Avoiding a Potential "Jenga"

N3

Liked Posts:
For those of you who have played the game Jenga you surely will get the gist of the Articles title. For those who have never played the game let me give you the basics. Jenga is a game in which you and your opponents take turns taking small blocks out of a wooden like building. The point of the game is to strategically remove the blocks, while at the same time keeping the building from collapsing. One wrong move and you will have your competitors shouting Jenga in your face.

Sound familiar?

Blackhawks General Manager Stan Bowman is locked in his own proverbial Jenga game. With every potential move he runs the risk of having the defending Stanley Cup Champions collapse around him. From the very first move of the off-season (Dustin Byfuglien, Ben Eager, and Brent Sopel to Atlanta), Blackhawks fans' around the world knew they were in for a roller coaster ride. For any Blackhawk fan that paid attention to what was going on off the ice during the regular season, these moves did not come as a surprise. We all knew the team was in cap hell and that in order to dig themselves out of that hole fan favorites and key players would have to be dealt.

To give Mr.Bowman credit he has been able to keep the core of his Jenga building in tact, while at the same time strategically removing pieces from the building. After all the transactions the Hawks still have the ability to run two very strong lines out on the ice, and also have two very solid bottom lines. To go along with that Stan was also able to keep one of the leagues' best defensive units together. His ability to do that opened the door for what could turn out to be a brilliant move or a train wreck waiting to happen.

As you know the move im referring to revolves around letting Antti Niemi walk, and signing veteran Marty Turco.

One of the biggest questions coming into this off-season was if the Hawks could work out a deal with the young Finnish netminder, and if they could not how much would he be awarded in arbitration? As the weeks went by we slowly came to the realization that Niemi's agent Bil Zito was not going to back down from his ridiculous demands. That left the collective fan base counting down to the arbitration date, and as we counted down rumors popped up left and right about possible deals with Turco, as well as rumors about the Hawks retaining Niemi if he came in under a certain number.

On Saturday Niemi's arbitration was decided, and he was awarded 2.75 million. Lower then what his representation was shooting for, and in a gray area as far as the Hawks were concerned. They could re-sign Niemi and teeter on the salary cap line, or they could let him walk away and try to find a bargain steal in the free agent market.

Stan Bowman was once again faced with a potential Jenga move.

While the results of this move may not come to light until sometime this season, we can however focus on the positives that come from it. Signing Marty Turco for 1.3 million gives the Hawks some cap flexibility. If the hawks would have signed Niemi for 2.75, it would have left them strapped for cash and if an injury were to happen they would have to scramble and make moves to accommodate the replacement. Turco's relatively cheap contract takes away that factor. He also gives the team some veteran presence, and could help develop Corey Crawford's game so he is ready to take over next season.

For those Blackhawks fans' that think this well be the move that breaks us, I ask you to please step away from the ledge. The Blackhawks defensive unit can make even the most average goalie look good, and I expect good things out of a sold goaltender like Marty Turco behind them.

Its a tad bit rushed, and Im a bit rusty...but you fuckers get the gist of it.

derosabomb

Joecawks is a dope
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
holy shit niemi, you wrote something.

bossdrb

The Boss
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not too rusty bro...good stuff dude.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
nice piece! now change your name to something with turco

xCraCKz

Liked Posts:
Good read

bossdrb

The Boss
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm telling you...Turco_No_No or Turco_Uh_Oh.

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
Very good Niemi...good to have ya back writing for the site!

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Very good Niemi...good to have ya back writing for the site!

i wander what lefty thinks, make sure to get his approval first before submitting it officially lol

anyway i love the article, and jenga rules!!!

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
i would kick your ass at jenga

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
we are playing next summer. i will win

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
I am teh grammar nazi!

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
why is dustin in ur sig?

Captain Iago

Giver of Occular Proof
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bad. Fuck anything with Turco. He'll have to go through this again next year most likely.