April 23, 2005: What scouts were saying about Aaron Rodgers

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:
Same shit every year. At the end of the day, drafting a QB high is always a risk. Always. That doesn't mean you don't do it.

Do your homework, scout everyone, and take your favorite. Thats all you can really do. The whole "outsmart the NFL" by intentionally waiting for a Dak Prescott is not a real thing as a pre-draft strategy. Not if you are looking for a starter. Thats like trying to pay your mortgage with lotto tickets.

Yeah remember that time everyone hated Matt Ryan because his arm was weak, no wins, and he threw too many picks?

Teams that can compete for playoff spots because they take first round qb's

Green Bay
Detroit
Minnesota

Our own division owns us, but to be fair we drafted a first round qb and ended up in the SuperBowl.

Giants
Saints (Brees would be a first today)
Bucs
Falcons
Panthers
Dolphins
Steelers
Ravens
Titans
Colts
Chiefs
Chargers

All of these teams have or will compete for postseason spots because they drafted first round qb's. A few others got their qb in the early second, Bengals, Raiders, Niners.

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:
I don't think the answer is just to cast your lot into the QB sweepstakes because you think you need one.

Barkley showed me alot. In a bizzarro world Barkley could have been a first round pick. There is no reason to just take Watson/Kizer or Trubs and then cross your fingers if there is all-pro talent sitting there.

Garrett/Hooker.

Don't pass on those guys for a sweepstakes ticket.

Highly touted safeties bust too. The draft is just a crap shoot regardless.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think the answer is just to cast your lot into the QB sweepstakes because you think you need one.

Barkley showed me alot. In a bizzarro world Barkley could have been a first round pick. There is no reason to just take Watson/Kizer or Trubs and then cross your fingers if there is all-pro talent sitting there.

Garrett/Hooker.

Don't pass on those guys for a sweepstakes ticket.

Following that logic, there will only be one QB every 10 or so years worth drafting in the 1st. And then you will need a #1 overall to get him. So yeah. Awesome strategy.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The next bears legend needs to be a fucking QB. Legendary LBs can kinda suck my dick at this point.

Legendary defenders on teams that don't win shit can kinda suck my dick in general at this point.

1ke

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Bucks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Following that logic, there will only be one QB every 10 or so years worth drafting in the 1st. And then you will need a #1 overall to get him. So yeah. Awesome strategy.
This is absolutely true. Which is why the NFL landscape looks as it does with a bunch of shitty dudes playing QB. Each year there will be a different guy playing above his head, then go back to being just a guy.

Steve Mariucci said it best. 5 billion people on this planet, yet this league can't find 32 to play the position at a high level consistently.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

koniu77

Liked Posts:
This is absolutely true. Which is why the NFL landscape looks as it does with a bunch of shitty dudes playing QB. Each year there will be a different guy playing above his head, then go back to being just a guy.

Steve Mariucci said it best. 5 billion people on this planet, yet this league can't find 32 to play the position at a high level consistently.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
That means that the evaluation process between college and NFL is flawed, there is plenty of talent that could successfully play the position but they're not recognized early in high school or college and they slip away into obscurity.

dabears584

Bears Fan For Life TT&T
Liked Posts:
Great post Dez. Drafting a QB is a huge crapshoot no matter what everyone says.

Did GB know something that all of these other people didn't about AR?

dabears584

Bears Fan For Life TT&T
Liked Posts:
That and GB rebuilt him a bit. Those were not wrong. It's just tough to project these guys. What I don't get is that if JA thought him better than Smith, why did we take Benson?

Because they had already spent a 1st rounder on a QB in 2003 that they were still high on.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
That means that the evaluation process between college and NFL is flawed, there is plenty of talent that could successfully play the position but they're not recognized early in high school or college and they slip away into obscurity.

It's not flawed. It's just hard. Still a game. The NFL is crazy successful and popular. Between the pressure, fame, money, injuries, coaches, surrounding talent, etc...it's just hard.