Bears-Chiefs Thoughts

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
-7 passing yards in the 1st half by the "starters"

That's about all that needs to be said imo.

does this team actually have to take a look at Khari Lee in an actual NFL game as a starter before Pace can let that one go?

I can just see him in planning rooms.. "I don't think we need another TE we have Khari Lee, let me find a real cut rate blocker with injury problems and Khari will be ready to step up when he gets the chance."

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Agreed. Alshon had that "no fucks given" vibe all game. The drop was horrendous, what was even worse was Miller's commentary of it acting as though it was a difficult catch. His "drop" of the low and outside throw by Cutler was marginal, that's a crazy tough catch and arguably a ball that shouldn't have been thrown but go back and look at the play, Jeffery's route is fucking horrible and he's clearly jogging on it and not giving a shit.

AJ also had a false start that Thayer pointed out was clearly lack of concentration.

SweetHomeChicago

I have a Senior Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
What do you guys think is the probability that this team can fix itself for the regular season opener? Is it at all possible key vet are "dogging it"?

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
What do you guys think is the probability that this team can fix itself for the regular season opener? Is it at all possible key vet are "dogging it"?

No.

Can't be fixed. The team lacks talent - talent from a depth standpoint and talent from a difference makers standpoint.

When you look at the best teams in the league, there are always difference makers.

Look as the last two SBs.

Carolina - Cam, Kuechly, Davis. Denver - Manning, Miller, Talib, Ward, Wolfe. Difference makers.

Seattle - Sherman, Wilson, Lynch. NE - Brady, Gronk, Revis. Difference makers.

Teams that always seem to be in the playoff mix - GB (Rodgers, Nelson), Pitt (Big Ben, Pouncey), Denver, NE, Cinci, Arizona, KC. All have difference makers on the roster.

The Bears have none. Nada. Zilch.

Would like to see some emerge, but as of now, none.

It's like the NBA - without a superstar/MVP candidate, you won't win a title. Without difference makers in the NFL, you won't either.

We are looking at a 6 win team. And that's IF they stay healthy!

SweetHomeChicago

I have a Senior Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
No.

Can't be fixed. The team lacks talent - talent from a depth standpoint and talent from a difference makers standpoint.

When you look at the best teams in the league, there are always difference makers.

Carolina - Cam, Kuechly, Davis. Denver - Manning, Miller, Talib, Ward, Wolfe. Difference makers.

Teams that always seem to be in the playoff mix - GB (Rodgers, Nelson), Pitt (Big Ben, Pouncey), Denver, NE, Cinci, Arizona, KC. All have difference makers on the roster.

It's like the NBA - without a superstar/MVP candidate, you won't win a title. Without difference makers in the NFL, you won't either.

Well fuck it. Supposed to be a good QB draft next year right?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
No.

Thats exactly what I think, but I don't think we should be blaming Emery (who did well enough from a talent per draft stand point) or Fox/Fangio unless they are part of the personel decisions.

Right now I'm blaming Pace because the problems we had were absolutely fixable with the choices we were given in the draft, and Free agency, and being aggressive to fix the problems with trades and what not.

pace is responsible for the roster, and this roster is a shit show with excessive depth in 4-5 areas, and completely ignoring 4-5 areas of extreme need.

Pace is fucked. Fucked up. Isn't ready, whatever. And now we are fucked because of it. Fangio is fucked because of it. Fox is fucked because of it.

We are all held hostage to watching a 4-12 shit show of failure and incompetence.

DWBear

Liked Posts:
I'm not going to waste my time with specific thoughts on the game, because it just causes angst with the CCS posters and then I'm lectured by people who say that the preseason is just like the pro bowl.

Everything I said prior to the Chiefs game came to fruition...Fox's OC choice was/is no different than Lovie's OC merry-go-round, with the added caveat that Loggains was "Cutler's guy", much like Jeremy Bates. Bears picked up zero impact players through FA. Lack of talent at the skill positions is a problem. Bears secondary is a mess and should have been addressed during the FA period. But we all can see this with our own eyes, so there is no sense in discussing this.

Here are three thoughts that haven't really been brought up by the media (to my knowledge):

1) Dowell Loggains isn't really the problem. The offense is going to suck this year. Much will be made about the regression of going from Gase at OC to Loggains at OC. I thought a well-connected HC like Fox should have made a stronger hire at the OC position, but regardless the Bears are really lacking talent on offense. The OL is still a disaster. Langford has distinguished himself at RB because the other two RBs are completely unimpressive. TE is not good. Kevin White has mastered the 3-yard catch (perhaps Eddie Royal is mentoring him). Cutler is still around. And the "don't ask, don't tell" aspect is that there is a very high chance that Alshon Jeffery will not be a Bear in 2017.

2) Even the best of the Bears' young players will have 'growing pains'. I think Goldman is nearly a finished product. He is very good. I like what I see in Whitehair and Bullard, but they are going to be 'tricked' by NFL vets their rookie years. Floyd and White will have learning curves despite their physical talent. Basically, other than Goldman, who has a full year of starting under his belt, I see all of the other young players of the Bears as being liabilities in some sense. None of them have surpassing physical ability or a 'maturity greater than their years'.

3) The veterans on the Bears, including the offseason FA signings, just aren't that "good". With so many young players, the Bears need the veterans to make plays. They don't appear to have that ability. Freeman, Trevathan & Hicks all look to be competent NFL starters, which is an improvement, but none of them appear to be 'impact players'. Massie and Larsen are nominal starters. Tracy Porter is surprisingly back. For all the talk about the Bears' revamped defense, I think its a bad sign when Willie Young is still your biggest playmaker.

Damn, Rory! Cut it out! Every time I try to right you off as a complete contrarian Bozo, you keep writing these AMAZING thoughts about the games. I don't know if you are schizophrenic or a master troller, but well written. I can't really argue with anything that you have written.

Bort

Liked Posts:
The worst thing about the other day was that I walked away from the 3rd preseason game "the dress rehearsal" with virtually no take aways other than two. It was such a bland uninspiring performance. As much as nothing really went "right" not a ton went "wrong" either. It was just a listless pointless game.

Two takeways:

-Deiondre Hall looked great in the 1st half against starters. Against backups he looked like a rookie. Not sure if it was concentration or focus issues and mentally letting up or what but pretty confusing.

-The Connor Shaw injury really sucks.

Other than that....I got nothing else for this game.

?!

Cq4uPT8WAAAVlsk.jpg

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
My thought (only one) of the game: It's the preseason and means nothing.

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
Well fuck it. Supposed to be a good QB draft next year right?

I'm just very glad I'm a Hawks and Cubs fan. And that my three sons start their own hockey seasons in two weeks.

It's like spraying Febreeze on a steaming turd. Will provide sports positivity whilst we watch the Bears suck.

The World Cup of Hockey will be a nice elixir.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
This was my first game I completely watched this preseason. The first team offense looks dreadful.

Ej63090

Anti-Exultant Cruise Dire
Liked Posts:
No.

So you are saying we need a top 5 QB or a historically great defense?

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
My thoughts: "Wow this team is worse than I thought (which is saying a lot)... No way am I drafting any players from this dogshit team for fantasy this year".

Milton Waddams

Liked Posts:
What's with Jeffery lining up offsides or nearly offsides so often? He did a blatant one last year @ GB, and got called for the penalty. He's does it a lot.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
8-8 or 9-7 Bears will go.

Quote me, pussies.

Bears were 0-4 in preseason in '11 averaging 11 pts on O.

They went 11-5.

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
So you are saying we need a top 5 QB or a historically great defense?

No. I'm saying the Bears need difference makers. I just happened to use the last 4 SB teams as an example.

But yes, better have a great defense - not necessarily historically great - or a top tier QB to win in this league. It's been the pattern for the last 10 plus years. Differ always comes up but that was a historically good D. Flacco isn't top 5, but played with an amazing D and played mistake free football at the right team (something Cutler can't do). Eli isn't Elite but he stepped up when it matter - and was the beneficiary of some amazing luck.

So, to win a SB in today's NFL, yes, you need a great D - Seattle, Baltimore, Denver - or have a top 5 QB (Cam, Brady, Peyton) or have one who can play like a top 5 QB (Wilson).

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
Agreed. Alshon had that "no fucks given" vibe all game. The drop was horrendous, what was even worse was Miller's commentary of it acting as though it was a difficult catch. His "drop" of the low and outside throw by Cutler was marginal, that's a crazy tough catch and arguably a ball that shouldn't have been thrown but go back and look at the play, Jeffery's route is fucking horrible and he's clearly jogging on it and not giving a shit.

Agreed. They had a stat that it was 4 drops that day. Insane. Cutler had to be going out of his fucking mind seeing that shit. Especially when white dropped that pass. Thought he was going to go j Webb style on him. Best not happen in a reg season game, shit gonna get real