Arenas Tells DA Crittenton Had Loaded Gun

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
According to two first-hand accounts of the confrontation, Crittenton responded to Arenas's action -- which included laying the four unloaded weapons in Crittenton's cubicle with a note that read, "Pick One" -- by brandishing his own firearm, loading a clip of ammunition into the gun and cocking the weapon.

Two of the five people in the room that morning, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said Arenas had originally not disclosed Crittenton's action to protect the little-used guard from prosecution and had told Crittenton he would assume full responsibility for the actions of both players that day.

In a two-hour interview with the district attorney on Monday, Arenas, in his version of the story, spoke of Crittenton's loaded gun, a person with knowledge of Arenas's testimony said, adding that the player was expressly told by attorneys not to lie under oath.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/06/AR2010010605167.html?hpid=artslot

If this turns out to be true (which it probably is, as I don't see Arenas telling the DA this otherwise, as well as the two other witnesses), then Crittenton will be done in the NBA as well. Arenas and Crittenton will be joining each other with life long bans from the NBA imo.

TheStig

Liked Posts:
It is pretty amazing how Crittenton isn't suspended. If true, I can see charges being filed against Critteton and him being banned but I don't see how the two are equally bad?

pinkizdead

Liked Posts:
his lies might be the reason why gil is banned whereas javaris isn't plus. this is his last year in the nba anyways.

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
pinkizdead wrote:
his lies might be the reason why gil is banned whereas javaris isn't plus. this is his last year in the nba anyways.

Yeah, I guess no one is going to touch a scrub like Crittenton after this. I remember at the time of the Kobe trades, some Lakers fans talking about how they don't want Ben Gordon back in the trade because they already have Javaris Crittenton, who is a bigger version of Ben Gordon, with more point guard skills.

TheStig

Liked Posts:
pinkizdead wrote:

Gil isn't getting banned. I would expect to see him back at some point in the year. THe players association will be sticking up for him and appeal and reduce whatever he gets.

Liked Posts:
Hoo...if even half of that is true these guys are in trouble.

Can the NBA fire players?

The NBA is a business...I suppose I can understand that. Maybe it's just how it's always seemed so different from the jobs most of us have.

When Latrell Sprewell choked his coach he sat for nearly the entire season (70 games or so if I remember correctly) but he was back first thing the next seasons and played several more years until he started turning down 21 million dollar contracts over 3 years because it wasn't enough to feed his family.

Maybe I'm wrong but what Spree did seems so much worse but maybe there's more to this than we know right now. The times are different as well given the Plaxico Burress episode.

(Not that the two cases are identical...they're very much different. I'm just referring to a famous athlete having a firearm in his possession inappropriately).

If what's said about Crittenton is true he needs to be suspended for the rest of the year and maybe even face a lifetime ban.

As for Gilbert...sigh...you know...?

He lied...he tried to smile and laugh it off and get away with it like Chris Webber used to flash a smile and get away with stuff...he lied some more...more and more stuff is coming out...

If it's true does anyone see him going away for good?

Things happen so quickly in situations like that (remember the Baylor murder several years ago where one of the players killed his teammate?) it's a wonder someone isn't dead or really, really hurt...

Just ask Jayson Williams how 3 seconds can change life as you know it.

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
Frank Breakfast-Styleham wrote:
Hoo...if even half of that is true these guys are in trouble.

Can the NBA fire players?

The NBA is a business...I suppose I can understand that. Maybe it's just how it's always seemed so different from the jobs most of us have.

When Latrell Sprewell choked his coach he sat for nearly the entire season (70 games or so if I remember correctly) but he was back first thing the next seasons and played several more years until he started turning down 21 million dollar contracts over 3 years because it wasn't enough to feed his family.

Maybe I'm wrong but what Spree did seems so much worse but maybe there's more to this than we know right now. The times are different as well given the Plaxico Burress episode.

(Not that the two cases are identical...they're very much different. I'm just referring to a famous athlete having a firearm in his possession inappropriately).

If what's said about Crittenton is true he needs to be suspended for the rest of the year and maybe even face a lifetime ban.

As for Gilbert...sigh...you know...?

He lied...he tried to smile and laugh it off and get away with it like Chris Webber used to flash a smile and get away with stuff...he lied some more...more and more stuff is coming out...

If it's true does anyone see him going away for good?

Things happen so quickly in situations like that (remember the Baylor murder several years ago where one of the players killed his teammate?) it's a wonder someone isn't dead or really, really hurt...

Just ask Jayson Williams how 3 seconds can change life as you know it.

Stern has gotten a lot tougher in his punishments since the Spreewell incident. Just look at the 15 game suspension Carmelo Anthony got for a pussy punch a few years ago. That would have been a 1-2 game suspension not too long ago.

I don't think suspensions will matter too much for these players though.

Javaris Crittenton is done in the NBA after this year regardless of being banned or not. No one is going to pick up a scrub with this much baggage.

And if it is the felony charges brought against Arenas, than he is done as well. He will be on the wrong side of 30 by the time he gets out of prison, and no one is going to touch him after that.

Shakes

Iconoclast
Liked Posts:
If I'm the wizards front office I'm hoping for a life ban on Arenas to get out of his horrible contract. I'd probably be on the phone to Stern begging him to let me void his contract.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
They don't need a life ban...once the investigation is complete...if Arenas is charged with a felony...his contract most likely will be terminated...not bought out...terminated.

TheStig

Liked Posts:
houheffna wrote:
They don't need a life ban...once the investigation is complete...if Arenas is charged with a felony...his contract most likely will be terminated...not bought out...terminated.

What happened to innocent till proven guilty? Can we execute him now, save the money for a trial and bill his family for the bullet?

TheStig

Liked Posts:
Shakes wrote:
If I'm the wizards front office I'm hoping for a life ban on Arenas to get out of his horrible contract. I'd probably be on the phone to Stern begging him to let me void his contract.
They aren't going to ban him. Its completely unprecedented. Spreewell chocked his coach and didn't get banned. They also won't get his contract voided because there is no chance he gets convicted of a felony. He can easily plead it down and if reports are true of what they said, he isn't even going to be charged with a felony.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
What happened to innocent till proven guilty? Can we execute him now, save the money for a trial and bill his family for the bullet?

dude...are you serious? Is this fantasy league thing getting to you?

He admitted it!

I said "if"...

had he done this on any other job he would be fired...no questions asked...he DESERVES to be out for the year...the Wizards are elated...20mil over the next 4 years? Hell no...terminate that. He is not worth it anyway...

I am a proponent of innocent till proven guilty...however...you are on a forum where one of its members called Kobe a rapist...so don't know how much that famed credo will fly on here.

TheStig

Liked Posts:
houheffna wrote:

dude...are you serious? Is this fantasy league thing getting to you?

He admitted it!

I said "if"...

had he done this on any other job he would be fired...no questions asked...he DESERVES to be out for the year...the Wizards are elated...20mil over the next 4 years? Hell no...terminate that. He is not worth it anyway...

I am a proponent of innocent till proven guilty...however...you are on a forum where one of its members called Kobe a rapist...so don't know how much that famed credo will fly on here.

Kobe probably is a rapist and OJ is probably a murderer. But thats why we have courts, laws and lawyers. If reports are true, Gil didn't commit a felony. He was also trying to cover up and save his teammates career, which through the entire witch hunt, the guy who actually committed a felony isn't suspended. Furthermore, our commissioner is going against normal procedure and suspended him because of jokes and hand gestures.

Forget, the fantasy league, I will be fine. The guy is getting the raw end of the stick over a really inappropriate joke. I would really be surprised if he gets over 30 games or charged with a felony. The NBA has overblown a situation under the guise of guns. Is a tnk dangerous without gas? Is a nuclear bomb dangerous without uranium? Is a rpg dangerous without a missle? There clearly was no intent to hurt anyone or a loaded weapon, I don't see the felony necessary to ban him. It only was escalated by the other guy when he had a weapon, loaded it and pointed it at someone else. I would respect the nba much more in this if the other guy as suspended already, but he isn't. I always liked Gil as a player and thought he would take the next step a couple of years ago.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
The question now is, what happens next for Arenas? The criminal and basketball ramifications are potentially severe, with multiple sources telling CBSSports.com on Wednesday they wouldn't be surprised if Stern ultimately suspended Arenas for the rest of the season. But whereas Arenas' nightmare is only beginning, the damage to the NBA has already been done. That is why Stern responded as he did, rather than wait until the criminal investigation is over. "In my mind, he did Gilbert a favor," an official familiar with the circumstances said. "And he did every player in this league a favor." CBSSports.com

Kobe probably is not a rapist...he is probably innocent. Had he walked around and made fun of the situation...he would have forced the commissioner's hand. He decided to play, and let the process work itself out. If Kobe is probably guilty...Arenas probably had intent to use those guns for more than just a damn joke. I would much rather believe that a chick in Denver was lying on Kobe than believe Arenas' lame ass story.

joking about the situation is pretty much taunting the commissioner...it was ill advised...and take it from someone who lives around gun violence...there is nothing funny about it.

The excuses are all lame...and can cost him a lot of money and a big contract...what he did was very stupid and very, very dangerous.

Magic players didn't sound surprised by Stern's decision. "There's no place for firearms in the locker room, in NBA arenas or on any type of NBA business, and we all know that," Orlando point guard Anthony Johnson said. "They drill that into our heads time and time again. With him being a veteran player, he knows that. "It's just an unfortunate incident, because he's such a good player, a great guy, a great ambassador for the NBA," Johnson added. "But he put himself in a position where David Stern had to come down on him." Orlando Sentinel

I like Arenas too, but he deserves the suspension. Nothing to joke about in that situation...many people walk around with guns and ammo with no intent...many others walk around with guns and ammo with bad intent. For the sake of security and safety, the latter is usually the presumption.

The commissioner is sending a message...I agree with him.

TheStig

Liked Posts:
I agree that joking around about it afterward was definitely not the right thing to do. Two wrongs don't make a right. And maybe suspending him is in his best interests but my problem is if its the whole year and the inconsistency of the matter with stern. If he wants to give him 20-30 games to send a message, thats fine, thats reasonable. I just don't like the way he is going about it and I think the rest of the season is way too much. What makes things worse is, Critteon did something far worse and got no punishment.

And I don't get your second point at all, he had no ammo. Hence he had absolutely no intent to harm anyone. What can you do with an unloaded gun besides a stick up and throwing it at someone?

MADman24

Liked Posts:
houheffna wrote:
had he done this on any other job he would be fired...no questions asked...he DESERVES to be out for the year...
This is not any other job. It's more like a musician bringing guns into an arena before a concert and unlike most normal jobs, NBA players have a great deal of protection from firings. Just because normal jobs can fire people before an investigation has settled things does not make it just that the NBA can't/doesn't.

TheStig wrote:
I agree that joking around about it afterward was definitely not the right thing to do. Two wrongs don't make a right. And maybe suspending him is in his best interests but my problem is if its the whole year and the inconsistency of the matter with stern. If he wants to give him 20-30 games to send a message, thats fine, thats reasonable. I just don't like the way he is going about it and I think the rest of the season is way too much. What makes things worse is, Critteon did something far worse and got no punishment.

And I don't get your second point at all, he had no ammo. Hence he had absolutely no intent to harm anyone. What can you do with an unloaded gun besides a stick up and throwing it at someone?
This is nothing more than another version of the story. This argument is based on the idea that either of you know what happened. The article you are quoting admits the Crittenton brandishing a loaded gun story was just one of several versions. We should all reserve judgment until the DA actually does something. With that said, even then all the facts will probably never be known in this story. Look at it like this, if they can't even get the number of guns present correct, this story says four while most other say three, how are they going to possibly know what actually happened?

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
This is nothing more than another version of the story. This argument is based on the idea that either of you know what happened. The article you are quoting admits the Crittenton brandishing a loaded gun story was just one of several versions. We should all reserve judgment until the DA actually does something. With that said, even then all the facts will probably never be known in this story. Look at it like this, if they can't even get the number of guns present correct, this story says four while most other say three, how are they going to possibly know what actually happened?

My argument is based on the commissioner's argument...bringing guns to the workplace in the NBA is not allowed and is a punishable offense. The seriousness of bringing firearms to work justifies the punishment. I never said he was guilty of anything felonious, I did say the excuses I have heard are lame...doesn't mean they came from him. The fact is he brought guns to the workplace...period. That sets up punishment from the team, the league and the government...

Liked Posts:
No, you're right on Hou. When Arenas is joking around, making gun gestures with his hands you could almost hear the anger in Stern's statement.

If you brought a gun into work and you're joking about it, it's almost like you WANT to go away or something.

It might also be worth noting that Arenas hasn't been himself all year. By that I mean that basically until now he hasn't been the clown he's been for so long. His interviews have been serious...almost to the point of Shakespearean prose...so serious...at times before this I thought he didn't want to be there (especially when rumors surfaced his girl was sleeping with Shaq on the side which may or may not be true).

If so...it wouldn't really surprise me if this was a plan to get away from basketball.

He already has enough money for his great grandchildren's great grandchildren to munch on...

TheStig

Liked Posts:
MADman24 wrote:
This is nothing more than another version of the story. This argument is based on the idea that either of you know what happened. The article you are quoting admits the Crittenton brandishing a loaded gun story was just one of several versions. We should all reserve judgment until the DA actually does something. With that said, even then all the facts will probably never be known in this story. Look at it like this, if they can't even get the number of guns present correct, this story says four while most other say three, how are they going to possibly know what actually happened?[/quote]

Well supposedly there is a tape. So we should know what actually happened soon enough.