Anthony Rizzo!

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
This isn't a statistical thread. This is an eye thread. So, save your crying for your momma's.

I want to know if anyone else finds that Rizzo guesses at way to many pitches. I have seen numerous times that he will swing out of his shoes because he was guessing fastball and its a breaking ball. Or I have seen him really late because he is guessing breaking ball and getting fastball. I feel he needs to get away from this ASAP.

I know Starlin Castro said he stop guessing at pitches and started looking fastball and adjusting to the pitch. He has faired quite well since he started doing this. I think Anthony Rizzo would do well with the same approach. Any thoughts?

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Perhaps, he obviosuly still has things to work on, could be one of them.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
He sucks. Trade him.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I noticed he does a lot of peeking back at the catcher right before pitches too, which im sure catchers notices and shows him oppo of where he wants to set up at times.. he needs to just settle in and focus on pitcher and yes look fastball and adjust to the breaking stuff.

patg006

Liked Posts:
This isn't a statistical thread. This is an eye thread. So, save your crying for your momma's.

I want to know if anyone else finds that Rizzo guesses at way to many pitches. I have seen numerous times that he will swing out of his shoes because he was guessing fastball and its a breaking ball. Or I have seen him really late because he is guessing breaking ball and getting fastball. I feel he needs to get away from this ASAP.

I know Starlin Castro said he stop guessing at pitches and started looking fastball and adjusting to the pitch. He has faired quite well since he started doing this. I think Anthony Rizzo would do well with the same approach. Any thoughts?

Rizzo is tough to spot, because some at bats, it looks like he does; and then when he blasts a home run it looks like he knew the pitch was coming the whole time.

I have noticed a killer fastball-change up combo really takes him out of his element. That explains the lateness, which is why he absolutely sucks against Wandy Rodriguez of the pirates, and Liriano too. That biting high 90s fastball followed by a smooth change.

THe two hits he got last night against Lohse were legit, looked like he saw them the whole way, took a fastball over the 2nd basemen then a breaking ball for a single too.

Castro is different; hes Dominican, so sabremetrics/seeing pitches doesnt work, statistically it hasnt for guys like Vlad, Jose Reyes, Hanley Ramirez (though Hanley has improved,) Luis Castillo, Eric Aybar, Adrian Beltre, and Edwin Encarnacion. Even Aramis Ramirez was aggressive. Starlin got to where he is by being an aggressive swinger who if he sees what he likes first pitch--he'll drive it. I dont think hes improving because he 'stopped guessing,' though that may be the point--I think he just simplified the game. See a pitch you like, swing--even if its the first pitch, because during his slump earlier in the year, he would take first strike, get into a 0-2 or a 1-2 count then get punched out on a painted corner.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Good...your statistical threads are usually beyond terrible.

Rizzo is far from a finished product. I think that would be expected at this stage of his career, unless you think this stage of Rizzo's career equates him with a 28-year old.

Yeah cause players like Mike Trout, Freddie Freeman, Manny Machado and Jean Segura who are a similar age and at a similar stage in their careers are really struggling.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yeah cause players like Mike Trout, Freddie Freeman, Manny Machado and Jean Segura who are a similar age and at a similar stage in their careers are really struggling.

Perhaps we don't think and never thought Rizzo would be as good as those guys?

Thinking Rizzo can still end up being a productive player and a positive value one(ie an unfinished product) =/= to us thinking he can turn into Mike Trout.

Simple minded BS

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

Do you just not get it?

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
"Rizzo still has upside and is an unfinished player"

RUNNING IT THROUGH KB'S TRANSLATOR

"Rizzo should be as good as Mike Trout"

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Good...your statistical threads are usually beyond terrible.

Rizzo is far from a finished product. I think that would be expected at this stage of his career, unless you think this stage of Rizzo's career equates him with a 28-year old.

This is my second thread every started. Keep trying little engine. Someone will love you one day.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Why are people complaining about Rizzo so much? I thought his 2013 WAR was identical to a player who is the leading MVP candidate?

afKWF.gif

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am know way, shape, or form saying Rizzo is a finished product. I am just asking if people are seeing the same thing I am. I also want to know is if is his approach or is this something the Cubs coaches have taught. I am not sure. But, for Rizzo to progress forward his approach has to change.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Whoops made a spelling mistake. Fuck me, what am I going to do with myself. A guy with a wrestler on his sig called me out. Maybe I should go complain to the mods. My vagina is itching. Oh my. Where is the vagisil?

in his sig*

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Also, why are we talking about Allen Craig and Anthony Rizzo. One stat cleary shows they are not equal.

Runners in scoring position-

Allen Craig-.480 AVG, .504 OBP, 1.167 OPS 69 RBI's. Also, he has K'd 13 times.

Anthony Rizzo-.185 AVG, .288 OBP, .594 OPS, 34 RBI's. Also, he has k's 27 times.

Rizzo has 10 more at bats with RISP then Allen Craig.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Also, why are we talking about Allen Craig and Anthony Rizzo. One stat cleary shows they are not equal.

Runners in scoring position-

Allen Craig-.480 AVG, .504 OBP, 1.167 OPS 69 RBI's. Also, he has K'd 13 times.

Anthony Rizzo-.185 AVG, .288 OBP, .594 OPS, 34 RBI's. Also, he has k's 27 times.

Rizzo has 10 more at bats with RISP then Allen Craig.
We aren't.

You're the first person to mention Craig in this thread.

#SilenceSfail

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
We aren't.

You're the first person to mention Craig in this thread.

#SilenceSfail

Why are people complaining about Rizzo so much? I thought his 2013 WAR was identical to a player who is the leading MVP candidate?

That is a direct knock to another thread about Anthony Rizzo and Allen Craig. Thanks for your insight.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

That is a direct knock to another thread about Anthony Rizzo and Allen Craig. Thanks for your insight.

I don't see Craig's name in there do you?