Bears defense and their lack of turnovers.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thoughts are that there aren't enough playmakers on D. Right now, they are getting by on discipline and strong fundamentals. Which is a nice improvement from last year year. And I think its what we expected from a Fox and Fangio team. Its still possible that one of the rooks could develop into a stud, but the bears will still be short on impact players.

Imo, Fangio has this group playing near or maybe a little above their potential. The next hurdle is getting a couple blue chip players on the D roster.

Yep. Since it's looking more and more like we won't be in the first 1-5 picks this year to get Goff, we may go DEF in the first. I'd probably take MLB, and then come back for a QB in the 2nd or target CB/S/OL there.

CRM 114

Premium Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Bears turnovers have been few thus far in 2015.

Packers game 0 turnovers

Arizona game 2 turnovers

Seattle game 0 turnovers

Oakland game 2 turnovers

KC game 0 turnovers.

So the Bears defense has a grand total of 4 takeaways in two games and 0 takeaways in the other 3 games. The Bears defense needs to pick up the pace in that department but will they?

Their pass rush is still closer to non existent than it is a force to be reckon with. If they can start applying pressure on a regular basis, that would go a long way in helping to force turnovers.

The secondary is struggling badly and their ability to make a play on a pass seems unlikely right about now. I can see them having a couple of ducks thrown to them but as far as making a play on a well thrown ball, not so much.

Detroit appears to be a turnover machine right now, as they lead the league in giveaways. Stafford has already tossed 8 INT & it remains to be seen if he starts against the Bears.

They have also fumbled the ball away 6 times. Giving them 15 total giveaways. Which also makes them 1 of only 6 teams to have turned the ball over at least 10 times. (Bears have 7 giveaways/4 INT/ 3 Fumbles)

These teams have less takeways than the Bears do right now and their records

Houston 2 takeaways (1-4)
Jacksonville 3 takeaways (1-4)
Dallas 3 takeways (2-3)
S.F. 3 takeaways (1-4)
Miami 3 takeaways (1-3)

That makes 5 teams/defenses that have less takeaways than the Bears and all of their records reflect that poor number of takeaways.

The Bears have come up with only 2 INT in 5 games, to go along with 2 fumbles. Giving them a grand total of 4 takeaways.

With the way the Lions are playing and the Bears have a little momentum, will that translate to the Bears defense picking up the pace as far as turnovers are concerned this weekend? Hopefully Cutler keeps the turnovers in check this weekend. I expect him to be under constant pressure as usual but I think the turnovers will be the deciding factor in this game. The Bears O-line isn't good enough to allow the Bears offense to go on a high scoring run. So they need to just keep it clean and methodically work towards getting points on the board. While hoping the Bears defense can take advantage of the NFL league leading turnover machine, the Detroit Lions.

I would love to say I expect the Bears to force at least 3 turnovers against Detroit but why do I fear that is unlikely to happen?

Thoughts

Judging by that pattern, it appears we are due for two takeaways next week.

3rd N Long

Liked Posts:
Yep. Since it's looking more and more like we won't be in the first 1-5 picks this year to get Goff, we may go DEF in the first. I'd probably take MLB, and then come back for a QB in the 2nd or target CB/S/OL there.

The Bears should and probably will go with a front 7 defensive player in the 1st round. The only other likely option is O-line. Save maybe a QB but I don't see them going in that direction just yet with how sad this teams overall talent level is. They need to improve that D and O-line before bringing in a high draft pick at the QB position.

3rd N Long

Liked Posts:
Judging by that patter, it appears we are due for two takeaways next week.

It would be nice to see at least 2. It should be a minimum default total against Detroit but we shall see.

CRM 114

Premium Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
It would be nice to see at least 2. It should be a minimum default total against Detroit but we shall see.

I'm thinking we should get three. Stafford is awful. Not to mention Arizona forced 6 yesterday.

3rd N Long

Liked Posts:
I'm thinking we should get three. Stafford is awful. Not to mention Arizona forced 6 yesterday.

How crazy is it to wonder if Stafford will even be the starting QB?

I literally didn't see that coming but it will certainly be one of the most important decisions for this matchup.

Bearman 43

Liked Posts:
D is improving week to week but the secondary is our weak link. No one makes plays on the ball, never turn around and find the ball. They've gotten better but we haven't exactly faced a dynamite receiving corp. If the D-line can keep getting more pressure it will alleviate some of the issues in the secondary. The fact that the safeties aren't getting torched and aren't really noticed, is the best thing of all.

Who the hell is going to cover megatron? It damn sure can't be "i can't turn my head fuller" or there may not be any chance to win that game!

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Who the hell is going to cover megatron? It damn sure can't be "i can't turn my head fuller" or there may not be any chance to win that game!
Tracy

Porter

#believe

3rd N Long

Liked Posts:

Megatron is struggling to be MEGATRON this year. Why shouldn't the Bears defense be expected to hold him in check like the other 5 teams have?

Liked Posts:
Looking for two turnovers in the Detroit game. Porter will get a pick as he is playing lights out right now. McPhee will force a fumble on a sack of Stafford.

CRM 114

Premium Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
How crazy is it to wonder if Stafford will even be the starting QB?

I literally didn't see that coming but it will certainly be one of the most important decisions for this matchup.

I know the Lions weren't going to be as good as last year but I didn't see them being the worst team in the league either.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Would love more turnovers.

But the Bears defense right now is not giving up big plays, and that is how you win in the NFL. Splash plays are great, but they are usually to help off set the big plays against you.

The Pernell McPhee field goal block won't count as a turnover, but it was bigger than a pick or fumble because it literally took 3 points off the board.

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
Thoughts are that there aren't enough playmakers on D. Right now, they are getting by on discipline and strong fundamentals. Which is a nice improvement from last year year. And I think its what we expected from a Fox and Fangio team. Its still possible that one of the rooks could develop into a stud, but the bears will still be short on impact players.

Imo, Fangio has this group playing near or maybe a little above their potential. The next hurdle is getting a couple blue chip players on the D roster.

Nailed it.

Hopefully Fuller continues to improve because he has play making ability. Also Amos is improving every week and hopefully he can start to make some more plays in the passing game.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think we also need to look at stops in key moments.

The Bears got them yesterday. When they simply could not allow a 1st down, they didn't and even held a time out.

They could not allow the Chiefs into field goal range, and they didn't.

Sagbear

Liked Posts:

Ill take Jaylon Smith or Hargreaves is hes there or Myles Jacks if were out of the top 10.

mecha

Liked Posts:

Tucker's defense was the polar opposite. so that's a welcome change.

if I'm not mistaken Porter had the pass breakup at the end of the game that sealed the deal.

is there any timetable on Rolle?

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Just goes to show you that you can't beat a good QB without forcing turnovers. You can get by beating the likes of Alex Smith and David Carr with strong fundamentals though.

Liked Posts:
This is exactly it.

This defense does not have playmakers. They have incredible effort level and discipline and are well coached. Many of the crap teams you listed in the OP do not have those things.

I think this should be rephrased. They don't have "playmakers" in the secondary. The defensive line has shown to have some so far.