Are the Bears the worst big market franchise in professional sports?

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Bears are mediocre as fuck, so I can agree they are not truly the worst run franchise in a major market.

I would argue they are probably near #1 in terms of how much they frustrate their own fans.

They obviously make money, so they are getting that right whether we like it or not.

But I'd be interested to see if any other big market (top 3 cities) franchise in any sport frustrates their fans as many ways as the Bears do, and as badly, and for 30+ years.

Can you think of any component of the franchise that hasn't frustrated you in some way in your life as a fan the last 30 years?

Fan experience at Soldier Field?

Soldier Field itself (including renovation)?

Owners? GM? Coach? OC? DC? ST?

Roster management? Draft? Players?

I recognize every fan base will say they have had frustrations with these things, but I'd argue they don't experience it in such a consistent way, year-in-year-out, almost as if they figured out how to run a franchise on a pattern of behavior designed to continuously give the impression they might suddenly become winners, so you may hate them, but you cannot truly stop watching.

I think the Bears figured out after that first Super Bowl, so long as they kept "rebuilding" on a regular cycle, it never matters if they win another Super Bowl.... sure it'd be a nice bonus, but not required.

It only matters that they present the façade that they are a QB away from a reboot of that 1985 Super Bowl.

The 2006-2007 season was the perfect almost-repeat of that same defense-wins-championships which allowed them to keep doing it for another 20 years.

DammitFullerTurnUrHead!

Liked Posts:
They are on the list, but the Jets, Mets, Lions, Sacramento Kings, Knicks, Orioles, Marlins, Pirates, and insert NHL team here are above them.

That’s just off the top of my head.
The kings, orioles, pirates and Marlins are not big market organizations. None are even top 20 in market size.

abegibronlives

Liked Posts:
New York Jets

I'd have to agree - As long as the Jets are the way they are, they are the titleholder.

The Bears have done their best to get into the conversation, however.

Now Houston as a city:

Harden got out, Watt got out, Hopkins got out, Watson wants out, and the baseball team has a permanent asterisk next to its World Series win for cheating.

So, there's that.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Up until recently, the Clippers were the standard for inept franchises with 7 50%+ winning percentage seasons from 1970 to 2010 and 3 50%+ winning percentage seasons from 1979 to 2010.

The Bulls, as an example, had 6 50%+ winning percentage seasons from 1998 to 2010 (or Post-Jordan).

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Bears are just pure mediocrity.

I would find them a lot more tolerable if there was something more interesting than basic ineptitude going on. Like how the Texans are basically run by a charlatan who has McNair under his spell.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
No they aren't number one at anything including sucking. They suck just enough to be hard to completely ignore.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
No they aren't number one at anything including sucking. They suck just enough to be hard to completely ignore.
This is true. The Bulls you can just forget about, the Bears keep you hooked.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The Jets and Bears when it comes to football then. Overall yeah the Knicks are bad. Some of the places mentioned I wouldn't consider among the "big markets".

Montucky

Liked Posts:
The Los Angeles Chargers barely even exist. The Texans are honestly the biggest dumpster fire in pro sports.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
In pro sports? No. But in terms of market size/being the only show in town at their sport. Yeah, i'm having trouble finding a one worse in the NFL. The Jets at least compete with the Giants.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think the Texans are clearly carrying this torch for football.. the jet’s handed it off to them back in January

Canth

Liked Posts:
The Los Angeles Chargers barely even exist. The Texans are honestly the biggest dumpster fire in pro sports.

The Chargers should be a case study in how an owner's ego outweighs reality and a good situation. To on purpose leave San Diego to go to LA where you never had any real presence was mind boggling. Spanos also did not really have the cash to make that move like Kroenke did.

Monster

Liked Posts:
Top 5.... But that keeps them out of top picks.
Just stay good enough for mediocrity.

Sparks500

Liked Posts:
They’re not the worst, not the best, but they sure are the unluckiest.....

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
No.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
New york and la each have more teams. So chicago looks worst by comparison.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I think the Texans are clearly carrying this torch for football.. the jet’s handed it off to them back in January
I just don't understand what they are doing. I'm not even sure they understand what they are doing.