Bears first rounder... final answer!

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
Would be psyched if we got Donald but that essentially means 12 out of 13 teams above us are taking offensive players. Kind of a pipe dream.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
Here is the latest Walter mock, so I can dream on. Of course this is all wildly speculative and will not pan out.

1) Houston Texans: Blake Bortles
2) Oakland Raiders: Johnny Manziel
3) Jacksonville Jaguars: Jadeveon Clowney
4) Cleveland Browns: Teddy Bridgewater
5) St. Louis Rams: Greg Robinson
6) Atlanta Falcons: Khalil Mack
7) Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Jake Matthews
8) Minnesota Vikings: Justin Gilbert, CB
9) Buffalo Bills: Sammy Watkins
10) Detroit Lions: Mike Evans
11) Tennessee Titans: Anthony Barr
12) New York Giants: Taylor Lewan
13) St. Louis Rams: HaHa Clinton-Dix
14) Chicago Bears: Aaron Donald

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
As I've said, Gilbert or Donald depending on FA. If we trade back and accumulate an additional pick and take Hometown Jimmy, I won't be mad.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Donald. Assuming he's still there, he's the best player available and fits a glaring need.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Would be psyched if we got Donald but that essentially means 12 out of 13 teams above us are taking offensive players. Kind of a pipe dream.
Do you believe Donald will be taken over Barr and Mack?

Josh2J

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
JADEVEON CLOWNEY

130827141541-jadeveon-clowney-p1-single-image-cut.jpg

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
Do you believe Donald will be taken over Barr and Mack?
Not Mack, no. I may have been catastrophizing a little. In theory as many as four or five defensive players could go before him but I doubt it.

Bones40

Liked Posts:
Not Mack, no. I may have been catastrophizing a little. In theory as many as four or five defensive players could go before him but I doubt it.

If I was GM my pick would be Donald if he's there. If Donald isn't there, I'd resign from my position as GM.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Are there any Defensive players that only played for like 1 and 1/2 season that are former Baseball stars who's dad once played in the NFL ?

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
just dig my sig

seriously, hagemann can be moved all over the DL, is a disruptive pass rusher, solid against the run, and is a physical freak. Whats more is with all the hype surrounding other defenders, we might be able to trade down a few spots, grab an extra pick in the middle rounds, and still get our guy.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
just dig my sig

seriously, hagemann can be moved all over the DL, is a disruptive pass rusher, solid against the run, and is a physical freak. Whats more is with all the hype surrounding other defenders, we might be able to trade down a few spots, grab an extra pick in the middle rounds, and still get our guy.

Hageman certainly is all those things. But it would be more impressive if he were all those things during an entire game, instead of disappearing for 75% of it.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Hageman certainly is all those things. But it would be more impressive if he were all those things during an entire game, instead of disappearing for 75% of it.

75% is a huge exaggeration, but yeah I am well aware of how he takes plays off. Clowney does too. In fact, I dont think there is a single defensive lineman in this draft who hasnt been criticized for taking plays off outside Donald. Motivation increases in the NFL because they have an opportunity to make millions, and we rotate our guys well enough that he shouldnt tire out.

Anyway, I always prefer defensive linemen you can move around on the line. shifting players is a good way to keep offenses guessing. Its also good to have them if you are a team with coaches that know both the 3-4 an the 4-3, because then you can switch while keeping the same players out.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
75% is a huge exaggeration, but yeah I am well aware of how he takes plays off.

It's not that huge an exaggeration. He doesn't carry the boom or bust label for nothing.

Clowney does too. In fact, I dont think there is a single defensive lineman in this draft who hasnt been criticized for taking plays off outside Donald. Motivation increases in the NFL because they have an opportunity to make millions, and we rotate our guys well enough that he shouldnt tire out.

Really? History says football ceases to become the highest priority for 40% of the guys who get drafted the second the money hits their bank accounts. From that time on they're going through the motions to maintain a lifestyle, and not out of any competitive desire to excel.

Josh2J

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am just not getting all the MB love for Donald. I do not think he is a cant miss prospect.

From a story on CSN Chicago

"The problem with the shorter defensive tackles is that when they don't win with their first move, they don't win with their quickness, they can get stuck on blocks because they don't have the length to get off the block,” said NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock. “And that's the concern with Donald."

Donald’s weight was at 285 pounds at the Combine, too light even for most speed-based single-gap systems. He, like Atkins, may prove an exceptional talent, but hoping for an “exception” at No. 14 is the definition of high risk.

I'd rather have a big body guy like Nix over this guy, to eat up lineman and stuff the run, push the pocket up the middle. We got a smallish interior pass rusher on the roster already in Paea.

(FYI I am not a ND homer, I am actually hoping we resign Melton, skip DT in the 1st, then take a DT in the 2nd or 3rd)

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
I am just not getting all the MB love for Donald. I do not think he is a cant miss prospect.

From a story on CSN Chicago

"The problem with the shorter defensive tackles is that when they don't win with their first move, they don't win with their quickness, they can get stuck on blocks because they don't have the length to get off the block,” said NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock. “And that's the concern with Donald."

Donald’s weight was at 285 pounds at the Combine, too light even for most speed-based single-gap systems. He, like Atkins, may prove an exceptional talent, but hoping for an “exception” at No. 14 is the definition of high risk.

I'd rather have a big body guy like Nix over this guy, to eat up lineman and stuff the run, push the pocket up the middle. We got a smallish interior pass rusher on the roster already in Paea.

(FYI I am not a ND homer, I am actually hoping we resign Melton, skip DT in the 1st, then take a DT in the 2nd or 3rd)

Someone has a brain around here....

Look at Jason Verrett... had a tremendous year for TCU shutting down his side of the field... 2 years ago he had 6 interceptions and 22 defended passes... this year he had 2 ints and 14 defended passes... Which says teams weren't going after the guy... So why isn't he considered the top draft pick at his position? He is 5'10'' 180lbs... At the end of the season people had him ranked as the highest corner in the draft... Then they saw how much smaller he was...

Gilbert was a 3rd rounder a month before the end of the college season then his stock started to rise... why? it wasn't just his great tape and his solid speed that put him ahead of the other 2 great corners in this draft... It was actually his size... he has great athleticism for a man his size and for his position...

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Someone has a brain around here....

Look at Jason Verrett... had a tremendous year for TCU shutting down his side of the field... 2 years ago he had 6 interceptions and 22 defended passes... this year he had 2 ints and 14 defended passes... Which says teams weren't going after the guy... So why isn't he considered the top draft pick at his position? He is 5'10'' 180lbs... At the end of the season people had him ranked as the highest corner in the draft... Then they saw how much smaller he was...

Gilbert was a 3rd rounder a month before the end of the college season then his stock started to rise... why? it wasn't just his great tape and his solid speed that put him ahead of the other 2 great corners in this draft... It was actually his size... he has great athleticism for a man his size and for his position...

I think Donald may fall out of the first round

RisWell

Liked Posts:
Did Verrett really shut his side down. Everytime I saw TCU play there defense got passed on from every side.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk