Avalanche Goalies

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have grown slowly into the opinion that the Avs would make the playoff hunt interesting if they would move on from Varlamov and go with the kid Pickard.

Its just a feeling. In the same way Crawford will hold opponents down until we score first, or hold strongest when we need it most, come up big time and time again late or in OT's, he is a winning goalie, where Varlamov feels like a losing one.

I'm not looking at sv% or anything, its just a feeling I get that the Avs forwards are pretty good, and Varlamov leaks at the worst times. Blows games early, and they fall behind, gives up rebounds when trying to hold leads. It just feels ugly to me. They need to move on.

I think Pickard might be good enough to make them a dangerous 7 or 8 seed were we to land them. Right now I prefer to land against Nashville, Minnesota more than I would Avalance/Sharks

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Don't post stoned, you junkie.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Colorado ain't shit.

They gotta make the playoffs first, too. And if the playoffs started today, they wouldn't be.

But should the Avs make it into the playoffs, they're a team built on the largely outdated notion that all you have to do is get to the playoffs and then ride the hot hand of a goalie all the way to the Cup. Think about it: when was the last time a goalie played so well through the whole playoffs that he pretty much carried a team by himself to the Cup? Crawford/Niemi each had some great series for the Hawks, but to say they carried the team to the Cup is probably a bit of a stretch. Ditto with Quick on LA. Tim Thomas played well for Boston, but he had a ton of help in front of him. Cam Ward may have been the last one to do so, and that was in 2006.

The problem with Colorado is that the players in front of Varly/Pickard just aren't good/deep enough. They've got some great young forwards, but that's about it. They also get slayed in just about every possession metric, and for the most part, it's been the teams at the top of those possession metrics who've been winning the Cup lately.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Saw Pickard play plenty for the Tbirds...he has some potential. Too bad for the 'hawks we got his main goalie rivals in Kent Simpson from Everett and Mac Carruth from Portland.

I think the avs are stuck with the Varlamint, though. He's on a Crawford-like deal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk