Am I wrong for Wanting Donald gone by#14?

skybum

Liked Posts:
For thoses who dont think there will is much saftey depth in the draft, here is a list of day 1 starters that could be found in rounds 1-4

Deone Bucannon
Calvin Pryor
Ha Ha Clinton-Dix
Brock Vereen
Jimmie Ward
Kenny Ladler

How many 3 tech day 1 starters are there ? Donald, maybe Will Sutton, and maybe you get lucky and find a gem in the late rounds

Bones40

Liked Posts:
For thoses who dont think there will is much saftey depth in the draft, here is a list of day 1 starters that could be found in rounds 1-4

Deone Bucannon
Calvin Pryor
Ha Ha Clinton-Dix
Brock Vereen
Jimmie Ward
Kenny Ladler

How many 3 tech day 1 starters are there ? Donald, maybe Will Sutton, and maybe you get lucky and find a gem in the late rounds

No Brooks?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Bears fans are setting themselves up for disappointment with their Donald obsession.

Donald is probably not going to be there, and with how people are hyping him he will be a failure unless he has 12 sacks.

If Donald gets picked at 8, we are going to need to move on and make picks.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
DraftRatings_zpse9e9fe1d.png

Only players with a 7+: Watkins WR, Robinson OT, Matthews OT, Clowney DE (7.5, the highest in the draft), and Mack OLB

NFL.COM GRADES

SAFETY

Pryor 6.3

HHCD 5.9
Bucannon 5.7
Ward 5.4

CORNERBACK

Gilbert 6.3
Roby 6.1
Dennard 6.1

Fuller 5.9

DEFENSIVE TACKLE

Donald 6.3
Hageman 6.0

Nix 5.9
Tuitt 5.9
McCullers 5.6

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
while I would like to see them take Donald ya really cant go wrong with best player avail at any defensive position at this point except de imo

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
DraftRatings_zpse9e9fe1d.png

Only players with a 7+: Watkins WR, Robinson OT, Matthews OT, Clowney DE (7.5, the highest in the draft), and Mack OLB

NFL.COM GRADES

SAFETY

Pryor 6.3

HHCD 5.9
Bucannon 5.7
Ward 5.4

CORNERBACK

Gilbert 6.3
Roby 6.1
Dennard 6.1

Fuller 5.9

DEFENSIVE TACKLE

Donald 6.3
Hageman 6.0

Nix 5.9
Tuitt 5.9
McCullers 5.6

These rankings are idiotic...

Everyone in the draft basically has a chance to become a starter... and none of them are selected to be a possible pro-bowl player except for 5 guys...

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
while I would like to see them take Donald ya really cant go wrong with best player avail at any defensive position at this point except de imo

This is essentially it.

I can make a compelling argument for most of the defensive players in the draft being huge upgrades for us.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
Bears fans are setting themselves up for disappointment with their Donald obsession.

Donald is probably not going to be there, and with how people are hyping him he will be a failure unless he has 12 sacks.

Perhaps to idiots.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Perhaps to idiots.

A few of those cheer for the Bears.

This happens every year where guys love certain players to death and crucify others when the truth is it is all a big crap shoot.

3 years from now whether due to health, scheme or any number of issues Timmy Jernigan could be the best DT in this draft class, but right now he could not get a Bears can to throw him a life preserver.

Liked Posts:

More chance than not he won't be there, but that doesn't mean the Bears should move on from addressing the D-Line. I think Houston is the perfect mold to play 3 Technique. The size, the athleticism, the burst, technique, & power are all there with Houston. That being said, I'd pretty happy with Kony Ealy at #14, & move Houston inside where I think he'd an excellent 3 Technique.

I would like to see the Bears make a bold move for once. I'm a full believer that the 3-Tech is as much of a key position as ever in any system whether it's in a 4-3 Tampa 2, Hybrid, or as a 3-4 DE. Teams just cannot rely on their secondary as much as they used to with all of the new rules in place for defenseless WR's, & pass interference calls made for the slightest contact with a WR. Modern day, a defenses only only real chance is to get to the QB, stop the run, & be disruptive up front for 4 quarters. Teams just can't play coverage the way they did 5+ years ago, without being frequently penalized.

In any scenario I don't think the Bears defense is going to be a top 5 or 10 defense, but I do think that they be competent enough to help them contend. This defense isn't getting fixed in one off season, & I don't believe that the Bears are going to get much out of players they draft beyond the first two picks. I know there are exceptions like Mills, but that's tough to bank on every draft. I think the Bears really should focus on getting three key pieces from the draft that can help them the most now & that's a 3-Tech in the first, a free safety in the second, & a 1-Shade in the mid rounds. IMO the mock you had was perfect, IMO Donald & Brooks will play from day 1 at the Bears two biggest needs on the field. The 4-3 NT/1 shade position is a position that a player capable of playing can tend to pick up fairly quick, & contribute early.

Again I don't think the Bears will be dominant in any case but I do think those three pieces make them competent. Even if they had to move up for Donald, I think it's worth it, & that they can do it without giving up any firsts or this years second. That being said, I think the cost of this years third & a future pick would be a wise investment on a 3-Tech in the first round. Then the Bears still have their first for next year to use on that coveted CB that will also be a need in 2015. IMO the kid is a difference maker for the better that's worth paying for within reason, & I do think that can be accomplished.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
A few of those cheer for the Bears.

This happens every year where guys love certain players to death and crucify others when the truth is it is all a big crap shoot.

3 years from now whether due to health, scheme or any number of issues Timmy Jernigan could be the best DT in this draft class, but right now he could not get a Bears can to throw him a life preserver.

I don't know what any of that has to do with some hypothetical moron thinking a 3-tech needs to get 12 sacks in order to be considered successful.