Adding to the Core, but what is the Core?

Derkach77

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We are super close to being a real solid team. Being patient kinda sucks but we are on the brink. Current roster revolves around Castro and Rizz. Rizzo will be a very good player no doubt because of his personality and willingness to learn. Castro's lazy attitude and demeanor hurt him badly last year. But overall core will end up being Rizzo, Castro (if he shapes up), Wood, Baez, Bryant, Castillo, Lake, CJ Wilson. You can add almora and soler to that whenever they get the call up.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Lake... ummmm.... not happening.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Lake... ummmm.... not happening.

If roids were still in the game he seems like the type that could have been like Sammy.

I don't see it either. He is talented but he has been in the system as long as Vitters has and if he is still rough as a player well that is what he is.

CubbyBear2290

Graham Dougie=UNBEATABLE!
Liked Posts:
For me the "core" as much as I don't really like the word, because every guy is a tradeable and has a price tag on him. Mine would look something like;

1. Anthony Rizzo
2. Kris Bryant
3. Starlin Castro
4. Travis Wood
5. Javy Baez
6. C.J. Edwards
7. Albert Almora
8. Jorge Soler

Thats what would be mine. As the guys near the top are more closely ready, and the guys further down are further away. Those would be mine, but I'm not sure what deals are in place. I think a couple wildcards could be Neil Ramirez, he could be a nice player and I think if Olt turns around does his Adam Dunn 3 or 4 true Outcome act. .250-.260 avg, 25-32 HRs, 340 or so OBP and say 35 or so doubles. That's my thoughts, but I could be dead wrong.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
For me the "core" as much as I don't really like the word, because every guy is a tradeable and has a price tag on him. Mine would look something like;

1. Anthony Rizzo
2. Kris Bryant
3. Starlin Castro
4. Travis Wood
5. Javy Baez
6. C.J. Edwards
7. Albert Almora
8. Jorge Soler

Thats what would be mine. As the guys near the top are more closely ready, and the guys further down are further away. Those would be mine, but I'm not sure what deals are in place. I think a couple wildcards could be Neil Ramirez, he could be a nice player and I think if Olt turns around does his Adam Dunn 3 or 4 true Outcome act. .250-.260 avg, 25-32 HRs, 340 or so OBP and say 35 or so doubles. That's my thoughts, but I could be dead wrong.

That's a future core, not a On the MLB roster today core.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
My opinion is if any prospect is not on the top 100 list he is suspect. Sure they can prove the scouts wrong but in general the scouts opinion are pretty much on target.

I have a hard time penciling any future piece that can not make any of those lists. Rather use F/A and trade to fill the open spots vs depending on non valued talent. Resipe for disaster.

Just because a prospect makes a top 10 list doesn't mean he is good. Might mean the team's system is bad.

CubbyBear2290

Liked Posts:
That's a future core, not a On the MLB roster today core.

But there are 3 current MLBers,

Wood, Starlin and Rizzo, those would be the 3 building blocks in my estimation.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
But there are 3 current MLBers,

Wood, Starlin and Rizzo, those would be the 3 building blocks in my estimation.

And what would it take thisyear for you to say to each of them that they are out of the Core?

CubbyBear2290

Liked Posts:
And what would it take thisyear for you to say to each of them that they are out of the Core?

I think I'm a bit confused by the question.....

Are you saying in my baseball world, what would it take for me to trade those 3 and say you're no longer part of the plans?

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I think I'm a bit confused by the question.....

Are you saying in my baseball world, what would it take for me to trade those 3 and say you're no longer part of the plans?

No longer part of the plan. Ex. Castro hits .240 with 25 or more errors in 2014 will make more fans take him out if the Core list

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

CubbyBear2290

Liked Posts:
No longer part of the plan. Ex. Castro hits .240 with 25 or more errors in 2014 will make more fans take him out if the Core list

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

Okay I understand now. That is my fault. In my world, it would probably take another season to mirror this past one in order for me to really feel as though he isn't a part of the future plans and that he may be moved.

In terms of Rizzo, I'm not so sure he's ever going to not be a part of the plans. He's a good defender and one heck of a hitter once his luck improves. .250 BABIP, when league average is around .300-.310 or somewhere in that vicinity. But if his luck doesn't improves and he continues to regress backwards as a hitter even when his luck improves, I'm just not sure what it takes for him to not be a part of the Core as he was the 1st player that was a more major move for the "Braintrust"

When it comes to Wood, thats the one I'm really not sure how to answer. He's a good baseball player, he's a nice player and good control and but he's not awe-inspiring. But he's really good, I believe he lead the league in quality starts. But again Theo tried to acquire him while in Boston, and he acquired him in Chicago, but for him to get traded, would be if he has command issues, and well his soft tossing habits start getting banged around. So essentially if he does regress to Bronson Arroyo of late, then I could see him getting dealt.