Another ugly Dalton stat

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
When did I say anything about the Cowboys OC, Cowboys OL or short pass average? Statistically, he was worse than Trubisky last year. Slightly better than Foles. And right around their below average career numbers. If you're excusing all those things that I didn't mention, then go back and look at 2019 stats, then 2018, then 2017. Dalton hasn't been any good in a long time.
You didn't say anything about OL, OC; Zen B did. I wrote a sucky reply to your post. I must have been sleepy. I was just adding I think Dalton did what the Cowboys asked him to do, which was a lot of short passes.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm already tired of hearing about Dalton. As others said, he's a bridge & backup.

Nothing to see - move along.gif

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
Again, the same inane remarks regarding Dalton's role and abilities in this thread. He's our starter in the judgment of our GM. Period. There must be some a reason for that decision. Coaching staff feedback I assume? In fact, enthusiasm by the coaching staff for the signing the way I hear it! Oh, but what do the coaches know?

Defending Dalton? Apparently "someone" (an expert QB evaluator?) has already passed judgment on him before he's taken a single snap in a Bear uniform! So let's not get into that thicket, right? HALT - go no further! BS! Ask the Bears
coaching staff to evaluate that angle.

He's had a so-so career in a back water NFL franchise with little discussion here or elsewhere of what he had to work with
over the years. OchoCinco for a while, and who or what else. I haven't heard anyone offer an evaluation of the personnel and/or coaching staff in Bengal land he had to deal with. The Bengal fans on the whole liked him for bringing a measure of respectability to the franchise. There must be some reason for that. But building a franchise takes more than a pro QB. But no detailed analysis here or anywhere else of why he's a "fail" (or why the Bengals were). Just posts of his QB ratings over the years.

So why will he be the starter? We certainly don't want to rely on or RISK a rookie QB if our starter goes down for however long on the "first set of downs" in the season opener! Whoever he turns out to be (in the judgment of the coaching staff!).
Oh, if the rookie lights up the preseason, we have the option of doing so. But in the judgment of many knowledgeable ex-NFL QBs and gurus, DON'T START HIM! Give him at least a chance to absorb the speed and complexity of the pro game before he's thrown into the "meat grinder" of the NFL.. Ergo, Dalton AND/OR Foles! Besides the latter of the two may be trade bait! So "defending" Dalton has "merit"!
You ask about the talent Andy Dalton had to work with over his years as a Bengal. This is some of the talent he worked with over the playoff years years 2011-2015.
WR-AJ Green, Marvin Jones, Mo Sanu.
RB- Benson, Ellis-Green, Bernard, Hill.
TE-Gresham, Eifert.
OT-Whitworth
OG-Zeitler
Some really good talent there. As for the RISK of starting a rookie........even Andy Dalton was a rookie starter, on a team with some talented players around him that made the playoffs.

At this stage of his career Dalton is better suited as a backup QB, and a very good one. I think the last five years have proven that.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Who cares. He's not your future, but rather the guy who might be in for one season at the most.

It's rare you go back and look at all your exes before you met your wife and say "you know, she was perfect!". That pre-wife gf got the job done then you moved on. No need to talk about it. Even while you were dating this girl you knew she wasn't 'one thing away' from brining you too a knee, so it is what it is.

Last edited: