Bears defense worse this year

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Pagano has been coaching since 1984, probably before a lot of you were born, and is a well regarded defensive mind by anyone who knows anything.

He is best known for coaching DBs.

Yeah, he was only a DC in NFL for one year, but he did so well he got a HC job immediately. Indy had some good years under him, problems can come for any NFL team. System is designed that way and he was dealing with possible death.

I am sure you all would do great at your job if you started getting those symptoms and later got that diagnosis.

I'd say the good years Indy had under Pagano had more to do with Andrew Luck than anything Pagano did/assembled on defense. Kind of like how offensive mind Brian Billick had good years in Baltimore, yet when he was fired no one was offering him their OC position.

Pagano spent the majority of his coaching career as a position coach. Nothing wrong with that. But he only has 3 years total of DC experience at any level. And that was all very long ago. Might be a different deal to be calling the defensive plays.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd say the good years Indy had under Pagano had more to do with Andrew Luck than anything Pagano did/assembled on defense. Kind of like how offensive mind Brian Billick had good years in Baltimore, yet when he was fired no one was offering him their OC position.

Pagano spent the majority of his coaching career as a position coach. Nothing wrong with that. But he only has 3 years total of DC experience at any level. And that was all very long ago. Might be a different deal to be calling the defensive plays.

Likely one of the worst reviews of Pagano’s career I have yet to read or hear. Sure, “might be a different deal to be calling the defensive plays”, but this opinion thus far is a lone voice. I suspect it will remain so until and if Pagano screws something up. I think the defense is in capable hands.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pagano never had a great defense in Indy....in fact his defenses were some of the worst in the league for most of his tenure.

He obviously never had the talent the Bears have, but I don't think he is any great shakes anyway.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pagano has been coaching since 1984, probably before a lot of you were born, and is a well regarded defensive mind by anyone who knows anything.

He is best known for coaching DBs.

Yeah, he was only a DC in NFL for one year, but he did so well he got a HC job immediately. Indy had some good years under him, problems can come for any NFL team. System is designed that way and he was dealing with possible death.

I am sure you all would do great at your job if you started getting those symptoms and later got that diagnosis.

To be fair there were a lot of bad coaches before I was born. What does this even supposed to mean to someone born after 1984....Are there no bad coaches since 1984 that got HC gigs....

Indy's defenses during his tenure were terrible except for 1.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
There's no way I'd say Pagano is better than Fangio, or will do better.

I just have some confidence that Pagano will know how to use this talent well. I'm just glad his knowledge base is Secondary related, cause that's obviously the weakest link.

He was a sound choice considering what the options were. I wouldn't have minded going for a young up-n-comer DC, but as far as vets, I'm comfortable with Pagano. In fact maybe his lack of DC years will work in his favor, it's not old hat to him, at the same time he knows what he's doing.

BaBaBlacksheep

Jordan Sigler Super Fan
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I sure am gonna miss watching Fangio sacking all those QB’s.....

bears51/40

Liked Posts:

I just have some confidence that Pagano will know how to use this talent well. I'm just glad his knowledge base is Secondary related, cause that's obviously the weakest link.

He was a sound choice considering what the options were. I wouldn't have minded going for a young up-n-comer DC, but as far as vets, I'm comfortable with Pagano. In fact maybe his lack of DC years will work in his favor, it's not old hat to him, at the same time he knows what he's doing.
I will look at this from the other direction......Why can't Pagano be as good or better DC than Fangio? With great talent Vic's defense was #3 in the league, with somewhat less talent Pagano had his Ravens defense at #3. I think what we will find out is this will be a great hire for the Bears with little or no regression.

dll2000

Liked Posts:
Pagano has been coaching at a high level since 80s. You guys can make fun, but experience at any job matters.

He knows what he is doing. He will be fine as a DC.

Being a HC is whole other ball of wax and even then he was dealing with post Peyton rebuilding and then deadly cancer in short order. He did good to start and all things considered. Team didn't draft well after Luck, in fact they drafted horribly. Beyond horribly. That isn't on Pagano.

This guy is a good coach and Bears are lucky to have him.

Media and some here are being perhaps coy and duplicitous. They are simply playing regression odds to look smart. Hard to make a public case that Bears will be worse because of dumb luck, so easier to say it's because of DC change.

Not saying DC change is nothing, but it like you are going from a guy who knows what he is doing to one that doesn't. 10 starters are returning that includes two players who were uber talented rookies.

Health permitting, defense will be good with virtually any qualifed coach they will be great with a good coach like Pagano.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Dix had 3 interceptions all of last year...I would be surprised if he does much better than that. Assuming he even plays 16 games to begin with. We haven't even made it to the pre-season and he's gimped.
If he sat out the PUP list, and missed half the season, I think he would still get 3 interceptions with this defense.

This isn't Green Bay, this is far more like an Alabama job for a safety. Taking 50 tackles off his body is going to get him to alot more balls, and with a rangey safety next to him I think we see him return to a playmaking ball hawk.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pagano has been coaching at a high level since 80s. You guys can make fun, but experience at any job matters.

He knows what he is doing. He will be fine as a DC.

Being a HC is whole other ball of wax and even then he was dealing with post Peyton rebuilding and then deadly cancer in short order. He did good to start and all things considered. Team didn't draft well after Luck, in fact they drafted horribly. Beyond horribly. That isn't on Pagano.

This guy is a good coach and Bears are lucky to have him.

Media and some here are being perhaps coy and duplicitous. They are simply playing regression odds to look smart. Hard to make a public case that Bears will be worse because of dumb luck, so easier to say it's because of DC change.

Not saying DC change is nothing, but it like you are going from a guy who knows what he is doing to one that doesn't. 10 starters are returning that includes two players who were uber talented rookies.

Health permitting, defense will be good with virtually any qualifed coach they will be great with a good coach like Pagano.

I was living in Denver for 6 years, and saw about every snap of Von Miller.

While regression might satisfy some dumb fuck nerds dip shit fantasies, trying to pretend they are smart cuz thats the only thing they have in this life,

its doubtful they don't continue for a couple years at least if

Mack/Hicks/Goldman/Nichols are healthy and wrecking the fools in front of them.

Particularly next year, with Lynch/RRH/Bullard all still in the fold and mature at their craft...and this very much reminds me of the Fangio defenses of Denver/49ers. (Denver did have a wicked secondary in addition)...

I don't know...I don't think defensive regression in 2019 is really the smart play.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I don't disagree totally, but Pagano can play chess and he walks into a situation where the front 7 is already a machine and he retains the D-line coach or no?

Being a secondary guy...I think Pagano actually picks up Fangio's weakness which was fear of blitzing.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

This.

Pagano comes into the ideal situation for him as a secondary coach. He can tweak the scheme behind the machine Fangs built up front. Same page, same thoughts, didn't see you beat me to it.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Mack and Cohen were to get hurt I have serious concerns about their position groups and the impact on the team.

If they are 16 game constants we should remain unpredictable and explosive on both sides of the ball. I put Cohen in that category because I don't think this staff appreciated what Jordan Howard was and took falling forward for 2 yards into contact for granted(his low gravity, flexibility, durability, etc). I would be worried about a rookie and Davis not getting defensive respect and putting Trubisky in a bad place and sacking the entire offense, except that Cohen is a special player and with him we can always go into a pass heavy offense and rely on our 6 WR's to carry the load, while gashing you with Trubisky and Sproles.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I saw this today on NFL.com... Eddie's dad says he putting in even more 2 a days than he had in the past... The Bear's strength and conditioning coach challenged him to stop playing the game just to play it, and to start playing it to be in the HoF... and it sounds like it has lit an even bigger fire under Eddie's backside...

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-train...mpactful-message-Eddie-Jackson-got-from-coach

Last edited:

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If he sat out the PUP list, and missed half the season, I think he would still get 3 interceptions with this defense.

This isn't Green Bay, this is far more like an Alabama job for a safety. Taking 50 tackles off his body is going to get him to alot more balls, and with a rangey safety next to him I think we see him return to a playmaking ball hawk.

Fair point. He is stepping onto a defense that is several times better so he should become a beneficiary of it. Assuming he is as good as some of you guys think he is. I'm not holding my breath.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Fair point. He is stepping onto a defense that is several times better so he should become a beneficiary of it. Assuming he is as good as some of you guys think he is. I'm not holding my breath.
Hopefully he isn't seriously hurt, nor out a long time.

There's a highlight vid on youtube of his games in Wash last year. He looks good. He was a tackling machine with one of the highest tackles/games for safeties last year. He looks really heads-up, quick, eager to hit hard, an excited player trying to be a playmaker. I had no concerns after watching that.

Still I saw PFF ranked him 52nd allowing 17 receptions. That doesn't sound good. Good he'll take the SS role though.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I've been on the record saying he is too feast or famine for my taste in terms of DBs. Between being too thirsty trying to make plays going for the ball instead of playing the receiver and his prior tackling issues I just never liked him. I know I've been hating on the dude for long time but I would much rather be wrong on this one than be right.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
For the discount he took to come to the Bears he only owes us the 7 games plus play-offs.

I have a feeling it will be best for both sides that way and he can step in at the perfect time.

Help us chase a chip, and showcase himself in the best possible lite.

Win/Win