Alex Bars the future at guard?

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
There was an article after the Patriots tried to steal him from our practice squad that the Bears really like him. He was pretty much redshirted last year.

Expect Alex Bars/Rashaad Coard/German Ifedi/Free Agent battle at guard.

1169051303.jpg.0.jpg

puckthefackers

Liked Posts:
Must be since 2 CBs out of 4 picks. really surprised no OL taken thus far

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
I dont know if I'm more excited to watch the UDFA/converted DE/bust battle at RG, the bust/man who spends 10% of snaps on the floor battle at RT or the continued regression of Leno at LT.

Exciting times.

msadows

Liked Posts:
I dont know if I'm more excited to watch the UDFA/converted DE/bust battle at RG, the bust/man who spends 10% of snaps on the floor battle at RT or the continued regression of Leno at LT.

Exciting times.

Outside of last year leno has been very solid and actually improved every year.

I have a feeling 2019 is an anomaly for him.

We still averaged over a 4.0YPC running to his side....so there is that.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bars was reportedly still not 100%, which they found out after he tried playing a bit in preseason. I also expected him in there more the last few worthless games. Nagy has been known to protect his guys from injury though, much to our shagrin.

He better be ready to rock n roll. OL needs fixing big time.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
Outside of last year leno has been very solid and actually improved every year.

I have a feeling 2019 is an anomaly for him.

We still averaged over a 4.0YPC running to his side....so there is that.

Another thing for us to cross our fingers over and hope for the best at a unit that failed critically in 2019.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Another thing for us to cross our fingers over and hope for the best at a unit that failed critically in 2019.

IDK, you can either expect his one bad year is the real him, or expect the 4 previous seasons he showed he's an above average NFL LT was the real him.

Players have down years, somehow the entire OL did. You'd expect some of that is due to the blocking scheme, since every single lineman you have declining is rare.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
I think you'll be seeing alot of chip blocking from both sides of the line with Graham and Kmet Harris. I'm thinking we can utilize 3 te sets.... Giving leno and Massie a chip plus having passing threats on all levels would be amazing.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
He better be, otherwise we’ve got nothing worth a damn to play at RG. The other guys we know what they are

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
Bars was a solid UDFA signing and he has some upside, so this is not a knock on him or the OP. But we do this every year. Overestimate the impact of guys like Bars because the Pats sniffed around.

To recap, we need 3/5 of the OL to make a major improvement or our season is done. And we have minimal improvement in personnel.

We spent ALL last season talking about the OL being trash when Bars couldn't get on the field and Coward showed nothing and yet a battle between these two and a bust tackle with upside is going to solve our problems.

Again, this is not about the draft. If you look at the draft class and decide the value isn't there then so be it. But if that is the case, you need to prioritise the position in FA and not sign a 33yo TE to $8m.

msadows

Liked Posts:
He better be, otherwise we’ve got nothing worth a damn to play at RG. The other guys we know what they are

Ifedi was decent at RG. He struggled with pass protection and flags at RT.

https%3A%2F%2Fimages.saymedia-content.com%2F.image%2FMTcxNDYwNTg1NTcyMDE3ODI2%2F2016-to-2018-comparative.png

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Ifedi was decent at RG. He struggled with pass protection and flags at RT.

https%3A%2F%2Fimages.saymedia-content.com%2F.image%2FMTcxNDYwNTg1NTcyMDE3ODI2%2F2016-to-2018-comparative.png

so not an upgrade really...thanks for making my point

msadows

Liked Posts:
Bars was a solid UDFA signing and he has some upside, so this is not a knock on him or the OP. But we do this every year. Overestimate the impact of guys like Bars because the Pats sniffed around.

To recap, we need 3/5 of the OL to make a major improvement or our season is done. And we have minimal improvement in personnel.

We spent ALL last season talking about the OL being trash when Bars couldn't get on the field and Coward showed nothing and yet a battle between these two and a bust tackle with upside is going to solve our problems.

Again, this is not about the draft. If you look at the draft class and decide the value isn't there then so be it. But if that is the case, you need to prioritise the position in FA and not sign a 33yo TE to $8m.

TE was just as crucial to improve imo.

napo55

Liked Posts:
Funny that nobody questions the poor performance at rb. Montgomery is a high character guy, but slow and average at best.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
IDK, you can either expect his one bad year is the real him, or expect the 4 previous seasons he showed he's an above average NFL LT was the real him.

Players have down years, somehow the entire OL did. You'd expect some of that is due to the blocking scheme, since every single lineman you have declining is rare.

Alternate narrative: he got paid and got soft.

Either way, we are crossing our fingers on the following happening..

- Leno and Massie improving to career average (mediocre to above average)
- The tallest midget battle at RG panning out

Such a huge and unnecessary risk.

msadows

Liked Posts:
so not an upgrade really...thanks for making my point

He started 60 games and has the same aproximate value as taylor decker and leremy tunsil.

He's been okay/solid. He's not good, but he's better than what we had last year at RG.

If he can cut down his penalties he has a chance to be an improvement.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Alternate narrative: he got paid and got soft.

Either way, we are crossing our fingers on the following happening..

- Leno and Massie improving to career average (mediocre to above average)
- The tallest midget battle at RG panning out

Such a huge and unnecessary risk.

They had no money and no draft picks.

You expected miracles?

At least they brought in some talent.