than those 2. He is an easier out. He will scare the hell out of pitchers but in general his OBA should be lower

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
The Cubs are pretty close on more than a couple of players in the minors getting ready to be added tot he Big League club to enhance the Core.

Two questions:

1. Strictly my opinion, but the core today in no particular order consists of Rizzo, Castillo, Castro, and Shark. I consider core players to be part of the team going forward, and Barney isn't part of that to me. It wouldn't take a whole lot to improve offensive numbers in that department. While the defense is good, there are better options coming.

2. What it would take for me to remove Castro would be a year duplicated to this past one. Looking at times lost, lack of focus, and mental mistakes will be his demise. As for Rizzo, I consider him a safe bet because regardless if he duplicates this kind of year, he already plays a good defensive 1st base and if players get added to the roster and now he becomes a 6 hitter in the line-up versus a 3 hitter, then all of a sudden his numbers don't look half bad.

In fact, I hope Rizzo does get pushed back soon because that would probably mean that the talent coming through the organization has excelled, plus any free agent acquisitions have pushed him there. :popcorn:

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
before this thread gets out of control lets establish what a core is. For example we can say after the 2010 blackhawks season and a little bit before that we had a core, we knew what we had. With the cubs its wayyyy toooo early to discuss core. There is no core yet. If you want to play make believe core shit and go with spec ratings, fine, still means nothing.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
before this thread gets out of control lets establish what a core is. For example we can say after the 2010 blackhawks season and a little bit before that we had a core, we knew what we had. With the cubs its wayyyy toooo early to discuss core. There is no core yet. If you want to play make believe core shit and go with spec ratings, fine, still means nothing.

Our core last year was Viktor Stalberg :troll:

But really though, in addition to the Big 6 + maybe Saad, I'd have been tempted to count Frolik, his impact went far beyond the stat lines, and I rarely concede that. Him on that PK was one of the biggest reasons we were as successful as we were.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:

I'm sorry, what is this Hockey you speak of? :lol:

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
In recent sucess? Yes. In popularity and caring ? No

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

Everyone else's loss, go watch your Dead Wings now.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
How many guys on Roster right now be on team when Cubs win? I say 0 since i think team is still 10+ yrs away from being in playoffs. Way Cubs are rebuilding it takes 10+ yrs. Look at WSN/MON, PIT, KCR, SEA, MIL, etc. When teams rebuild they will miss and miss before they finally hit on enough guys. Cubs will need 10+ drafts before they build team through draft