Bears 2014 Mock Draft Database / Draft Discussion

Liked Posts:
Is the salary cap in your fantasy world 200 million dollars?

They won't get all of those names but they'll have more cap space than you suspect, & no that roster won't come to 200 million. Peppers, Melton, M. Wright, E. Bennett, Garza, Hester, Weems, & Tillman should all get their walking papers. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if Lance Briggs is playing elsewhere next season. Peppers cap hit is basically cut in half this season if he's released, & off the books completely in 2015 allowing even more flexibility. They're going to have more wiggle room than you think & there is really only three top tier free agents in that mock with two second tier, though you try to make it sound like theirs an elite player added to every position.

Liked Posts:
I am begging not to switch to a 3-4 defense...

What don't you like about it? At the start of the 2013 season I was against it myself, but now that it's clearly obvious the entire defense needs a facelift, just what or who is it that you see as being worthwhile to rebuild another 4-3 around? Bostic? The same MLB that's already being talked about for a move to another LB position? I've seen you post in the past the 3-4 is weak against the run, & that's just a plain false generalization, if a team builds one correctly.

I'd like to see a hybrid myself which by formation is still really a 4-3 under, but since they really need to start from scratch anyway, if the Bears can put a good 3-4 defense on the field & decide to do so, I'm fine with it at this point.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Personally, IDC what defense we run -- but this base cover-2 shell has to go unless we have a top 3 Defensive Line. Incorporate it occasionally, but don't run it as a primary defense.

Liked Posts:
Personally, IDC what defense we run -- but this base cover-2 shell has to go unless we have a top 3 Defensive Line. Incorporate it occasionally, but don't run it as a primary defense.

Agreed. In any scenario the Bears have to get better safeties in run support & CB's that can press cover.

D-Fresh3

Liked Posts:
Oh really? Actually Wootton could likey play both RDE in an undersized 3-4, & ROLB. I have no clue how you think Hardy 6'4"/290 would be anything but a DE in a 3-4 defense, maybe a small NT in an undersized 3-4. If you really think a guy who's 6'4" @ 290 would be an OLB in a 3-4 I strongly question the integrity your point of view.

I guess I never looked how big Hardy was, but there is no way Wootton plays OLB, considering he graded out better as a DT this year than a DE...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Liked Posts:
I guess I never looked how big Hardy was, but there is no way Wootton plays OLB, considering he graded out better as a DT this year than a DE...

Wootton could play a little of both at 6'6" 270 though I wouldn't advise using him as a full time OLB that would have to drop back on a significant number of plays. Still between OLB & DE Wootton could still have value on the roster at both positions if used correctly. Just because he graded out better with a lot fewer snaps on the interior doesn't mean he'd be better there over the long term with wear & tear. Some of you seem to forget that when Marinelli was the DC he did drop All three of Wotton, Peppers & McClellin into coverage at times off the edge to cut off hot reads & or to cover the flat.

D-Fresh3

Liked Posts:
Wootton could play a little of both at 6'6" 270 though I wouldn't advise using him as a full time OLB that would have to drop back. Still between OLB & DE Wootton could still have value on the roster at both positions if used correctly.

I just think he would excel at RE in the 3-4, I think that position plays to his strengths.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
Brent Urban played for an absolutely awful team this year so he isn't getting any love in the draft... but he is an athletic freak with really good size and I hope we take him in the 6th... he has the most upside of anyone in the later part of the draft... tons of power and athleticism... leads college football in batted passes and missed 4 games...

TezMaKai

Liked Posts:
Trade up to the Rams 2nd pick to get Clowney. People would diagree with this because of what we would have to give up to make it happen, but Clowney is the one defensive player I would not be mad at Emery for mortgaging the future for. Super bowl or bust with the offense we have right now. Lets fix this defense.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Trade up to the Rams 2nd pick to get Clowney. People would diagree with this because of what we would have to give up to make it happen, but Clowney is the one defensive player I would not be mad at Emery for mortgaging the future for. Super bowl or bust with the offense we have right now. Lets fix this defense.
I think if Clowney starters to drop to say somewhere around 8 or so, then you look to make a move for him.

Liked Posts:
I just think he would excel at RE in the 3-4, I think that position plays to his strengths.

I'm not saying he wouldn't, I'm saying his size & skillset would allow him to also play some OLB in a defense that's going to have some holes in it next season no matter what system the Bears run, & they're going to need some defenders with multiple roles. At least in the first season of a rebuilt defense.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I would love to have Clowney but giving up picks is the exact opposite of what we need to do this draft with how many holes we need to fill.

If anything we need to trade down and pick up more picks.

Liked Posts:
I would love to have Clowney but giving up picks is the exact opposite of what we need to do this draft with how many holes we need to fill.

If anything we need to trade down and pick up more picks.

I wholeheartedly agree, at least with the not trading up part, trading down would depend on what happens in free agency for me. I wanted Clowney as much as anyone until this season. There's just too much talent coming out of the top 3 rounds of the draft to give up that many picks when the entire defense needs a rebuild, for one player with question marks that Clowney has. Look at all of the teams willing to trade down with the top picks in recent years, like the Texans are rumored to be willing to do this year, there's a reason for that, there's more talent than ever coming out of the draft, don't give a chance at that away for a player that many believe to have some big time question marks.

I remember when Clowney ran his 4.64/40 & I went ape shit to get him, but he seemed to look more like an over rated punk this past year more than anything else. I, hope the Bears stay away.

D-Fresh3

Liked Posts:
I'm not saying he wouldn't, I'm saying his size & skillset would allow him to also play some OLB in a defense that's going to have some holes in it next season no matter what system the Bears run, & they're going to need some defenders with multiple roles. At least in the first season of a rebuilt defense.

Thoroughly agreed

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
What don't you like about it? At the start of the 2013 season I was against it myself, but now that it's clearly obvious the entire defense needs a facelift, just what or who is it that you see as being worthwhile to rebuild another 4-3 around? Bostic? The same MLB that's already being talked about for a move to another LB position? I've seen you post in the past the 3-4 is weak against the run, & that's just a plain false generalization, if a team builds one correctly.

I'd like to see a hybrid myself which by formation is still really a 4-3 under, but since they really need to start from scratch anyway, if the Bears can put a good 3-4 defense on the field & decide to do so, I'm fine with it at this point.

Yes, I second the notion of hybrid defenses. Pats have been successful for years doing that.

patg006

Liked Posts:

Problem with this idea is that you're sacrificing opportunities to fix multiple positions for the sake of 1. Look at the Falcons back in 2011. Mortgaged their picks to move up to 6 from 26 and take Julio Jones. They ignored many holes on defense that even today they still have.

Oh and the Rams' asking price will be lofty. Two 1st round picks plus more expensive.

ATL look like geniuses because Cleveland ended up with Greg Little and a FB who's no longer in the league after trading out of the 27 (turned into 26 pick after the Carimi/Baltimore trade fiasco) to move up to get Phil Taylor at 21, who I guarantee in that scenario would NOT have been there at 27.

It takes 2 teams to trade and the Rams will know they have the best QB or pass rusher at their disposal to bargain with. They have the upper hand. This aint Madden where you can half-ass a trade and get away with it after turning trade difficulty on 'easy.'.

Second--Some of you meatballs are down on Roberto Garza, citing that the bears should just get rid of him. Do you know what he did last year? He was rated by profootballfocus as the #4 pass blocking OC in the NFL behind Eric Wood, Dom Raiola, and Scott Wells. Gave up 0 sacks and 13 pressures in 630 Bears offensive pass plays (I have the table image of 2013 OC saved, not the URL I cant figure out how to insert it).

He's also the signal caller on the offense.

So to assume "oh just get rid of him because he's old" is a bad idea that's a lot harder than it sounds for the fan that just looks . He sucks in power run blocking against guys bigger than him. But you know how to fix that? Dont run behind the center all the damn time. He wasn't even the worst run blocker on the line. Behind the OC/OG, bears averaged 3.6 YPC. Off the RT the bears averaged 2.3 YPC according to Football Outsiders (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol)

Finally the mock draft. I'm a firm believer of building the trenches, because the game is won and lost there. I'd love a DLine like Cincinnati Bengals, so disruptive and aggressive that the bears don't need all pros at LB or Safety positions. We aren't going to see a #54 anytime soon, he's a 1 in a generation player. I expect 1 DE and 1 Safety to get picked up in free agency while Ratliff and Wootten get resigned.

I'm content with

1) Nix or Hageman--DT

2) Purifoy, Varrett, Roby, or Roberson CB

3) Trevor Reilly DE Utah

4) Ahmad Dixon S Baylor

5-7: Best players available.

patg006

Liked Posts:
Second--Some of you meatballs are down on Roberto Garza, citing that the bears should just get rid of him. Do you know what he did last year? He was rated by profootballfocus as the #4 pass blocking OC in the NFL behind Eric Wood, Dom Raiola, and Scott Wells. Gave up 0 sacks and 13 pressures in 630 Bears offensive pass plays (I have the table image of 2013 OC saved, not the URL I cant figure out how to insert it).

2uh5vmf.jpg

TezMaKai

Liked Posts:
Problem with this idea is that you're sacrificing opportunities to fix multiple positions for the sake of 1. Look at the Falcons back in 2011. Mortgaged their picks to move up to 6 from 26 and take Julio Jones. They ignored many holes on defense that even today they still have.

Oh and the Rams' asking price will be lofty. Two 1st round picks plus more expensive.

ATL look like geniuses because Cleveland ended up with Greg Little and a FB who's no longer in the league after trading out of the 27 (turned into 26 pick after the Carimi/Baltimore trade fiasco) to move up to get Phil Taylor at 21, who I guarantee in that scenario would NOT have been there at 27.

It takes 2 teams to trade and the Rams will know they have the best QB or pass rusher at their disposal to bargain with. They have the upper hand. This aint Madden where you can half-ass a trade and get away with it after turning trade difficulty on 'easy.'.

He's also the signal caller on the offense.

So to assume "oh just get rid of him because he's old" is a bad idea that's a lot harder than it sounds for the fan that just looks . He sucks in power run blocking against guys bigger than him. But you know how to fix that? Dont run behind the center all the damn time. He wasn't even the worst run blocker on the line. Behind the OC/OG, bears averaged 3.6 YPC. Off the RT the bears averaged 2.3 YPC according to Football Outsiders (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol)

Finally the mock draft. I'm a firm believer of building the trenches, because the game is won and lost there. I'd love a DLine like Cincinnati Bengals, so disruptive and aggressive that the bears don't need all pros at LB or Safety positions. We aren't going to see a #54 anytime soon, he's a 1 in a generation player. I expect 1 DE and 1 Safety to get picked up in free agency while Ratliff and Wootten get resigned.

I'm content with

1) Nix or Hageman--DT

2) Purifoy, Varrett, Roby, or Roberson CB

3) Trevor Reilly DE Utah

4) Ahmad Dixon S Baylor

5-7: Best players available.

My only real gripe against Roberto Garza is the fact that his low snaps come at the worst possible times. Other than that, I view him as a servicable center. I think his run blocking could stand to improve, espescially on 3rd/4th and 1 situations. You say not to run behind center in these situations, but it's football 101 to do so in these situations. On 4th and 1 you need your center to get a block. It would be stupd to call an outside run on 4th and inches, but that's what we've had to do this season (Matt Forte's run against Green Bay comes to mind immediately; The Packers had him in the backfield and was dead to rights but he wiggled free.)

As for your point on building from the trenches to improve the defense, I couldn't agree more. I've gone back and forth between wanting Mosley, Clinton-Dix and one of the Defensive tackles. I'd be really happy with Stephon Tuitt, Louis Nix or Hangerman. I'm not so sure we'll have the cap room to get one of the premier pass rushers that will come available in free agency unfortunately.

patg006

Liked Posts:
My only real gripe against Roberto Garza is the fact that his low snaps come at the worst possible times. Other than that, I view him as a servicable center. I think his run blocking could stand to improve, espescially on 3rd/4th and 1 situations. You say not to run behind center in these situations, but it's football 101 to do so in these situations. On 4th and 1 you need your center to get a block. It would be stupd to call an outside run on 4th and inches, but that's what we've had to do this season (Matt Forte's run against Green Bay comes to mind immediately; The Packers had him in the backfield and was dead to rights but he wiggled free.)

As for your point on building from the trenches to improve the defense, I couldn't agree more. I've gone back and forth between wanting Mosley, Clinton-Dix and one of the Defensive tackles. I'd be really happy with Stephon Tuitt, Louis Nix or Hangerman. I'm not so sure we'll have the cap room to get one of the premier pass rushers that will come available in free agency unfortunately.

Low snaps at bad times are on the QB and C, and its pretty fixable. Because I recall some of them. Nothing you can really do when you're the away team, the defense is barking out QB calls trying to get OLinemen to slip up, and that one drive killer happens.

Also, Forte isn't really a 'between the tackles' runner. He's dynamite outside the tackles or off the tackles, and we love it when he's in the open field. Also its football 101 for the defense on these situations to stack the hell out of the G-C-G combo. It should be corrected, it can be.

I like Clinton-Dix. I think he's like a Mark Barron, Vaccaro, Berry, or Earl Thomas like player talent wise coming out. I think he would put safety woes to rest, and make a lot better players Wright/Conte would. That being said, behind this DLine and the lack of pressure they got in 2013, Ed Reed and Rod Woodson in their primes would have gotten exposed. You cant allow 5-7 second pockets. Period.

I could go either way, if they take Clinton-Dix I feel confident we got a 10 year foundation player to a position we won't need to worry about unless he gets hurt or become a dick contractually.

Then again, Clinton-Dix is fucked if the Bears still cant get to the QB, and he'll miss reads and coverages the way Wright and Conte do. He'll probably miss some tackles too.