Bears finalize 53 man roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Iago

Giver of Occular Proof
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes but that history is irrelevant because it has been entirely changed with the current regime of the organization for the most part. Since the Ted Phillips/ JA era it's been all about signing picks early and signing first rounders early with the only legit exception being Benson.

Different people run the team from those days in the 80's/90's

Same ownership since 1983. The philosophy flows from the top down. Phillips has been around since 99. Angelo since 2001.

I suppose I'll concede to the point that I ought to have written skilled position players:

Of the 10 years of Angelo's reign, he's drafted 3 skilled position players (I hope you'd agree these are the hardest/most costly to sign) in the first round. Now, in looking at those three (Terrell, Grossman, and Benson), two of them had contract disputes for sure (I don't remember Rex having an issue). Yikes, 2 of 3 skilled position players had issues. That's not good...and under Angelo. :dunno:

I'd like to agree with you, but I still don't see a real test for me to consider, "wow, the Bears have really turned it around" considering they haven't done well with their skilled position picks and haven't drafted in the top 5 (big money spots) since Benson (and he held out for a fucking month).

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Well..Angelo has a terrible history with 1st round picks. Just about everyone knows that. Angelo has only had one top 5 pick (I believe he traded down in 2003 as they had two first round picks that year).

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Same ownership since 1983. The philosophy flows from the top down. Phillips has been around since 99. Angelo since 2001.

I suppose I'll concede to the point that I ought to have written skilled position players:

Of the 10 years of Angelo's reign, he's drafted 3 skilled position players (I hope you'd agree these are the hardest/most costly to sign) in the first round. Now, in looking at those three (Terrell, Grossman, and Benson), two of them had contract disputes for sure (I don't remember Rex having an issue). Yikes, 2 of 3 skilled position players had issues. That's not good...and under Angelo. :dunno:

I'd like to agree with you, but I still don't see a real test for me to consider, "wow, the Bears have really turned it around" considering they haven't done well with their skilled position picks and haven't drafted in the top 5 (big money spots) since Benson (and he held out for a fucking month).

Yes while Angelo was the GM at that point during contract signings. JA DID NOT draft David Terrell. He joined the team the May or June after the draft... plus contract signings are not entirely the GM but people beneath the president and GM, not above, and when your signing someone another person was high on or may not believe much at all you don't want to give them much.

Maybe the Bears didn't want to pay the men, but the Bears were the ones with some legit leverage with the hold outs against Terrell and Benson. They already had a better RB.

Also, TE is considered a skilled position these days, especially if you draft one who's main threat is being a receiver it counts.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
That old dirty cunt Virginia Mccaskey should leave the team to Mike Ditka and Dick Butkus to run in her will, rather than her stupid bastard faggot kids. Hell just give them her stake in the franchise as well.

Also someone should shoot Ted Phillips.
That would be awful.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Angelo's track record with trades and free agency has been solid. (minus the Gaines Adams deal)
Well hard to blame him for Gaines Adams, although I suppose with him there is no Peppers.

I really think that would have been a trade that benefited the Bears.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
I've read that the Bears cleaned house in the scouting department within the last year. Anyone confirm/deny that?

Status
Not open for further replies.