Bears Cap Allocation: Offense

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

QB: Dalton [5], Fields [3.5], Foles [6.6]
RB: Monty [1.1], Cohen [3.3], Williams [1.1], Herbet [.7]
WR: Robinson [18], Mooney [.9], Miller [1.7], Goodwin [1], Byrd [1], Newsome [.7]
TE: Kmet [1.7], Graham [10], Holtz [.9]
LT: Jenkins [1.8], Wilkerson [1]
LG: Whitehair [5.2]
C: Mustipher [.8], Eiselen [.7]
RG: Daniels [3], Bars [.9]
RT: Ifedi [2.8], Borom [.7]

Massie [3.9]
Leno [2.3]
Burton [1.8]

82.1 million

QB: Fields [5]
RB: Monty [1.2], Cohen [5.7], Herbet [.8]
WR: Mooney [1], Newsome [.8]
TE: Kmet [2]
LT: Jenkins [2]
LG: Whitehair [12.3]
C: Eiselen [.7]
RG:
RT: Borom [.8]

Foles [7.7]
Dalton [5]
Williams [.4]
Ifedi [1.5]

46.9 million

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Some Thoughts

-How the hell are we still paying for that Burton contract
-Trading Foles would be a massive boon, but probably won't happen
-It will be interesting to see how Cohen bounces back as his cap hit jumps after this year

-Tons of money is about to be spent on the O, they literally have pennies there in 2022.
-I think it is not as bad as it looks in 2022 as you have a chance to rebuild the offense for Fields

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
Some Thoughts

-How the hell are we still paying for that Burton contract
-It will be interesting to see how Cohen bounces back as his cap hit jumps after this year

-Tons of money is about to be spent on the O, they literally have pennies there in 2022.
-I think it is not as bad as it looks in 2022 as you have a chance to rebuild the offense for Fields
Don't they only have like $40 million in cap next year? Undoubtedly some of that will go to defense and extensions

Huxster

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Jets are thin on the ground, but not wanting to wish ill on anyone, but there is always injuries in training camp, someone somewhere will need an experienced QB

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
2022 is even lower than I thought. Once they dump Foles, it'll be under $40 mill. They will need some bodies but a lot of options opening up in 22.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Ifedi is on a one year deal so don't let any false confidence fool anyone. Depending on how well both Jenkins and Ifedi play we may be investing in either a RT or a LT next year and that won't be cheap. I think Borom may be an interior guy but we will see, but I certainly wouldn't automatically pencil him in at RT next year.

Robinson will not be easily replaced but we will probably need to invest some money in the WR position without a 1st round pick. Maybe just maybe Fields and ARob click and he will sign with the Bears.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
The only guy on the roster that you cannot expect to earn his pay is Foles. Say what you want about Graham's contract, but as long as he can catch TDs and shake a LB on third down, he's got a shot to live up to that money.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
2022 is even lower than I thought. Once they dump Foles, it'll be under $40 mill. They will need some bodies but a lot of options opening up in 22.
That is what Foles costs when they dump him. He is on the books next year for 7 million.

Only way he is off the books in 2022 is a trade.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Don't they only have like $40 million in cap next year? Undoubtedly some of that will go to defense and extensions
They have about 50 million once they cut the obvious dudes.

They are going to have to find a way to get cheaper on defense that is for sure.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
5.7 million is waay too much for Cohen
Cohen seems to get quite a bit of criticism around here, but I think he is a good player with a unique skill set who has suffered from some bad playcalling.

1000 combined yards from scrimmage is a reasonable goal at a reasonable price, for a player that can contribute in the running game, passing game, who presents a matchup problem on 3rd down in the short to intermediate passing game with good punt return skills.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If I'm Pace, I might give a 7th to some cap rich team to take Foles

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That is what Foles costs when they dump him. He is on the books next year for 7 million.

Only way he is off the books in 2022 is a trade.
I still think that's gonna happen. The Jets would be even more foolish that they normally are if they don't get a veteran QB behind Wilson. They got cap space and a ton of picks....Foles would be perfect for them. Bears would be happy with a 7th to get out from underneath that contract.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I still think that's gonna happen. The Jets would be even more foolish that they normally are if they don't get a veteran QB behind Wilson. They got cap space and a ton of picks....Foles would be perfect for them. Bears would be happy with a 7th to get out from underneath that contract.
Jets fans actually want Foles. They are definitely going to add a veteran before training camp. I just hope it's Foles instead of a guy like Minshew, who isn't really a veteran but has experience and can also probably be had for little draft capital and a MUCH cheaper contract.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If I'm Pace, I might give a 7th to some cap rich team to take Foles
I would as well.

It is the difference between saving 8 million and 3 million.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
What if he tanks it again?

They had a deal with Philly that he torpedoed.

Maybe he is done actually playing football and just wants to cash his checks and be a coach with a helmet. I think the Bears announcing him as the #3 was way of trying to nudge him towards the door.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:

QB: Dalton [5], Fields [3.5], Foles [6.6]
RB: Monty [1.1], Cohen [3.3], Williams [1.1], Herbet [.7]
WR: Robinson [18], Mooney [.9], Miller [1.7], Goodwin [1], Byrd [1], Newsome [.7]
TE: Kmet [1.7], Graham [10], Holtz [.9]
LT: Jenkins [1.8], Wilkerson [1]
LG: Whitehair [5.2]
C: Mustipher [.8], Eiselen [.7]
RG: Daniels [3], Bars [.9]
RT: Ifedi [2.8], Borom [.7]

Massie [3.9]
Leno [2.3]
Burton [1.8]

82.1 million

QB: Fields [5]
RB: Monty [1.2], Cohen [5.7], Herbet [.8]
WR: Mooney [1], Newsome [.8]
TE: Kmet [2]
LT: Jenkins [2]
LG: Whitehair [12.3]
C: Eiselen [.7]
RG:
RT: Borom [.8]

Foles [7.7]
Dalton [5]
Williams [.4]
Ifedi [1.5]

46.9 million
Thing that stands out to me...... look how much money is going to backups. Dalton- 5, Foles 6.6, Cohen 3.3, Graham 10. Throw in the dead space for the guys not here and the Bears are not only spending the 7th lowest on offense in the league, but 33 of the 82Mil is being paid to guys who are going to make a difference in taking this team from the 29th ranked offense to where they need to be. Effectively, they are spending 49M on offense. While it's good that they are building the offense thru the draft, this looks really bad when you have neither the cap space to balance out the spending nor the draft picks to go full youth movement on the offensive side.

To balance the spending in 2022, it looks like they'd need to spend all 50M in cap space on offense, specifically WR, OG and OT because I don't want any more 5-10Mil backups. But then you'd have a still expensive defense that hasn't replaced Hicks, Quinn, and still Fuller.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Thing that stands out to me...... look how much money is going to backups. Dalton- 5, Foles 6.6, Cohen 3.3, Graham 10. Throw in the dead space for the guys not here and the Bears are not only spending the 7th lowest on offense in the league, but 33 of the 82Mil is being paid to guys who are going to make a difference in taking this team from the 29th ranked offense to where they need to be. Effectively, they are spending 49M on offense. While it's good that they are building the offense thru the draft, this looks really bad when you have neither the cap space to balance out the spending nor the draft picks to go full youth movement on the offensive side.

To balance the spending in 2022, it looks like they'd need to spend all 50M in cap space on offense, specifically WR, OG and OT because I don't want any more 5-10Mil backups. But then you'd have a still expensive defense that hasn't replaced Hicks, Quinn, and still Fuller.
There is some clean up that needs to be done and they have too much dead money from the 19-20 Pace desperation moves.

2023 they should be clear of all of it.