BEARs D Elite or Great ?

SERE Bear

Drinking da Bears better
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes elite, and they are in the team pitcure for all time Ds.

It is much harder to play defense at the level they are in 2018 because of the rule changes that favor the Offense so greatly. Did Mongo or Dent have to worry about where to hit the QB? These days WRs know that they are safe going across the middle because chances are that any big hit will lead to a flag regardless of helmet to helmet or not.

The fact that this D is so stifling with todays rules is impressive and should be part of the conversation.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
They are a top 5 defense......not in the picture of greatest D of all time , but top 5 this year....comparing to this year, they are elite...in the history of the NFL not one of the best.

SERE Bear

Drinking da Bears better
Donator
Liked Posts:
They are a top 5 defense......not in the picture of greatest D of all time , but top 5 this year....comparing to this year, they are elite...in the history of the NFL not one of the best.

Stop fucking with my kool aid

BradyJay

Liked Posts:
I would say they are great and on the fringe of elite...elite happens when you do it when it matters most(post season) imo..

Payton_34

Seattle Bears Fan
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
The team is definitely hitting their stride. Yes, they have great coaching, scheme and players on Defense. Yes they added talent on Offense and have a bright young coach who's aggressive, innovative and has been able to develop Trubs and get him comfortable with the plays.

One thing that's overlooked is how Nagy has the whole team on the same page. They work hard and are enjoying the process. Not one "locker room cancer" on the team. I would not be totally surprised to see the Bears win the SB. I can't believe it's actually a possibility this year. They could also lose in the 2nd round but it won't be because the team gave up. These guys are ALL IN. The culture has been reinvented at Halas Hall and it's contagious.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Good news is that there does not seem to be any D v O mentality....Nagy has stressed that if one side falters they other side picks it up. I see more D doing the heavy lifting, but I think that is to be expected in the first year of an offense.

Good news for the offense is that they are taking advantage of the turnovers provided by the defense.....also the offense, while not overly consistent, has been good when it needed to.

msadows

Liked Posts:

Actually, agree to disagree.

This is a different NFL. Every team, I mean EVERY, scores points. Shutouts are rare as fuck. The Bears are as close to elite as you will find in the modern NFL.

People lauded the 2013 Seahawks team that won the superbowl with an D everyone considered elite. We are giving up 19PPG, they gave up just over 14. Their defensive DVOA however was -25.9. Ours is -25.6. Very comparable.

In comparison, the 2006 Bears unit was -20.1%. 2005 Bears? -19.4%. The 2000 Ravens D was a -24.00%. Unfortunately it doesn't go back to 85, with 86 being the earliest year for recorded DVOA at football outsiders, the 86 bears had a -33.6%.

Yes, if you ask me if the bears D is elite, they very much are. The next closest team to them in DVOA this year are the Ravens at -12.9%. We more than double their defensive metric.

This is literally in conversation for one of the most elite defensive units that have been fielded in this century. If this D was playing in a different generation, they would end up feasting on quarterbacks and snacking on receivers.

However, only way they will be considered elite by the masses is if they win it all unfortunately.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Colts shut out the Cowboys. Their defense is better than ours.....

msadows

Liked Posts:
Colts shut out the Cowboys. Their defense is better than ours.....

lol. no.

If by better you mean worse in every statistical category, then yes, they are better at being worse than the bears D.

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think the stats for the D are going to get padded against the 9ers and ViQueens....especially if Minnesota is somehow out of contention for a wildcard.

The PlayOffs are going to determine just how good this D is

wazzupi

Liked Posts:

What ?

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
everyone is great except Mack. Mack lacks the warrior spirit apparently

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
They are elite in comparison to other teams this year. They are not elite when compared to other defenses in history.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
Actually, agree to disagree.

This is a different NFL. Every team, I mean EVERY, scores points. Shutouts are rare as fuck. The Bears are as close to elite as you will find in the modern NFL.

People lauded the 2013 Seahawks team that won the superbowl with an D everyone considered elite. We are giving up 19PPG, they gave up just over 14. Their defensive DVOA however was -25.9. Ours is -25.6. Very comparable.

In comparison, the 2006 Bears unit was -20.1%. 2005 Bears? -19.4%. The 2000 Ravens D was a -24.00%. Unfortunately it doesn't go back to 85, with 86 being the earliest year for recorded DVOA at football outsiders, the 86 bears had a -33.6%.

Yes, if you ask me if the bears D is elite, they very much are. The next closest team to them in DVOA this year are the Ravens at -12.9%. We more than double their defensive metric.

This is literally in conversation for one of the most elite defensive units that have been fielded in this century. If this D was playing in a different generation, they would end up feasting on quarterbacks and snacking on receivers.

However, only way they will be considered elite by the masses is if they win it all unfortunately.
This...….The Bears are in the top 10 of every defensive category so far this year. The last team to do this was that Seahawks Legion Of Boom 2013 defense.

Bears_804

Liked Posts:
It’s hard to judge them due to consistency. They’ve been elite vs top teams and given up too much to lesser teams.

I’d throw them into the elite category, which is pretty consensus. Their only real knock has been playing elite for 4 qtrs at times.

Rob Noxious

Liked Posts:
They are one of the best of all time. They are able to control a game, while practicing restraint, for the protection issues in the new nfl. Hard to do. I hate to say this. I always said it was the ‘85 Bears, but the ‘85 Bears knew nothing about restraint. When these Bears take us to the promised land, you will see what I’m talking about. Not a question about being elite. There is no defense even close this year. They are the definition of being elite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mecha

Liked Posts:
relative to other teams today, I'd say they're the best defense, and probably best all around team in the league.
in history? no, they're probably not even top 10. but that's mainly because the rule changes have nerfed defense into oblivion. prior to the start of this season with the new tackle rules, it was looking like they almost wouldn't be able to do their jobs, but that topic of discussion faded quick once the regular season started (as many expected, it would be aggressively ruled in preseason and normalize later).

they're not even better than 2006, because 2006 didn't lose to bad teams. Grossman's ineptitude lost the Patriots game, the Dolphins game was more of the same shit that still happens to this team, and they fucked around against the Packers, if you needed a case for this. this team this year should be undefeated, and I don't think I'm alone in saying that. they're beating ass when it counts against the big dogs to prove their worth, I hope they close out this season with 2 more wins.

ChadKelly

Liked Posts:
dislike review 2018.

As a sith, I dont mind the negs at all, but this guy below has exposed himself as a fake or dumb football fan and a fake bears fan. If he does enjoy football, he/she/it must like the queens, pack or cats. the bears negativity is strong in this one

12-21-2018 12:59 PM
Spunky Porkstacker

Thread: BEARs D Elite or Great ?
stick to rating canned weiners

msadows

Liked Posts:
relative to other teams today, I'd say they're the best defense, and probably best all around team in the league.
in history? no, they're probably not even top 10. but that's mainly because the rule changes have nerfed defense into oblivion. prior to the start of this season with the new tackle rules, it was looking like they almost wouldn't be able to do their jobs, but that topic of discussion faded quick once the regular season started (as many expected, it would be aggressively ruled in preseason and normalize later).

they're not even better than 2006, because 2006 didn't lose to bad teams. Grossman's ineptitude lost the Patriots game, the Dolphins game was more of the same shit that still happens to this team, and they fucked around against the Packers, if you needed a case for this. this team this year should be undefeated, and I don't think I'm alone in saying that. they're beating ass when it counts against the big dogs to prove their worth, I hope they close out this season with 2 more wins.

So you're saying they aren't top 10 all time, then say it's because of all the changes to D these past years.

Wouldn't it be even more so impressive what they are doing BECAUSE of all the changes? Thats what DVOA takes into account. You put this defense against the mid 2000's offenses and they would fucking feast. The only weakness to this D against those teams you listed is bad tackling. This wouldn't have been an issue in 2005 when you could actually touch a reciever before the pass and could actually hit a player, much less a quarterback.

This defense will easily go down as one of the top 10 in NFL history, shit, top 5, if they are the reason that this team wins the Superbowl. Book it.