Bears Cap space updated

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I was told the lower cap should be an advantage for the Bears because other teams wouldn't be able to sign good players - I guess Pace used it all on Dalton.

?
"If I told you wolverines make good house pets, would you believe it?"

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Still some work to do if the Bears seriously want to add Morgan Moses and/or a CB such as Breeland. A surprise ARob signing would save the day, but I don't see that happening. Other than that, we're looking at converting salary to bonuses for guys like Graham and/or Quinn. Both would push money into the future. Graham in the way of voidable years. Quinn would push more money to future caps when/if he's a June 1 cut next year.

Would kind of be an all-in type move to move Graham and Quinn money around. While I would hate the impact on future year cap space, I wonder if it would mean they really saw something in rookie camp that they liked and makes them think Fields can lead them to a real run ASAP.

Brandon Marshall

Liked Posts:
It still costs money to cut Dalton

7.5 million of Dalton's money is signing bonus so that all would hit the cap. His cap hit would go from 5 to 7.5 million.

Foles contract is worse, but it is like the difference between a punch in the face and a punch in the balls.
I didn't want to start a separate thread about this, but could Dalton be a similar situation to Mike Davis where cutting him mid-season gets us back a compensatory pick?

In the scenario that Fields has taken over the starting job and Foles was unable to be traded, do we gain a compensation pick by cutting Dalton? At that point you might as well just roll with Foles as the backup and pray you never need him

Toast88

Liked Posts:
I didn't want to start a separate thread about this, but could Dalton be a similar situation to Mike Davis where cutting him mid-season gets us back a compensatory pick?
EDIT: Well, apparently this loophole was closed. Never mind.
———
Yes. The Bears would likely get a 5th round comp pick, but would still incur a couple mil in dead cap hit. That number's not fatal, obviously, but how valuable is a 5th round comp pick to you?

Last edited:

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

In the scenario that Fields has taken over the starting job and Foles was unable to be traded, do we gain a compensation pick by cutting Dalton? At that point you might as well just roll with Foles as the backup and pray you never need him
That loophole was closed. If they are on the roster week 1 they count against the comp picks.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Wow!! Leno's cap situation was way more different than I thought. At 6 mil savings with a 5 mil cap hit it didn't make as much sense to move off him so quickly.

Saving 9 mil with only a 2 mil dead cap hit drastically changes the situation. It was a no brainer.

We actually have more cap room to work with than what was generally thought. Not sure why anyone is complaining.

I say cut Jimmy Graham and trade our 2nd for Julio and go all in!

Brandon Marshall

Liked Posts:
That loophole was closed. If they are on the roster week 1 they count against the comp picks.
Well then that ends any thoughts about potentially pulling that move. Hopefully some team just throws a 7th for Foles or something