Bears Linebackers

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
i see Skyy Moore as a down the road WR with upside moreso than immediate help for Fields
Let's discuss Skyy Moore.

My comp to Skyy Moore is the Moore that i liked last year when everyone was on Rondale Moore, and I was like, nope, Elijah Moore is going to be the man. He lit up Alabama. The dude didn't care who he played; he just went to work and did his thing. He caught everything, made separation, and finished his receptions.

Comp him to Skyy Moore. Skyy Moore has the biggest hands in the draft with a very good reach. He has speed, is tough, and is able to gain separation and make his own catch happen. He will be the guy that is PPR gold, at first, as a floor. He will be the guy that will always be open for a gain and will make the tough catch and then finish the defender who tries to tackle him. He finishes receptions like a good RB finishes runs.

His ceiling is very very high. With the advent of big corners, his slippery frame and footwork can take advantage of them on the boundary or he can be moved around as a true weapon.

But, more importantly, look at what Wilson did with Elijah Moore as the season went on: he realized that that was the guy that he could rely upon. That became his safety valve as he started improving and gaining confidence.

We don't have that guy on the team now. With Skyy, Mooney becomes the nastiest deep threat in the league and can force a team to always be scared of him getting behind them. Fields will hit him in stride a few times a game. How do we get a guy behind the D's shell? We have a dude terrorizing underneath.

Fields takes the handoff and goes PA to Monty, the D must respect that, in the half second gained he sends his eyes to Skyy, who the D doesn't want to catch his 5th pass for 5 yards, and then uses his huge arm to fling it down the field to Mooney.

Skyy is what will make Fields in much the same way that Elijah Moore made Wilson.

Also, Skyy Moore will NOT get by Pittsburgh in the 2nd. He played HS ball with the coach's son. They have a connection and know what he can do. We must take him at 39th. He will be the guy that puts the whole O in motion, and that's just his floor.

Canth

Liked Posts:
The rush isn't great long term either. They have some nice players but the only guy who really brings it is Robert Quinn, who is on the wrong side of thirty and should probably be dealt.

I am wondering where they decide to play Trevis Gibson. He had 7 sacks last year as an OLB. So, does he stay at LB, maybe that SAM? Or does he move to DL where he played in college? Is he stout enough to play LDE in a 4-3, or would he simply be Quinn's back-up at RDE?

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I am wondering where they decide to play Trevis Gibson. He had 7 sacks last year as an OLB. So, does he stay at LB, maybe that SAM? Or does he move to DL where he played in college? Is he stout enough to play LDE in a 4-3, or would he simply be Quinn's back-up at RDE?
The Bears played in a 4 man front probably 70-75% of snaps last year and Gipson has never played off the ball in his life. So probably he will rotate in with Muhammed and Quinn.

pinkfloydster

Liked Posts:
Adams is here for special teams. He was all pro ST last year. He isn't going to play LB much except for injuries. I think there will be at least one and maybe two more LB signed or drafted.

It's an interesting question. Do the Bears organization view Adams as a Brendon Ayanbadejo type guy or is he vying for a starting spot. My guy instinct is he is competing for a legitimate spot because he fits the mold of speed and aggressive. But that's a wild ass guess.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
It's an interesting question. Do the Bears organization view Adams as a Brendon Ayanbadejo type guy or is he vying for a starting spot. My guy instinct is he is competing for a legitimate spot because he fits the mold of speed and aggressive. But that's a wild ass guess.
There are clues. One is that the defensive coordinator who did not play him really at all over the last two seasons in Indy is now his head coach.

The second is that he is a converted safety who is smaller than both Roquan and Morrow, and their third starting LB is likely to be someone who is more of a box guy.

pinkfloydster

Liked Posts:
There are clues. One is that the defensive coordinator who did not play him really at all over the last two seasons in Indy is now his head coach.

The second is that he is a converted safety who is smaller than both Roquan and Morrow, and their third starting LB is likely to be someone who is more of a box guy.

Yeah, on second thought you may be right. As the roster fills out, we may get a better sense of how they are viewing him.

On the other hand, the Bears are shopping in the bargain bin for starters. So, Eberflus may be saying, yeah, I'm not in love with the idea of starting him. But I know him and he is serviceable.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
What I’m trying to figure out is how people are even watching Conner play? He’s got basically nothing out there right now.

I saw him in the Shrine Bowl practice clips and game, but he didn’t seem like much of a player to me (basically forgot he was even there).
Scouts have tools that we do not get to use. For small school players, we basically have to rely on what scouts say they saw.

I am just relying on the belief that he would fit well as a move TE as he is very similar to some of the better ones in the NFL physically. As a 5th round pick at the earliest, he would be a special teams contributor as he hopefully develops under NFL trainers.

Canth

Liked Posts:
The Bears played in a 4 man front probably 70-75% of snaps last year and Gipson has never played off the ball in his life. So probably he will rotate in with Muhammed and Quinn.

Fair enough. I guess I didn't pay that close attention to how he was actually used last year, I know he was listed as an OLB. His snaps went up when Mack got hurt, so yeah...he was more of a pass rush guy than a coverage guy.

I forgot about Muhammed. It makes sense that Gibson will be a DE in this defense then.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
Fair enough. I guess I didn't pay that close attention to how he was actually used last year, I know he was listed as an OLB. His snaps went up when Mack got hurt, so yeah...he was more of a pass rush guy than a coverage guy.

I forgot about Muhammed. It makes sense that Gibson will be a DE in this defense then.
Yeah, but don't forget the fact that he does have the ability to play on the interior, so he may be used as a pass rushing DT as a speed pass rushing threat. I wouldn't be surprised to see him, Muhammed, and Quinn on the field at the same time, with him rushing from the interior during a specific passing scenario.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Yeah, but don't forget the fact that he does have the ability to play on the interior, so he may be used as a pass rushing DT as a speed pass rushing threat. I wouldn't be surprised to see him, Muhammed, and Quinn on the field at the same time, with him rushing from the interior during a specific passing scenario.
Why do you think Gipson can play in the interior?

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
Gipson in a rotation is actually the biggest of the three. Gipson 6-4 263, Muhammad 6-4 250, and Quinn 6-4 250. So, to answer your question yes Gipson is stout enough in this defense to play LDE. I believe Muhammad has also played both end spots in Indy.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:

Looking at the Colt LB's last year I don't think we should look at the SAM as a typical box guy. For Flus it seems to be all about speed for is LB's.

Bears Will......Smith 6-0 234 or Morrow 6-0 225. Colts.... Leonard 6-2 230.
Bears Mike......Smith or Morrow. Colts....Okereke 6-1 235.
Bears Sam....Adams 6-0 230. Colts......Franklin 6-0 235.

Not much difference in size, and all of them are run and hit linebackers.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
Why do you think Gipson can play in the interior?
He spent a season playing a 3-4 end. Yes, it was a hybrid front, and exactly if it were the 5 or 3 varied, but, relative to a 4-3, that would make him have played in a 3 point stance in the interior.

So, his experience playing as an end as a DT in a 3-4 is actually an interior DL in a 4-3.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
He spent a season playing a 3-4 end. Yes, it was a hybrid front, and exactly if it were the 5 or 3 varied, but, relative to a 4-3, that would make him have played in a 3 point stance in the interior.

So, his experience playing as an end as a DT in a 3-4 is actually an interior DL in a 4-3.
I don't think he played there much, and I don't think he was very successful there, and that was in college. Certainly hasn't done it at the NFL level and tough to imagine he's going to do much there at 260.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
I don't think he played there much, and I don't think he was very successful there, and that was in college. Certainly hasn't done it at the NFL level and tough to imagine he's going to do much there at 260.
Yeah, that was my point. He has done it, so has the ability to. Now, I’m not saying he is a 3-tech DT! That’s some dumb shit.

Nah man, I am saying he can, very sparingly, be used in a way that gets our 3 best pass rushers on the field at the same time. Again, key word is sparingly.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Yeah, that was my point. He has done it, so has the ability to. Now, I’m not saying he is a 3-tech DT! That’s some dumb shit.

Nah man, I am saying he can, very sparingly, be used in a way that gets our 3 best pass rushers on the field at the same time. Again, key word is sparingly.
You really have no idea if he can though at the NFL level, or if he'd be one of the three best pass rushers on the team from the interior. Like if he's really that good at interior pass rushing why would you only use him sparingly?

Another poster argued with me for pages that Gipson would make a good SAM.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
You really have no idea if he can though at the NFL level, or if he'd be one of the three best pass rushers on the team from the interior. Like if he's really that good at interior pass rushing why would you only use him sparingly?

Another poster argued with me for pages that Gipson would make a good SAM.
Not a point to argue. He’s literally talking about 3rd and really long situations, and even then depending on the overall game situation.

Don’t make a mountain out of a molehill…

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Not a point to argue. He’s literally talking about 3rd and really long situations, and even then depending on the overall game situation.

Don’t make a mountain out of a molehill…
How can you know what he is literally talking about if he didn't literally say that?

Maybe you don't know what literally means?

Either way, I will argue what points I want to argue.