Allbright: Dave Toub near the top of Bears list

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
It doesn’t say Bears... I have a feeling it isn’t Chicago given how everyone was purged.

One is definitely Indy.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
I’m sure we had a whole thread dedicated to Toub a few weeks back.

I like the guy a lot and think he’ll be a good HC but the obvious problem is what offensive system and expertise is he bringing with him and what is the succession plan if/when the OC he hires gets a HC position?

He’d have been perfect three years ago instead of Fox. But can we afford to take him now?

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
I guess since the known quantity (Fox) backfired it's back to looking for an unknown quantity...Do we take a chance on Toub? Can we afford to be wrong again?

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I guess since the known quantity (Fox) backfired it's back to looking for an unknown quantity...Do we take a chance on Toub? Can we afford to be wrong again?

What does it matter if we tack on another 4-5 years of incompetence?

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
The upgrade of the facilities may be an attraction for a coach as it will help attract free agents. That can help in attracting one of the coaching candidates.

JeffChrist

Liked Posts:
What does it matter if we tack on another 4-5 years of incompetence?
For real though. There's no sure thing out there and what fucking difference does it make at this point. It's been years since we've seen a meaningful late season game. The only thing we can do is just toss another dart. As long as it's not Jeff Fisher or something.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I hope that's true. One concern I have with Pace is his thoroughness. Lets hope he has all his ducks in row and is ready to pull the trigger when he interviews the guy he wants, whomever that is. I suspect he'll have a tendency to want to interview everyone and then close the deal on the second round. I do think it's better than jumping the gun but your guy may no longer be there if you don't act early.

I know Toub has interviewed in the past and is still a ST coach. I wonder sometimes if he gets asked about O and D schemes and doesn't get specific enough for GMs when being malleable to best option when it comes to coaches and players is actually a great thing. GMs are not x'a and o's guys and should leave the specifics to the coaches. Hire based on success, leadership and communication skills.

Dagman310

Liked Posts:
The upgrade of the facilities may be an attraction for a coach as it will help attract free agents. That can help in attracting one of the coaching candidates.
Good point

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Toast88

Liked Posts:
The progression of Mitchell Trubisky is so incredibly important to this franchise and to Ryan Pace's own personal future, that I can't see him not hiring an offensive guy as head coach.

Pace knows that BAR-NONE, Trubisky MUST work out. If you don't hire an offensive guy, you're leaving it up to chance that guy hiring the right guy for OC, and that OC not bolting for his own head coaching job if he starts to get success.

If you have an offensive head coach and your OC bolts after success, it's less of a problem. If you have a defensive or ST head coach and your OC bolts after a year or two of success, that's a HUGE problem because he takes the whole offensive system with him and you have to start over with someone new. I can't see Pace taking that chance---His success is tied too much to Trubisky to take that chance.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I honestly don't think Pace will be thinking of saving his own future and just do what he thinks best for the team overall. Of course they go hand in hand but this idea of forcing the issue to save his skin seems odd to me. If the team wins and Trubisky is eventually replaced, he'll be fine.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
how reliable is albright in terms of his sources?

I have nothing against toub but like many others have said i want a offensive minded head coach for trubisky's sake

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I think the only way Toub is the HC is if he agrees to bring on Kubiak as OC, since Kubiak has said that he does not want to be a HC again since it is too much stress.

I like that combo, if Kubiak can get Joe Flacco to look like a Pro-Bowler, he could do wonders with Trubisky.

Otherwise, I too like the idea of an up and coming OC (with play calling experience).

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He got a cursory interview by Emery and didn't want to be here under him and Trestman. He was still under contract but Emery gave him permission to leave.