Another ugly Dalton stat

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
In his defense, I guess, the Cowboys line was absolutely decimated.

But, I mean, everyone knows what Dalton is. The lowest tier of starting quarterback and a very good back-up. So, yeah, I'm sure we can find ugly Dalton stats forever. He's still without question an upgrade over Foles and Trubisky and his time as a starter here is exceedingly finite.

Canth

Liked Posts:
I would be worried about it if the Bears hadn't just drafted Fields. Dalton is at most a bridge qb right now and I would think he will be gone after 1 year.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:

But, I mean, everyone knows what Dalton is. The lowest tier of starting quarterback and a very good back-up. So, yeah, I'm sure we can find ugly Dalton stats forever. He's still without question an upgrade over Foles and Trubisky and his time as a starter here is exceedingly finite.
I don't agree. I think this is a narrative that Bears fans have run with this offseason. But I don't think Dalton is better than those 2, he's just different. He's better at reading defenses than Trubisky and more mobile than Foles, but statistically he's not better than them.

I know QB rating isn't the end all, be all of stats but career Foles has a 87.1 QB rating, Trubisky 87.2, Dalton 87.5 and last year was 87.3 (Trubisky was 93.5 FWIW in 2020). All 3 are on the same level of mediocrity, but take different paths to get there.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:

There is no defending Dalton so stop trying to.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Good thing he's not our starter and is the back up then.

Geezer

Liked Posts:
Again, the same inane remarks regarding Dalton's role and abilities in this thread. He's our starter in the judgment of our GM. Period. There must be some a reason for that decision. Coaching staff feedback I assume? In fact, enthusiasm by the coaching staff for the signing the way I hear it! Oh, but what do the coaches know?

Defending Dalton? Apparently "someone" (an expert QB evaluator?) has already passed judgment on him before he's taken a single snap in a Bear uniform! So let's not get into that thicket, right? HALT - go no further! BS! Ask the Bears
coaching staff to evaluate that angle.

He's had a so-so career in a back water NFL franchise with little discussion here or elsewhere of what he had to work with
over the years. OchoCinco for a while, and who or what else. I haven't heard anyone offer an evaluation of the personnel and/or coaching staff in Bengal land he had to deal with. The Bengal fans on the whole liked him for bringing a measure of respectability to the franchise. There must be some reason for that. But building a franchise takes more than a pro QB. But no detailed analysis here or anywhere else of why he's a "fail" (or why the Bengals were). Just posts of his QB ratings over the years.

So why will he be the starter? We certainly don't want to rely on or RISK a rookie QB if our starter goes down for however long on the "first set of downs" in the season opener! Whoever he turns out to be (in the judgment of the coaching staff!).
Oh, if the rookie lights up the preseason, we have the option of doing so. But in the judgment of many knowledgeable ex-NFL QBs and gurus, DON'T START HIM! Give him at least a chance to absorb the speed and complexity of the pro game before he's thrown into the "meat grinder" of the NFL.. Ergo, Dalton AND/OR Foles! Besides the latter of the two may be trade bait! So "defending" Dalton has "merit"!

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't agree. I think this is a narrative that Bears fans have run with this offseason. But I don't think Dalton is better than those 2, he's just different. He's better at reading defenses than Trubisky and more mobile than Foles, but statistically he's not better than them.

I know QB rating isn't the end all, be all of stats but career Foles has a 87.1 QB rating, Trubisky 87.2, Dalton 87.5 and last year was 87.3 (Trubisky was 93.5 FWIW in 2020). All 3 are on the same level of mediocrity, but take different paths to get there.

I dont care what the stats say

Mitch is worse. Some safe, short throw dumps offs for 5 yards on 3rd and 10 aren't going to change that

Sculpt

Liked Posts:

I agree with ZenB a bit more than you in this: I think Dalton did what the Cowboys OC told him to do.

ZenB's reported poor condition of the Cowboy's OL may have been part of that equation.

Secondly, short pass average doesn't mean it's a poor QB, and doesn't mean the team is losing... as evidence it shows Brees was 6.0 to Dalton's 6.6.

CHIBEAR

Liked Posts:

Every time someone says "with question" they end up looking like a damn fool by the time the season is over.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Every time someone says "with question" they end up looking like a damn fool by the time the season is over.

He was a full time starter for 9 years. There's no question he's better than Foles or Trubisky. He's been a consistently mediocre starter for a long time, that's something both Foles and Trubisky can only aspire to.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

This and how Teams in the draft like the Vikings got shocked by us moving up is remarkable. Same for posters that didn't want us to do the same before the draft.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
He was a full time starter for 9 years. There's no question he's better than Foles or Trubisky. He's been a consistently mediocre starter for a long time, that's something both Foles and Trubisky can only aspire to.
Who cares if Dalton is better than Trubisky, he's not better than Fields.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
On the Bears all access just before the interview with Tevin Jenkins, Jim Miller said both he and Pat ( Kirwan) have the Bears QB room ranked top ten, Miller says he has them at 6th. Foles, Dalton and a untested rookie... borderline top 5? CTE and daily 12 packs of Old Milwaukee don't mix well.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Mediocre QBs are bum slayers. The more patsies on the schedule, the better they play. Mitch was a prime example of this. He looked like a top tier talent against Detroit, the Bucs in ‘18, the Cowboys in ‘19 and other struggling teams. He never had a breakthrough game against a top defense. The top tier guys play well against everybody. Of course even the best have off days but the great ones give their teams a chance every week. That’s what we hope Fields will finally provide.

Dalton will be an excellent back up. I hope they convince him to stay at a reasonable rate after this season.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I agree with ZenB a bit more than you in this: I think Dalton did what the Cowboys OC told him to do.

ZenB's reported poor condition of the Cowboy's OL may have been part of that equation.

Secondly, short pass average doesn't mean it's a poor QB, and doesn't mean the team is losing... as evidence it shows Brees was 6.0 to Dalton's 6.6.
When did I say anything about the Cowboys OC, Cowboys OL or short pass average? Statistically, he was worse than Trubisky last year. Slightly better than Foles. And right around their below average career numbers. If you're excusing all those things that I didn't mention, then go back and look at 2019 stats, then 2018, then 2017. Dalton hasn't been any good in a long time.

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Dalton will be an excellent back up. I hope they convince him to stay at a reasonable rate after this season.
I 100% agree with this. He may be the best backup in the league for our specific situation. There aren’t many QBs with the amount of starts, wins and stats sitting on the bench. Perfect backup for a young QB.

If/when Fields develops into a top starter then bringing in younger guys for the backup role makes sense.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Seems like a stark contrast to the only real QB the Bears have.

E0p4FneWUAIbLry