An all-22 look at Fields' explosive plays against the Lions

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Really good all-22 review on The Athletic from Kevin Fishbain right now. It's pretty lengthy, and it's well worth it.

If you don't already subscribe to The Athletic, they have discounts all the time, and the cost is pretty minimal for all the good content you get.

How the Bears created explosive plays with Justin Fields, Allen Robinson and Darnell Mooney: All-22 review

Just a snippet from the article to whet your beak:

First-and-10 from the Lions’ 45 — (2:01) J.Fields pass deep right to A.Robinson to DET 18 for 27 yards (A.Oruwariye; W.Harris)

Late in the third quarter, it was another first-down chunk play. In Weeks 1 through 3, the Bears averaged 5.42 yards per completion on first down and completed only 59.4 percent of those passes. Against the Lions, Fields averaged 9.8 yards per catch and was 5-of-7 passing on first down (71.4 percent).

Here’s a look at the routes. Fields is going to fake the handoff to Damien Williams and get a double-team block on his blind side from Kmet and Graham.

fields article 1.png

Robinson explained Tuesday what he was looking for on this play.

“Pre-snap, I’m seeing what they’re in and I see a two-high look, so maybe how I have to run, the route may change a little bit as far as angles and things like that, so all that’s kind of going through the play,” he said. “So as I’m going to my route, I see the safety getting a little bit of depth, me knowing I have to cut across his face, but also having to get the right amount of depth so that the corner doesn’t sink under that. So being able to process all those things and as I get out of my break, seeing the ball come, which was a very well-placed ball, and then being able to come down with it.

“Like I say all the time, that’s stuff that you practice and things like that, and you expect that because that’s one of those things where we didn’t necessarily even get that look in practice. But me knowing the coverage that they had gotten into and things like that, now that shifted me and the progression and things like that, so it’s a lot of things that you know as the play is just developing and seeing what the defense is giving you.”

While the pocket is mostly clean for Fields, the one pass rusher who gets through happens to be close to the passing lane, having beaten Germain Ifedi inside, but Fields lets it fly on a dart.

“I was on the sideline, so the main thing as soon as I caught it, once I got my first foot down is to try to drop that second foot as quick as I could, which I felt myself do so at that point it just was just like controlling the ball,” Robinson said. “I was able to catch it, keep the ball in a good place and get my feet down.”

fields article 2.png

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I just had to stop reading when I read we used play action and kept both TEs in to block on that play…

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
What’s the point of having both receivers basically going to the same spot?

I noticed that on the replay. It just brings more defenders to the area, no?

Visionman

Liked Posts:

One is to hit over the middle, if he’s open. The other, as Fields did, is more to the sideline. If both were covered, hit the outlet underneath.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Nagy has a lot of that in the playbook

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Correct every playbook has plays like that. Nothing wrong with the concept. Keep in mind it is 7 vs 2 until the RB releases which is still 7 vs 3. So one of the best ways to address the fact there are 2 or 3 guys in coverage for each WR is to try and put some of those guys in conflict.

Having all 3 routes to one side of the Field in max protect means you eliminate the coverage guys on the other side of the field as obstacles and create one on one situations despite being outbumbered in coverage.

Last edited:

Dejo

Godfather of FTO
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Real Salt Lake
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Utah Jazz
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Utah Utes

It is to confuse the coverage and to pick one or the other. One in front of you, one behind you. Helps find holes in zone.

Bort

Liked Posts:

It wasn’t bringing more defenders to the area because the Lions were in zone coverage.

Flooding a zone is a pretty common tactic, and you can see an example of why it works in the bottom picture. The Bears kept 7 in to protect and only had 3 routes, while the Lions rushed 4 and dropped 7 into coverage. In theory, the Lions had 7 guys covering only 3 routes, so you’d think it would be easy to prevent anyone from getting open. But because all 3 routes went to the right side of the field, the 3 guys in coverage on the left side of the field are just covering air, and you effectively get 3 routes vs 4 coverage guys on the right side of the field, which is more more favorable than 3 routes vs 7 in coverage.

Teams use this flooding tactic a lot when they know the defense is in pure zone, sometimes even bringing more receivers to one side of the field than the defense has on that side to cover them all.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
It wasn’t bringing more defenders to the area because the Lions were in zone coverage.

Flooding a zone is a pretty common tactic, and you can see an example of why it works in the bottom picture. The Bears kept 7 in to protect and only had 3 routes, while the Lions rushed 4 and dropped 7 into coverage. In theory, the Lions had 7 guys covering only 3 routes, so you’d think it would be easy to prevent anyone from getting open. But because all 3 routes went to the right side of the field, the 3 guys in coverage on the left side of the field are just covering air, and you effectively get 3 routes vs 4 coverage guys on the right side of the field, which is more more favorable than 3 routes vs 7 in coverage.

Teams use this flooding tactic a lot when they know the defense is in pure zone, sometimes even bringing more receivers to one side of the field than the defense has on that side to cover them all.
Ahhhh makes sense. I wasn’t thinking about the defense being in zone coverage. That def makes a ton of sense then

Thanks you all for the enlightenment.

bears5150

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
7 players in coverage with 2 receivers. Thats a massive fail for the Lions. what a joke

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
When he only has 5 blocking he needs to hit his back from hot route

BradyJay

Liked Posts:
On tv it looked like he should have thrown it sooner, or was it suppose to go to the sideline ?

Britbuffguy

Liked Posts:

When I saw it, I just assumed Goodwin ran the wrong route?

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
One is to hit over the middle, if he’s open. The other, as Fields did, is more to the sideline. If both were covered, hit the outlet underneath.
And look how open the check down is. Williams could have run a long way.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
^^He would've had to shake off two players who are both 10 yards away and closing before Williams even touches the ball (in the second pic, Fields is already throwing the ball---That's why the DB has his back turned and is already running away from Williams and toward Robinson). He's not as open as he looks. But yeah, would've been positive yards, and probably is the throw most QBs would've made in this situation.