Arizona To Pursue Konerko

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have been doing alot of thinking about this situation with paul konerko. i love the guy for sure, he had a great year last year......unexpected atleast imo. but now that i think about it some more, isnt it time for change? sure aj,jenks,pauly,buehrle were on the 2005 team, it is now 2010 going into the 2011 season and since 2005 nothing really has worked.

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
Let em go. The old guy had a career-esque year at the end of his contract....

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
"Bruce Levine of ESPNChicago reported over the weekend that the D’Backs will pursue Paul Konerko, but Piecoro suggests a deal with Konerko “probably won’t happen.” The first baseman is in position to demand a lot of money and D’Backs people aren’t sure he can provide enough defense at first base." per mlbtr

Lefty

Liked Posts:
It would be so Chicago-esque to finally have a Type A, and thus be in a position to re-constitute what most teams call a farm system, and fuck it up somehow, either by re-signing him or scaring other teams off with huge publicly proposed salaries on an extension.

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lots to catch up on here, but let’s start with the ESPN.com report from Saturday about the Diamondbacks’ anticipated interest in soon-to-be free agent first baseman Paul Konerko.

The report, citing two league sources, said Konerko will be an “off-season priority” for the Diamondbacks.

While this makes sense in some ways -- the Diamondbacks will have an opening at first base as they aren’t expected to bring back Adam LaRoche (more on that below) and Konerko is a local product out of Scottsdale Chaparral High -- the feeling I’m getting from club sources is that it probably won’t happen.

The biggest reason? Money. Konerko’s coming off a monster year -- the best season of his career, actually, numbers-wise -- and even if he were to take a hometown discount, Diamondbacks people still aren’t certain he would be affordable enough to fit into their budget. At least not with holes in the bullpen, rotation, bench and left field that will need to be addressed, as well.

Some wonder if he can play a full season at first base. He’ll be 35 next year and this season played 125 games at first and 23 games as the designated hitter.

Plus, it sounds like the Diamondbacks will put a priority on defensive ability when it comes to first base, not a strong suit of Konerko’s.

Anyway, I'm sure the Diamondbacks will talk with him, but unless he really wants to play here, I doubt it ends up happening.
azcentral.com blogs - Nick Piecoro - Konerko rumors, LaRoche's option, Schmidt's shoulder, coaches & scouts

More confirmation that the D-Backs won't sign him. It'd be foolish for any NL team to sign Konerko to a multi-year deal when he'll never replicate his numbers from this season and his defense has always been below average

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Konerko last year seemed to my eyes to be a GG first sacker. I would say with age, he's gotten way up there on the D list.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
his defense is fine with me. not below avg

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire