Any one getting worried about Sori?

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
only thing I was worrying about is has he crossed the threshold and is on the decline.

Not saying there is anyone worth a damn to replace him but if he regresses to a 15 HR LF is avg D and balky legs wouldn't it make sense to cut the losses and get a LF.
The last part of the post is the important reason why I think he finishes his contract out here. We can't trade him because his list of places to go is so restrictive, and given that the salary is a sunk cost I am not certain there are real upgrades that would bump him from a 25 man roster even if he is a shell of the player he was just last year.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
The last part of the post is the important reason why I think he finishes his contract out here. We can't trade him because his list of places to go is so restrictive, and given that the salary is a sunk cost I am not certain there are real upgrades that would bump him from a 25 man roster even if he is a shell of the player he was just last year.

They couldn't send him to the minors anyway and I don't think he's so useless as to deserve a DFA. This offseason should be interesting but I don't think the teams Sori wants to go to actually want him, particularly if, for example, Vernon Wells continues to do well for the Yankees.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
So the point is moot.

It is.

The team is going to lose 100 games if Sori hits 30 HR's again or only hits 10.

It is the rest of the team that is the bigger problem than Soriano.

And it doesn't matter anymore that he got a no trade clause in his contract before the anti-Henry idiots start spewing their idiocy. He has 10 years of MLB service and 5 years with his current team, so he would have no trade protection automatically even without it being part of his contract. So that point is moot also.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
It is.

The team is going to lose 100 games if Sori hits 30 HR's again or only hits 10.

It is the rest of the team that is the bigger problem than Soriano.

And it doesn't matter anymore that he got a no trade clause in his contract before the anti-Henry idiots start spewing their idiocy. He has 10 years of MLB service and 5 years with his current team, so he would have no trade protection automatically even without it being part of his contract. So that point is moot also.

The no-trade clause probably knocked a few million off his price-tag anyway. Also, preemptively calling people idiots before they even say anything about a point nobody is really making at the moment presumes a lot about them and about yourself.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
the best thing they can do with soriano is play him and hope he gets hot before july..
he picked up his AVG. the last 10 games but besides the 2 HR 4 RBI game the power and run production just hasnt been there for him so far..

If they plan or hope to be able to move him this year, they need him to start hitting some bombs and then hope an AL team can use him as a DH..

they more then likely would have to pay at least half of salary owed just to get a decent prospect or 2 back in return..

i personally wouldnt mind if they held onto soriano, and let him finish his career here unless they find a replacement or a deal they cant pass up on..

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Well hope he starts heating up and starts to hit RH pitching. If not Nate McLouth should be on the market as a platoon partner in 2014. Still the idea of Sori's bat on the bench to neutralize the LH spec has it's appeal. That is if the team was competitive. Also I don't buy into the 18 mil says he is a starter BS. That money is spent.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well hope he starts heating up and starts to hit RH pitching. If not Nate McLouth should be on the market as a platoon partner in 2014. Still the idea of Sori's bat on the bench to neutralize the LH spec has it's appeal. That is if the team was competitive. Also I don't buy into the 18 mil says he is a starter BS. That money is spent.

On the off-chance that a slightly brain-damaged GM actually wants him and that Soriano heats up, you do have to play him just about every day to max whatever trade value he might have left, assuming also that Soriano wishes to be traded.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Also, preemptively calling people idiots before they even say anything about a point nobody is really making at the moment presumes a lot about them and about yourself.

Have you been paying attention??

Many people have complained about Soriano having a no trade clause. FACT.

And hell, we have people around here who can't tell the difference between profit and revenue, so saying that there are idiots around really isn't presuming all that much. In fact it is pointing out the obvious.

Just saving everyone a lot of time before the anti-Hendry trolls start posting stupid stuff.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
Have you been paying attention??

Many people have complained about Soriano having a no trade clause. FACT.

And hell, we have people around here who can't tell the difference between profit and revenue, so saying that there are idiots around really isn't presuming all that much. In fact it is pointing out the obvious.

Just saving everyone a lot of time before the anti-Hendry trolls start posting stupid stuff.

Aw another one? You shouldnt

sent from mars home of Ian Stewarts baseball skills using tapatalk

CSF77

Liked Posts:
On the off-chance that a slightly brain-damaged GM actually wants him and that Soriano heats up, you do have to play him just about every day to max whatever trade value he might have left, assuming also that Soriano wishes to be traded.

If this was 2014 and he was running those splits vs LH pitching yes you would have a strong point. Fact they would be stuck with 2014 makes it unlikely. The whole sell when hot only makes sense in a play off push add. Not a stuck with him next year deal. He ain't no spring chicken any more.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
If this was 2014 and he was running those splits vs LH pitching yes you would have a strong point. Fact they would be stuck with 2014 makes it unlikely. The whole sell when hot only makes sense in a play off push add. Not a stuck with him next year deal. He ain't no spring chicken any more.

There's also the idea of veteran's privilege. As long as he is being somewhat productive and there's no one in the minors legitimately threatening to push him off the corner at this time (at least I don't think so), they are going to play him. It kind of makes it look bad if the Cubs sign a veteran free agent and then tell him he can't play at their leisure unless they really have no choice but to cut him loose. I don't think it's come to that yet, and the Cubs certainly don't want to scare off future free agents should they become available. Not saying that's always the case, but it should be considered.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
There's also the idea of veteran's privilege. As long as he is being somewhat productive and there's no one in the minors legitimately threatening to push him off the corner at this time (at least I don't think so), they are going to play him. It kind of makes it look bad if the Cubs sign a veteran free agent and then tell him he can't play at their leisure unless they really have no choice but to cut him loose. I don't think it's come to that yet, and the Cubs certainly don't want to scare off future free agents should they become available. Not saying that's always the case, but it should be considered.

Not looking too deep into it but Jaxx was in LF in Iowa. His splits favor RH match ups in platoons. Also I wouldn't be concerned. Players get old and most are not collecting 18 mil per in their twilight. To add I'd be surprised if this ownership ever signs a mega past 36 YO to anyone.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
I think they should just bench Soriano because he's ugly.

Bring up Brett Jackson and start him everyday in left field, because the chicks think he's hot.

It's not like they are trying to make the playoffs or anything.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I think they should just bench Soriano because he's ugly.

Bring up Brett Jackson and start him everyday in left field, because the chicks think he's hot.

It's not like they are trying to make the playoffs or anything.

Awsome