Bears Current Cap Situation

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Having the money and signing the premiere free agents is far from a lock.

I was talking to a Colts fan buddy of mine and they are not expecting fireworks once everyone has been franchise tagged.

Sure, not saying they will but they can. I'd bet they are going to have a nice window for the next few years no matter what specific moves they make this offseason. I'm thinking they will be one of the more active teams, though.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Reading comprehension is tough for you.

No problem at all... Just gave you two quick examples from last season that don’t mesh with your assertion...

The reading comprehension comment is ironic considering what you wrote.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Would you prefer Nelson and Leonard to Smith and Daniels for the long haul?

Leonard has the same ceiling as Smith at this point, both potentially will be perennial Pro-Bowlers. Daniels has promise but he's still a couple notches below Nelson. If Nelson stays healthy, he's in the HOF. Don't know if I could say the same as Daniels.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Having the money and signing the premiere free agents is far from a lock.

True. I remember wanting the Bears to go after Stephon Gilmore a couple years ago in FA. They had the cap space, but Pace wasted his money that year on a slew of horrendous signings...Mike Glennon, Quinton Demps, Marcus Cooper, Markus Wheaton, Dion Sims.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
True. I remember wanting the Bears to go after Stephon Gilmore a couple years ago in FA. They had the cap space, but Pace wasted his money that year on a slew of horrendous signings...Mike Glennon, Quinton Demps, Marcus Cooper, Markus Wheaton, Dion Sims.

It was reported that Pace made Gilmore a strong offer. Who could blame him for choosing the Pats? It’s interesting that Gilmore and Fuller were both first team All Pro in 2018.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears

It was widely reported the Bears did pursue Stephon Gilmore as they did AJ Bouye and Malcom Butler. I remember Bouye was quoted as saying Bears offered him the most.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
It was widely reported the Bears did pursue Stephon Gilmore as they did AJ Bouye and Malcom Butler. I remember Bouye was quoted as saying Bears offered him the most.

This has been reported by everyone

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:

Who was the guy who said something like he was 'insulted' with Pace's offer? Anyway, I should have said "wanting the Bears to sign" instead of "wanting the Bears to go after". It doesn't take much to 'go after' a free agent...just ask GarPax.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Who was the guy who said something like he was 'insulted' with Pace's offer? Anyway, I should have said "wanting the Bears to sign" instead of "wanting the Bears to go after". It doesn't take much to 'go after' a free agent...just ask GarPax.

Touché.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
About Gilmore in today’s Sun Times...

“In an alternate universe, he would have been home with the Bears.

In March 2017, the Bears thought they were close to signing Gilmore as a free agent. He wound up in New England instead, signing a five-year, $65 million deal with an $18 million signing bonus.

Despite an uneven two seasons — he posted two interceptions in each season — it turned out to be the right decision. “I wanted to come here,” Gilmore said. “I heard about it. I heard about how hard they work and how dedicated they were. I wanted to be a part of it. I wanted to come in and put my head down and work hard and help as much as I can.”

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/stephon-gilmore-who-had-patriots-game-changing-pick-was-almost-a-bears-cb/

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
About Gilmore in today’s Sun Times...

“In an alternate universe, he would have been home with the Bears.

In March 2017, the Bears thought they were close to signing Gilmore as a free agent. He wound up in New England instead, signing a five-year, $65 million deal with an $18 million signing bonus.

Despite an uneven two seasons — he posted two interceptions in each season — it turned out to be the right decision. “I wanted to come here,” Gilmore said. “I heard about it. I heard about how hard they work and how dedicated they were. I wanted to be a part of it. I wanted to come in and put my head down and work hard and help as much as I can.”

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/stephon-gilmore-who-had-patriots-game-changing-pick-was-almost-a-bears-cb/

LOL at whomever wrote that crap. Who in their right mind could describe Gilmore's two years New England as "uneven"? Sometimes I think CCS is a bit too myopic when it comes to general NFL stuff, but apparently the Sun Times stopped following the NFL after 1985.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
LOL at whomever wrote that crap. Who in their right mind could describe Gilmore's two years New England as "uneven"? Sometimes I think CCS is a bit too myopic when it comes to general NFL stuff, but apparently the Sun Times stopped following the NFL after 1985.

He struggled early in his first year with the Pats.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
He struggled early in his first year with the Pats.

That's nice. He was great for the majority of 2017, and All Pro this year. I liked the reference to "two interceptions each season", as if posting the same total each year is somehow indicative of "uneveness".

You can't defend this crap.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
That's nice. He was great for the majority of 2017, and All Pro this year. I liked the reference to "two interceptions each season", as if posting the same total each year is somehow indicative of "uneveness".

You can't defend this crap.

I’m not defending it but he struggled early and faced some harsh criticism in 2017. He played better later in the season. This year he was first team All Pro. Call it whatever suits you.