Are fans over-eager to trade Deng & Hinrich?

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is taken from the first of the now weekly edition of ChiCitySports' Bullseye View. Opinions are wanted and appreciated:

Let's face it. Now that the season is over, we Bulls' fans are overly eager to stare into the abyss that waits ahead of us. It is destined to be weeks of chaos, as the NBA gives itself a make-over this summer. This is definitely an exciting time in Chicago Bulls' history, and there is a lot of optimism and confidence around the city. Starting with the 7-game war against the defending 2008 World Champion Boston Celtics, and up through these 2010 NBA Playoffs - this team has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that there finally is light at the end of the tunnel.

And now, as the Bulls seem primed to steal away the best player in the world, off the team that just eliminated them from contention, we must not forget how this team got in the position that it is in now. If so, we might see that Championship light dim very rapidly. And that optimistic glow that surrounds the Bulls' franchise will turn into a pessimistic buzz.

There has been a lot of speculation that the Bulls are looking to make a sign-and-trade deal for an additional top free-agent if they were to land a heavyweight this summer - like LeBron James. That would mean that Luol Deng and Kirk Hinrich would both be gone. And though their contracts are undoubtedly hefty, we fans should ask ourselves the obvious question: Would trading away our depth for a player like Chris Bosh or Amare Stoudemire be worth it? The answer is probably no. Unless you like the idea of trading away 2 solid all-around players for a defensively-underachieving big man - who happens to have a giant contract.

There is a downside for keeping Deng and Hinrich, which is undeniable. They are both overpaid, by any standard in the NBA. Neither Deng or Hinrich should be hands-off when it comes to trade talks, obviously. But they are both very good defensive players. Deng can hit the mid-range 18-foot jump-shot all day. If he had LeBron James and Derrick Rose setting him up from the corner, Deng would be lethal. Kirk Hinrich has long-range, but he has his cold showings. However, he's still a great play-maker, and we need could certainly use a combo-guard of his caliber - perhaps coming off the bench.

Bulls' GM Gar Forman made it a point to keep (not only Rose and Noah, but) Deng, Hinrich, and Taj Gibson while the Bulls were sniffing out potential trades that would lower their 2010-11 payroll. Chicago parted ways with John Salmons and Tyrus Thomas because of this. But if the Bulls are ever going to be a NBA Championship contender again, they are going to need the solid foundation beneath their feet to do it with.

We are fortunate enough to have players like Luol Deng and Kirk Hinrich. These two guys used to be two of the Bulls' best players as a mediocre, lower-seeded Playoff team; we fans need to start counting our blessings that we have two guys like them who can now settle into the supporting cast, and step up when we need them. We should not sell them down the river unless that becomes our best option.

Sweet Luo and Captain Kirk certainly deserve a little more appreciation from the Chicago Bulls and their fans. We love 'em both.

Last edited:

Lex L.

Liked Posts:
I dont think people are over eager. Theyre good players but not worth what theyre being paid. I dont think its unfair to want to move them.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I understand this sentiment, but as someone said the other day...let's hypothetically trade Deng and Kirk for Hedo...which would allow us to have Hedo, Rose, Noah AND two max players. Sprinkle in Morrow and a good rookie, we're tough.

However, I don't believe in signing guys to max contracts just b/c we have the money, either. Joe Johnson doesn't need to come to chicago for max dollars...nor does boozer.

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ehhh.... No Hedo. I would protest if that happened man... especially if we were giving up Hinrich and Deng to get him...

bossdrb

The Boss
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think it was a very well written article, nonetheless. Made some great points.

I wouldn't wanna give up Deng or The Captain either...but I don't know. Depth matters but I want 2 superstars badly.

hsvj60

Liked Posts:
If this was to happen with the Rappers then I would sign if I could LeBron, Boozer for a lot less and sign Johnson as well giving our team depth and a good strting line up with the best player on the planet in the house.
Boozer
Noah
Lebron
Johnson
Rose

Hedo, Taj, and the rest of the suppporting cast would be going a long way in the play offs

I wouldn't take on 2 max contracts just 1 and then 2 lesser contracts and move on down the road

TopekaRoy

The Wizard of OZ
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would hate to lose Deng and Hinrich, but if that's what we have to do to get LeBraun and another max free agent, I'm OK with it. If we get James, we almost have to deal Deng.

It's a complicated math problem. The current team + James is obviously better than the current team. But is the current team + James + Bosh - Deng - Hinrich > the current team + James? In other words is Bosh (or Boozer or whoever) better than Deng and Hinrich combined? I'm not sure it is.

This all hinges on whether or not we get James to begin with. Then you have to look at who wants Deng and/or Hinrich?

It all gets very complicated and speculative ...

Last edited:

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I would hate to lose Deng and Hinrich, but if that's what we have to do to get LeBraun and another max free agent, I'm OK with it. If we get James, we almost have to deal Deng.

It's a complicated math problem. The current team + James is obviously better than the current team. But is the current team + James + Bosh - Deng - Hinrich > the current + James? In other words is Bosh (or Boozer or whoever) better than Deng and Hinrich combined? I'm not sure it is.

This all hinges on whether or not we get James to begin with. Then you have to look at who wants Deng and/or Hinrich?

It all gets very complicated and speculative ...

Not only is the above an excellent, well-thought-out post, but I do not have an answer to it.

:clap:

Lefty

Liked Posts:
I would hate to lose Deng and Hinrich,

Why? Deng is awful and Hinrich, while a solid 2, is extremely overpaid for what he actually does on the court.

In other words is Bosh (or Boozer or whoever) better than Deng and Hinrich combined? I'm not sure it is.

Well it can't be just "whoever", Bosh and Boozer aren't interchangeable variables. One is far and away superior to the other.

It's a complicated math problem....But is the current team + James + Bosh - Deng - Hinrich > the current team + James?

Yes, by far. See? Not at all complicated.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Why? Deng is awful and Hinrich, while a solid 2, is extremely overpaid for what he actually does on the court.

Well it can't be just "whoever", Bosh and Boozer aren't interchangeable variables. One is far and away superior to the other.

Yes, by far. See? Not at all complicated.

While I agree with everything you just said, the important thing is the variable...not the James one, the other one...Bosh? Yes. Boozer, not so much.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
Yeah, but the question was "Is James+Bosh+current roster-Deng-Hinrich > James + current roster"....that's an easy yes.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Yeah, but the question was "Is James+Bosh+current roster-Deng-Hinrich > James + current roster"....that's an easy yes.

That scenario is a definite yes, agreed.

EROCK23

Liked Posts:
Hinrich should stay. Deng can go if its for Bosh or LBJ

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
if bulls get lebron and bosh both of them can go

Bullsman24

Mr Metta World Peace
Liked Posts:
lefty i'd have to switch it around. hinrich is terrible and deng is overpaid for what he does on the court. do you realize deng nearly put up the same stats he did in 07 on worse shooting? which is to be expected because you lost hinrich as a scoring option and one of the best shooters in the nba

Bullsman24

Mr Metta World Peace
Liked Posts:
someone said sign johnson and boozer and lebron. dude, that is DEFINITELY not possible. new york will probably offer both near max or max once they strike out. they would be our ONLY pickup if we got one.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
if you want to possibly get bosh and lebron then yes you would have to get rid of those contracts which are not the best contracts imo

tho i love deng as a player i'd like to see him get a fresh start in a new place where he can be a star again