ALL-22: Nagy, RPO, and bye-week "self-scouting"

Sparks500

Liked Posts:
Meanwhile, the mccaskeys are watching this and saying: “How much did we pay for this?...”

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Oh, and I expect to here some of this shit on the radio today, LOL. Seems like they read these boards.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Matt Nagy's top list of job responsibilities when he was hired as head coach of the Chicago Bears

1. Lead this team to wins ....15-8 so far, not bad
2. Develop Trubisky..... absolute failure
3. Develop any draft pick on offense, just one.... absolute failure

Anytime Mitch gets shot down, Nagy should get the first bullet. I liked the John Fox offense better

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I honestly think that there are a couple of things that we could do to at least not look like the entire team is lost.

1. STOP with the RPO. The decision to Run or Pass is happening behind the O-line, so they have no idea what technique to use, so they just don't use any... If they are going to simulate an RPO, then predetermine if it is going to be run or pass and an audible simply means it is changed from pass to run or vice versa. Let the O-line fire off the ball and hit someone, this line is capable of playing smashmouth football, but not if they are being asked to adjust what technique to use after the ball is snapped. It's a frigin mindset, and if you are uncertain then the Opposing Defense has the advantage.

2. Take snaps from under center. I think it was the guy that does the "tape never lies" that pointed out that Trubisky seems to have better footwork when he drops back from center to throw. It might be a feel thing for him, so give him what feels good. Another advantage about being under center is that the RB has momentum moving FORWARD. In the RPO both the QB and RB standing flat footed reading the defense and from the pistol or shotgun formations there is no momentum, just a stupid shuffle. Additionally, it seems that the play action pass is a little easier to sell.

3. If you are going to throw the ball deep with Trubisky (and I do think that they need to call some plays where that is the only play), then try to make sure it is in the middle of the field. He simply can not throw very well along the sidelines where he needs to drop it over a defender.

4. Roll him out of the pocket, he has gotten the deer in the headlight look, and I know he is recovering, but I think to get some feel for running again they need to roll him out to the longer side of the field and let him throw on the run or tuck it away. BTW, I am not talking about a naked bootleg (too cute), play action followed by some protection, if they are capable of that.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
Of course that's on Mitch for not just saying, 'fuck it, time to make something happen' but this staff needs to share that blame.

QFT. Mitch doesn't HAVE to be a bust. He can still step up and be a leader. 10 games to go.

Plenty of time to show management that coaching/prep time is the primary issue (if that is indeed the case which it appears from the outside looking in to be true).

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Doesn't look like he's got it at this point but he has to have more than this. The season is salvageable but a lot needs to get sorted and quickly.

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Could all this be a case of the “sophomore slump”? There is tape of what the offense wants to do now, and it seems like Nagy has done very little adjusting. Where are the plays from last year like bringing in an extra tackle? Or lining up the DB in the backfield with a swing route? It would be nice to see a few old school type runs, from under center, without all the pulling and motions. Nagy can still fix this with some adjustments.

Of course none of that will fix Trubisky not being able to put the ball close to open receivers.