Bears need to focus on protecting Fields NOW

SugabearMVP

Liked Posts:
One thing Bears screwed up on in my opinion is not creating a solid line for Mitch when they drafted him. The line wasn’t horrible but it wasn’t great either. The following year they got Daniels in the 2nd round and that was about it in regards to early picks.

The protection and building around Fields has got to start now and I mean round 2 and possibly another sometime in this draft.

I know we need CB and WR but honestly if we don’t try to build around Fields, the line will keep getting filled with guys that don’t even belong on the team. Nagy and Pace have a chance to help this kid out as well as their own future if they play it right.

Spankypants

Liked Posts:
Nice thought, but unlikely to happen.
Oline isn't shiney and sparkling like Pace and Nagy like. Fields highlights show him throwing from a clean pocket.
Those days are over.

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Probably use 52nd pick on Raduez or Little. Maybe trade down to get extra 4th if 2-3 OTs are available with similar grades. We will see. Can’t wait for tonight.

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
The offensive line was not as bad as some make it out to be. Especially later in the season. And thats with a few injuries.
No Leno is bad. He got better later in season due to play calling and his play could only get better. If Bears draft OT especially a LT, he might get cut to save money. I trust Ifedi at RT more than I trust Leno at LT.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
No Leno is bad. He got better later in season due to play calling and his play could only get better. If Bears draft OT especially a LT, he might get cut to save money. I trust Ifedi at RT more than I trust Leno at LT.
Agreed. Leno seems to range between perfectly mediocre and really bad. He's serviceable when he's good, but the problem is, he's inconsistent and is in the top-10 for penalties for all offensive linemen (not just tackles, let alone left tackles).

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Probably use 52nd pick on Raduez or Little. Maybe trade down to get extra 4th if 2-3 OTs are available with similar grades. We will see. Can’t wait for tonight.

Hope so!

Isn't it nice, but oh so strange to see the majority of CCS agreeing!??

Dogs & Cats Mass Hysteria - Ghostbusters.png

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Josh Myers C Ohio State is available in later rounds

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
For whatever reason it seems pace puts a higher value on the interior of the line than the tackles

The_Shadow

Simply a Bears fan
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
For whatever reason it seems pace puts a higher value on the interior of the line than the tackles
Because that is what he learned in New Orleans when he started out. NOLA has always had a solid inside trio and average Tackles. Difference is, Sean Payton is calling the plays in his offense. Nagy can not hold Paytons beer, much less his own.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

If a team comes calling for the 52nd pick, and they are only a few spots back, package the 52nd and a 6th rounder (or 2) and get their 2nd and a 3rd out of it.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Because that is what he learned in New Orleans when he started out. NOLA has always had a solid inside trio and average Tackles. Difference is, Sean Payton is calling the plays in his offense. Nagy can not hold Paytons beer, much less his own.

But also Brees made his tackles look better(Bushrod) because of his quick release and movement in the pocket

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
So should we expect another interior oline pick? Totally ignore oline? Finally add significant talent youth to the tackle position?

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
The offensive line was not as bad as some make it out to be. Especially later in the season. And thats with a few injuries.
I mean, they finally benched Coward. That in and of itself upgraded them from dog shit to just shit. Yes, they played 'better' the last 4-5 games of the season but that's relative to how bad they were for the first 11-12 games, they were horrible! The worst starting tackles in the NFL by far.

Hutch1975

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Brewers
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Edmonton Oilers
  1. Brigham Young Cougars
One thing Bears screwed up on in my opinion is not creating a solid line for Mitch when they drafted him. The line wasn’t horrible but it wasn’t great either. The following year they got Daniels in the 2nd round and that was about it in regards to early picks.

The protection and building around Fields has got to start now and I mean round 2 and possibly another sometime in this draft.

I know we need CB and WR but honestly if we don’t try to build around Fields, the line will keep getting filled with guys that don’t even belong on the team. Nagy and Pace have a chance to help this kid out as well as their own future if they play it right.
My two guys, both of whom are still available:
OT/OG Jackson Carman, Clemson
OT Daniel Faalele, Minnesota

Both are huge monsters who could protect Fields and who also would be devastating run-blockers.

tgmxd

Liked Posts:
I want these next two picks spent on either WR or OL depending on who's there.

With Fields's play style, he immediately makes any offensive line better because teams are going to be scared to just have their pass rushers tee off on him.

I'd much rather aim for an average offensive line and then use those extra resources to overload him with explosive playmakers (like Mahomes throwing to Kelce, Hill, and Watkins).