Any dentists on the board?

Heidenlarm

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So I have all four of my wisdom teeth. I'm 38. Top two fully erupted and came in straight, the bottom came in straight, but only partially erupted. Now because of this on occasion I've had sore gums every now and again, but nothing serious and it resolves on its own after a few days, tops a week or so.

So I tried googling this with mixed results, but can wisdom teeth grow in spurts? I swear it feels like my bottom left tooth is trying to come up some more. It feels like there's less space between my bottom and top left wisdom teeth that's also causing more irritation now.

Should I just go to the dentist? Why yes of course I should. I know that. Who likes going to the dentist though? I'm just curious if they can continue to grow later in life.

P. S. fuck these fucking cunts.

Reactions: DC

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's just the start, man. If you're lucky enough to age, just know it gets worse. The dentist becomes a regular thing and your shit will never be the same.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
What you are experiencing is called impaction. It probably will not get better and because I assume you are a modern American who hasn't lost any teeth to decay then yes, go to a dentist. Get those suckers yanked out if they recommend it.

I am also assuming you are probably in your twenties, and this is not a problem that is going to go away.

Also, go get your teeth professionally cleaned every six months, it is worth it for your long term overall health. Google dental health care related to overall health risks if you don't believe me.

Heidenlarm

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
What you are experiencing is called impaction. It probably will not get better and because I assume you are a modern American who hasn't lost any teeth to decay then yes, go to a dentist. Get those suckers yanked out if they recommend it.

I am also assuming you are probably in your twenties, and this is not a problem that is going to go away.

Also, go get your teeth professionally cleaned every six months, it is worth it for your long term overall health. Google dental health care related to overall health risks if you don't believe me.
My second sentence said I'm 38 dude.

I appreciate the response, but if you can't even read that I said I'm 38 then what the fuck?

I've not lost teeth to decay. They're a bit yellow from smoking a bit and drinking black coffee, but that's it.

The last time I went to the dentist, the dentist recommended not to get them removed.

Heidenlarm

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
But I am also long over due for a dentist visit.

Heidenlarm

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's just the start, man. If you're lucky enough to age, just know it gets worse. The dentist becomes a regular thing and your shit will never be the same.
Better start saving for dentures I guess.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
My second sentence said I'm 38 dude.

I appreciate the response, but if you can't even read that I said I'm 38 then what the fuck?

I've not lost teeth to decay. They're a bit yellow from smoking a bit and drinking black coffee, but that's it.

The last time I went to the dentist, the dentist recommended not to get them removed.
Forgive me for missing the 38 part.... my bad.

The fact that you have all of your teeth and haven't had a problem with your wisdom teeth sooner is a Christmas miracle.

Most of us regular folk get our wisdom teeth pulled in our late teens/early twenties. It is a sort of chipmunk cheek right of passage as far as I remember.

That being said, if your wisdom teeth are bothering you then perhaps going to a professional teeth person (dentist) might be a good idea.

As a point of reference, when was the last time you went to the dentist?

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
So I have all four of my wisdom teeth. I'm 38. Top two fully erupted and came in straight, the bottom came in straight, but only partially erupted. Now because of this on occasion I've had sore gums every now and again, but nothing serious and it resolves on its own after a few days, tops a week or so.

So I tried googling this with mixed results, but can wisdom teeth grow in spurts? I swear it feels like my bottom left tooth is trying to come up some more. It feels like there's less space between my bottom and top left wisdom teeth that's also causing more irritation now.

Should I just go to the dentist? Why yes of course I should. I know that. Who likes going to the dentist though? I'm just curious if they can continue to grow later in life.

My father-in-law is a retired dentist, but currently on a fishing trip with little to no reception. Assuming I remember, I'll see if I can find some answers for you.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have all four of my wisdom teeth and I am 57. All four came in perfectly so there was no need for extraction. I had one dentist recommend extraction so I got a second opinion and that dentist said to leave them alone. They can shift, from what I understand, and if they start causing you pain there is a problem. But see a dentist to be sure.

BBBF

Liked Posts:
Had mine pulled in my late 20's. My experience sounds exactly like yours. I put up with a lot of mild discomfort and occasional pain, until I had a cavity in one of them and the thought of the dentist drilling that far in my mouth sounded worse than just ripping them out. Hindsight, I should have pulled them out sooner. Especially, if my parents and their insurance would have paid for it.

Heidenlarm

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have all four of my wisdom teeth and I am 57. All four came in perfectly so there was no need for extraction. I had one dentist recommend extraction so I got a second opinion and that dentist said to leave them alone. They can shift, from what I understand, and if they start causing you pain there is a problem. But see a dentist to be sure.
It almost seems like the whole wisdom teeth removal thing was a racket huh? Reading online lately it seems there's been a shift to dentists recommending them not to be removed. My dentist said it's better not to have the bone loss later in life.

Heidenlarm

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My father-in-law is a retired dentist, but currently on a fishing trip with little to no reception. Assuming I remember, I'll see if I can find some answers for you.
Cheers. Hopefully we both forget, meaning things clear up soon.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

I have much the same, they came in straight more/less but they hurt on/off for like 3-7 days, sometimes longer, then the pain recedes.

My dentist keeps writing me a referral to see an oral surgeon and I've been leaving it alone for at least a decade now.

I believe the pain comes in spurts around when there are sharp changes in pressure/temperature in your surrounding area.

Similar to the inflammation stuff that causes knees, feet, ankles, etc to hurt when the weather shifts, typically from hot to cold, I think this impacts our mouths and causes just enough pressure on those slightly crooked wisdom teeth to cause pain until the swelling reduces back to normal.

I find it an unnecessary risk to have an oral surgeon carving my mouth up when I can manage the pain.

Of course I will end up Tom Hanks in Castaway, you just know I will.

Heidenlarm

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have much the same, they came in straight more/less but they hurt on/off for like 3-7 days, sometimes longer, then the pain recedes.

My dentist keeps writing me a referral to see an oral surgeon and I've been leaving it alone for at least a decade now.

I believe the pain comes in spurts around when there are sharp changes in pressure/temperature in your surrounding area.

Similar to the inflammation stuff that causes knees, feet, ankles, etc to hurt when the weather shifts, typically from hot to cold, I think this impacts our mouths and causes just enough pressure on those slightly crooked wisdom teeth to cause pain until the swelling reduces back to normal.

I find it an unnecessary risk to have an oral surgeon carving my mouth up when I can manage the pain.

Of course I will end up Tom Hanks in Castaway, you just know I will.
I have to say clove oil has been the best thing for the pain for me if you've never tried.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I have to say clove oil has been the best thing for the pain for me if you've never tried.

Never heard of it, will have to check it out.

I tend to rely on some CBD and hefty doses of Ibuprofen when it gets bad.

Heidenlarm

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Just bought a 4 oz bottle on Amazon for about 10 bucks. You only need a drop off it on your toothbrush and you're good to go.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

You never saw Marathon Man? "Is it safe?"

I'd be careful with oil of clove. Some people can have allergic reactions, and you shouldn't get too much of it on the gums, as it can cause inflammation and blistering in some.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You never saw Marathon Man? "Is it safe?"

I'd be careful with oil of clove. Some people can have allergic reactions, and you shouldn't get too much of it on the gums, as it can cause inflammation and blistering in some.

And here I was brushing my f***ing teeth with the stuff.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
And here I was brushing my f***ing teeth with the stuff.
I am neither a dentist nor a nazi war criminal smuggling diamonds. Ymmv from my advice.

Heidenlarm

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well I must say the clove really helped. I've used it a couple times a day since Sunday and the swelling and pain have just about all gone away.