Anybody in favor of an NFL draft lottery?

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Not really. It’s a solution in search of a problem. There’s no problem with the current setup, because I don’t think you can really tank in the NFL.

We all know that players don’t tank in the NBA. It’s management taking resources away and sending word down to the coach to play more rookies. I feel the NFL is less susceptible to tanking because there are so few games. Every game is so precious to each team, owner and coach, that I can’t see them purposely throwing in the towel on even a few games. Plus, by the time you realize this isn’t your year and you’re going nowhere, you might only have like 6-7 games left. The inertia has set in. There’s no pulling the coaches, players and management back from that.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
No, the one thing I would consider is the tiebreaker when teams records are tied being their record last year then strength of schedule. So if a team has a worse record last year then they should get the higher pick on the basis that they have been the shittier team over multiple years. Then only if the two teams have identical records over the past 2 years do you go to strength of schedule in the current year.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
It’s also worth noting that a 3-13 is much much worse than a 6-10 team in most cases. Why potentially take away that shittier team’s best chance at getting good players?

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
No. How can the Browns have any hope of winning if they can't ruin all the QBs?

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I've long been an advocate of actually punishing teams, in any of the four major sports, that do not make the big attempts to improve their teams.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
I've long been an advocate of actually punishing teams, in any of the four major sports, that do not make the big attempts to improve their teams.

Although i like the idea of bears being punished for being bad, it only hurts the fans. McCaskyes will get paid no matter what. Fans will suffer through more bad seasons.

Matt2012

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Wisconsin Badgers
I'm pretty sure the main point of the NBA Draft Lottery is to prevent tanking.
Tanking is not an issue in the NFL. And a draft lottery isn't going to do anything to help bad teams get better.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I really hate the idea of seeing the Browns at the top of the draft every year. Its getting old.

Now in defense of the current draft rules, look at Jacksonville. They spent the last 6 years drafting at the very top, and eventually, they hit on enough prospects to improve.

I think the NFL should adopt a similar NBA type lottery. Top 10-11 teams get seeded. I wouldn't have a problem with all 32.

Rewarding the worst team in the NFL year in and year out is stupid. And punishing the best teams in football every year isn't fun either.

The current system helps with parity. The argument is that is keeps afloat horrible franchises that should be sold or front offices that deserve to be dismantled.

Re-seeding the entire draft would be another interesting off-season event. Maybe half-time at the pro-bowl?

Dude, no. The Jacksonville Jaguars' rebuild has been going on since 2013 and they spent massively in free agency to buy themselves a team. I posted this in another thread.

"There are also examples of teams that flat out bought themselves a super bowl through free agency. Most recent example of that was Elway with the Denver Broncos. The Jacksonville Jaguars haven't exactly won a super bowl themselves but you're seeing this season the results of David Caldwell's trades and free agent spending. They bought themselves a team. 2017 free agents were defensive end Calais Campbell, cornerback A.J. Bouye and safety Barry Church as well as trading for left tackle Branden Albert and defensive tackle Marcell Dareus. In 2016 they spent a boatload of money on Linebacker Malik Jackson, safety Tashaun Gipson, running back Chris Ivory. Its not to say that the Jags only got players from free agency as of course they did manage some hits in the draft like Leonard Fournette, Myles Jack and Jalen Ramsey but its worth noting that their "rebuild" has been going since 2013."

I am fairly certain that no team has spent more money in free agency in the past 5 years than the Jaguars.

Hotwheelz24

They See Me Rollin'
Liked Posts:
NFL draft should stay as it is. People might like it until the time comes when a much better team gets a higher draft pick. The only thing I don't like much is how free agency comes before the draft.

Viciousjay

Liked Posts:
To help STOP SUCK FOR LUCK SITUATIONS, I'm all for it but just with the TOP 5 picks. Seriously the Lions and Browns are the only teams to go 0-16... That's a joke.

Viciousjay

Liked Posts:
I'm pretty sure the main point of the NBA Draft Lottery is to prevent tanking.
Tanking is not an issue in the NFL. And a draft lottery isn't going to do anything to help bad teams get better.

Suck for Luck ring a bell....

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
NFL draft should stay as it is. People might like it until the time comes when a much better team gets a higher draft pick. The only thing I don't like much is how free agency comes before the draft.

Agree you wouldn't want to see NE getting a top pick. Possibly have a lottery excluding all playoff teams, but I'm fine the way it is.

Good point on FA, seems backwards. They could flip it with the draft and even move the draft up a couple of weeks while their at it.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Although i like the idea of bears being punished for being bad, it only hurts the fans. McCaskyes will get paid no matter what. Fans will suffer through more bad seasons.

I personally don't think a team should draft in the top 3 three years in a row. The Browns were given top three picks the last two years (yes, I know they traded out of the 2nd pick in 16, but that would still count), let's say they get the number 3 next year, then I feel they should be slotted at #11 and the teams #4-11 move up. You shouldn't be rewarded for hiring a bad GM.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
You guys understand that only the teams who didn't make the playoffs are lottery eligible in the NBA, right? Everyone else is slotted by record.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Suck for Luck ring a bell....

Everyone knew the Colts were forcing Peyton to get neck surgery and tanking for Luck. That was the most overt NFL suck for a draft pick circumstance. Its not happened many times though since the NFL isn't the NBA where you can turn around a team in short order since you're not dealing with 53 man rosters. Its also quite detrimental to team morale to lose that much when they aren't that bad. Players start not giving a fuck and that spills over into subsequent seasons. If sucking for a high draft pick meant so much then the Browns would have long ago climbed out of the NFL pit of misery.

As an aside, the Colts are certified retards. They ruined Andrew Luck's shoulder/arm and career. They shot him up with painkillers to force him to finish a season and it completely wrecked his health. Don't be surprised to see Luck force his way out of Indy because of it. I am sure he's pissed at how they handled his injuries because its cost him dearly.

Viciousjay

Liked Posts:
Everyone knew the Colts were forcing Peyton to get neck surgery and tanking for Luck. That was the most overt NFL suck for a draft pick circumstance. Its not happened many times though since the NFL isn't the NBA where you can turn around a team in short order since you're not dealing with 53 man rosters. Its also quite detrimental to team morale to lose that much when they aren't that bad. Players start not giving a fuck and that spills over into subsequent seasons. If sucking for a high draft pick meant so much then the Browns would have long ago climbed out of the NFL pit of misery.

As an aside, the Colts are certified retards. They ruined Andrew Luck's shoulder/arm and career. They shot him up with painkillers to force him to finish a season and it completely wrecked his health. Don't be surprised to see Luck force his way out of Indy because of it. I am sure he's pissed at how they handled his injuries because its cost him dearly.

The Browns comment is debatable and basically was built off a bad GM work and poor ownership (dare I admit the same for us as of late). Talent is and has proven with GM's but the product needs to display it on the field. I'll admit I thought Sutton and Ferguson would have been a strong interior duo for many years but then we got a dumbass in Tucker who couldn't coach his way out of a can of bad tuna!