Avery Johnson the leading candidate for Detroit?

charity stripe

Liked Posts:
ESPN's been mentioning over the past 2 days that Avery Johnson and Doug Collins are both in the running for the HC gig with Detroit.

It would probably the best NBA coach BG would play for.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
Doug Collins doesn't want the job, probably saw that roster and ran for the hills....

Avery is a damn good coach, I wanted him in Chicago.

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
Doug Collins pulled himself out of the running.

I can't believe we didn't hire Avery Johnson last offseason. He was my guy.

Bullsman24

Mr Metta World Peace
Liked Posts:
Re:Avery Johnson the leading candidate for Detroit

i think the reason again is because of money. he still is being payed from his dallas contract, so we would've had to match that from his dallas contract, which is probably ridiculous cuz cuban gave it out.

charity stripe

Liked Posts:

The Bulls didn't even contact him. I remember he did an interview on espn radio, and he was openly lobbying for the job. But the Bulls had no interest, just like in Gordon's case.

They much rather have a cheap no nothing than a guy who took his team to the NBA finals.

Bullsman24

Mr Metta World Peace
Liked Posts:

yay ownership...

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:

The Bulls didn't even contact him. I remember he did an interview on espn radio, and he was openly lobbying for the job. But the Bulls had no interest, just like in Gordon's case.

They much rather have a cheap no nothing than a guy who took his team to the NBA finals.

I don't believe that is what happened. You should wait to hear Gar Forman's side of the story.

cranscape

Liked Posts:

Johnson said he was interested in the Bulls but he hadn't gotten any phone call. Then they unveiled VDN. Heh. They didn't even interview Johnson. After interviewing everyone else with a pulse. Once again JR didn't even want to consider investing in his team. Johnson would have cost some money, but even with the number 1 draft pick desperately needing a competent coach it wasn't enough.

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:

Avery is going to have a blast with the defensive backcourt they have.

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
Pistons president Joe Dumars is scheduled to have his first face-to-face meeting with Avery Johnson later this weekend regarding Detroit's coaching vacancy, according to NBA coaching sources.

Sources told ESPN.com that Dumars and Johnson, after discussing the job by phone, have planned to meet Sunday at Johnson's home in the Houston area, with Dumars intent on trying to hire his next coach before the Pistons begin summer-league play next week in Las Vegas.

After former-Pistons coach Doug Collins pulled out of consideration earlier this week, ESPN analyst Johnson was widely regarded as the leading candidate for the position, which was vacated by Tuesday's firing of Michael Curry.

Dumars, though, told the Detroit News that it is "not a given" that Johnson will be hired as Curry's replacement, with sources telling ESPN.com that Dumars has added Boston Celtics associate head coach Tom Thibodeau to an original list of candidates that featured Collins, Johnson and Cleveland Cavaliers assistant coach John Kuester.

Kuester and Thibodeau have no head-coaching experience in the NBA, which appeared to clash with Dumars' recent declaration that he thinks it is "best to move forward with a more experienced coach." It wasn't immediately clear Friday night if the Pistons have requested permission from either Kuester's or Thibodeau's current teams to speak with them.

Johnson has declined interview requests about the Pistons' search but said during the season that he would be more proactive in seeking jobs after completing a second season as a television analyst for ESPN. The 2008-09 season was Johnson's first in TV after the Dallas Mavericks fired him in May 2008 in the wake of a second successive first-round playoff oust.

When he turned down a mid-season offer to coach the Memphis Grizzlies, Johnson said that he was "enjoying my time at ESPN and with my family" but that he was also intent on returning to coaching "at the right time and in the right situation."

Colleagues said Johnson is intrigued by the opportunity to work for one of the league's signature franchises, even though the Pistons are in the midst of what Dumars openly describes as a "transition" period.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4305278

Man, Detroit getting Avery Johnson would suck, and it looks like it's going to happen.

Pistons seem to be committed to winning. Instead of hiring the coach with the highest win percentage in NBA history last year, they went for a guy who was willing to be the lowest paid coach in the league.

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:
??? ?????? wrote:
Pistons president Joe Dumars is scheduled to have his first face-to-face meeting with Avery Johnson later this weekend regarding Detroit's coaching vacancy, according to NBA coaching sources.

Sources told ESPN.com that Dumars and Johnson, after discussing the job by phone, have planned to meet Sunday at Johnson's home in the Houston area, with Dumars intent on trying to hire his next coach before the Pistons begin summer-league play next week in Las Vegas.

After former-Pistons coach Doug Collins pulled out of consideration earlier this week, ESPN analyst Johnson was widely regarded as the leading candidate for the position, which was vacated by Tuesday's firing of Michael Curry.

Dumars, though, told the Detroit News that it is "not a given" that Johnson will be hired as Curry's replacement, with sources telling ESPN.com that Dumars has added Boston Celtics associate head coach Tom Thibodeau to an original list of candidates that featured Collins, Johnson and Cleveland Cavaliers assistant coach John Kuester.

Kuester and Thibodeau have no head-coaching experience in the NBA, which appeared to clash with Dumars' recent declaration that he thinks it is "best to move forward with a more experienced coach." It wasn't immediately clear Friday night if the Pistons have requested permission from either Kuester's or Thibodeau's current teams to speak with them.

Johnson has declined interview requests about the Pistons' search but said during the season that he would be more proactive in seeking jobs after completing a second season as a television analyst for ESPN. The 2008-09 season was Johnson's first in TV after the Dallas Mavericks fired him in May 2008 in the wake of a second successive first-round playoff oust.

When he turned down a mid-season offer to coach the Memphis Grizzlies, Johnson said that he was "enjoying my time at ESPN and with my family" but that he was also intent on returning to coaching "at the right time and in the right situation."

Colleagues said Johnson is intrigued by the opportunity to work for one of the league's signature franchises, even though the Pistons are in the midst of what Dumars openly describes as a "transition" period.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4305278

Man, Detroit getting Avery Johnson would suck, and it looks like it's going to happen.

Pistons seem to be committed to winning. Instead of hiring the coach with the highest win percentage in NBA history last year, they went for a guy who was willing to be the lowest paid coach in the league.

Stay at ESPN Johnson and get that free money from the Mavs.

charity stripe

Liked Posts:
Sunday's get-together between Joe Dumars and Avery Johnson to discuss the Pistons' coaching opening proved very productive, but an agreement hasn't been reached, a source told NBA.com.

"Great meeting," the source said. "Nothing to report yet."