At What Point Did You Know Football Was Special For You

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
does she yell at you while you are on cscs? or does she just smoke a doob and say 'botfly will be botfly'?

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
she sounds like a keeper

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
do you get in trouble for football obsessions?

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
sometimes, during football season. my wife won't let me play fantasy any more. she says I get too upset and hoard the Tv. so I gave up fantasy

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
may we get back on topic please?

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
Great thread. Will post on my day off. Good to have ya back, Ole.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
my dad grew up in Omaha NE. and used to listen to the Bears on radio prior to them being on TV. By fate he ended up going to Saint Louis U and eventually ended up starting a career at Little Company of Mary hospital on the South Side. I grew up with the Bears on TV, my dad would drink some beer and by late in the 2nd half would be pissed and go out and start cleaning the garage. He was disgusted w how bad they played. Anyway what really ignited my fire were the mid 70s Raiders and Steelers. I had a Franco Harris poster and liked Swann Stallworth Bradshaw...Casper..Stabler...that stuff was pure magic. I remember Payton's first game...it was not good but Walter sealed the deal for me, they sucked but it was damn fun watching him run.

I play music and most musicians are not sports people, I can remember being at a band practice on a Sunday when the Bears were in the playoffs w/ Wanndstedt...maybe I'm wrong it was Erik Kramer and can't remember the RB's name...but the band was in a room playing and I was standing outside the room in the hallway playing the songs but watching the Bears lol

dennehy

Liked Posts:
my dad grew up in Omaha NE. and used to listen to the Bears on radio prior to them being on TV. By fate he ended up going to Saint Louis U and eventually ended up starting a career at Little Company of Mary hospital on the South Side. I grew up with the Bears on TV, my dad would drink some beer and by late in the 2nd half would be pissed and go out and start cleaning the garage. He was disgusted w how bad they played. Anyway what really ignited my fire were the mid 70s Raiders and Steelers. I had a Franco Harris poster and liked Swann Stallworth Bradshaw...Casper..Stabler...that stuff was pure magic. I remember Payton's first game...it was not good but Walter sealed the deal for me, they sucked but it was damn fun watching him run.

I play music and most musicians are not sports people, I can remember being at a band practice on a Sunday when the Bears were in the playoffs w/ Wanndstedt...maybe I'm wrong it was Erik Kramer and can't remember the RB's name...but the band was in a room playing and I was standing outside the room in the hallway playing the songs but watching the Bears lol

My dad was born at Little Company of Mary in 1946. Can't believe that hospital is still open.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Great thread Ole.

Odd thing for me is that some of the first memories of NFL football were the Rams against the Vikings ... in the mud. Strange because they didn´t play each other that often and certainly not always in the mud.

However; for me, the moment happened in the mid to late 70s. My brothers and I had already become Bears fans, or more accurately, Walter Payton fans and smashmouth defense fans. Sure, the Bears didn´t win many games but teams knew that they had been in a battle every Sunday even if the scoreboard didn't show it.

During this time period, the offensive line was pretty damn poor and was called for a ton of holding penalties. Many a time, Payton would break off a 40+ yard run, ending up in the endzone only have a yellow flag show up on the ground, eliminating yet another fantastic Payton run.

For about a year, my brothers and I would act like any normal fan would. We would jump up screaming, "GO! GO GO!" and high-fiving each other when we saw that he was not going to be tackled only to be disappointed when the yellow flag was revealed.

After about a year, we had learned our lesson. When Payton started a spectacular run, we would all stand up and stare at the tv in utter silence. Only after about 20 seconds would pass after the rush to make sure that no flag had been thrown would we allow ourselves to celebrate.

At that moment, I knew that I was hooked. Our love for the team had completely changed our natural response to in game action.

We had become ... institutionalized.

[video=youtube;jeMux1GjA7Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeMux1GjA7Y[/video]

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I was 9 years old for the 85 season, and my dad was a pretty big fan. I can still remember coming home from basketball practice and everyone singing the Superbowl shuffle. But I was more of a football fan than a Bears fan at that time. It was my favorite sport, played whenever I could. We didn't have youth football where I lived, and my frickin mom wouldn't let me go to CCD because we weren't catholic, so I couldn't play until high school. My dad had been injured playing as a kid, and he didn't really want me to play. To get him to go to the games my freshman year I signed him up to do the chain gang without telling him. My career highlight, in retrospect, was sacking Matt Bowen my senior year and winning a playoff game.

I played football, basketball, and baseball all through high school. I was much better at baseball but I loved football much more. I play DIII for one year, but at 18 I just lost whatever it is that makes someone want to smash into someone else. After my freshman season was over I quit.

I became a huge Bears fan again when I moved back to the city around 1999 and started watching games at Lottie's. Left Chicago in 02 and come back to see family and friends a couple times a years. Since then the Bears have been by far the team I care about most; I still root White Sox and Illini, but not as much as I used to. But my love for the Bears has never gone away.

Woods

Chicago Bears Fan
Liked Posts:
It was on my 7th birthday. When my mom made football shaped cookies for me and my friends. Instantly hooked.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I got into football when I was 10....I was living in Florida at the time so I was following the Dolphins......my pinnacle achievement of early fanhood was perhaps the greatest game I ever saw........the Epic in Miami in 1982...Miami vs San Diego.....

There was a nice lady sitting next to me, whom did not understand football, and I had to explain why Woodley was replaced with Strock....I quickly explained to her that Woodley sometimes prefers to run and he was fumbling because of it and Strock is more of a passer..........The rest of the game was fun to watch.......end of story

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
It was on my 7th birthday. When my mom made football shaped cookies for me and my friends. Instantly hooked.

hqdefault.jpg

Beast15

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
'85 Super bowl. I was 6 and my whole family were Pats fans except for my cousin. I cheered for Bears because he was. My Aunt and Uncle went back to Missouri and sent me posters of the '85 defense and " Refrigerator " Perry for my birthday. All downhill after that....

TheeUndyingFan

Dragon of Dojima
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
I was at a Bears game in fourth grade when a certain linebacker made a shoestring tackle. Three gentlemen behind me were honest to god crying laughing because a player "was tripped up by Bryan's Cox." This joke played really well for me in middle school the following day. It was fourth grade so I knew Bryan didn't have two cocks but nobody seemed to care.

This wasn't really when I started to fall in love with the Bears but ever since I've been a huge proponent of immature garbage humor that doesn't really work.

SD Bears

Liked Posts:
1977.... Walter rushed for 275 yards against the Vikings. Every kid I knew had a Payton poster. They lost to Dallas in the playoffs. Been hooked ever since...

I was at that game with my friend and his Dad. Didn't take my eyes off the field for fear of missing Walter rip off another 40 yard run. I was a casual fan at that time - too active to be tied down to watching Sunday football. That day I became a Bears fanatic and haven't missed more than dozen games since, even through college. Walter is the reason I love pro football and the Bears.

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
When I saw Eddie Payton run the power sweep. And then his kid brother, Walter kick a 40 yd field goal to seal a victory against Grambling.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
Wore Payton’s number from when I started playing football at 13 til end of high school. Always loved Bears, even had a Bears sticker on my helmet .

My grandpa worked for bell in the 50s and 60s, used to be on the sidelines during the bears games to work phones for the coaches and players. After the game he used to go party with Clyde bulldog turner and the team at some tavern, come home at 2 A.M. bombed hahaha. Always thought that was super cool, so always been a bears fan.

Glad you’re back