Bears owners deserve some credit for being the sole team voting against the 17 game season

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The players do not want a 17 game season. It's already a battle of attrition to get through the last games of a season as it is, with the accumulated injuries and wear and tear on the body. This only gets harder as a player's career progresses. But the owners and the broadcasters got what they want. I'm happy that despite the (I believe incorrect) accusations of the Bears owners being cheap, here's a case where they voted for player-safety over the $$$. As owners, they may make some mistakes (the biggest one being retaining Ted Phillips), but here's one they got right.

We'll see how this plays out over time in terms of injuries and wear and tear, but I don't see much good coming of moving to a 17 game season.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I'm sure the players see this and think that the Bears are an organization that has their health as a top priority and that's great.

But this is an organization that has done nothing for decades and we're currently going through an ownership/regime relationship in which the optics keep getting worse and worse and the incompetence grows with each season. I can't think them being the only team out of 32 to get something right, even if I thought it was right. It really is hard to think that truly well run organizations got it wrong and the Bears got it right. But it is true, they aren't cheap. They're just dumb.

I honestly don't feel bad for the players. Not at all. It's a really tough sport with potential life threatening consequences from injuries but that's why they get paid an insane amount of money to legally be violent and play a sport. Risk/Reward. Their choice to play or not.

I have no issue being a meatball on this topic. Entertain me, gladiators.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If the players didn't want it, they shouldn't have agreed to it in the collective bargaining agreement. Sure, it's a money grab by the owners, but a percentage of that go's to the players, so they are not without blame here. The cap each year is figured on a percentage of revenue, more games, more revenue, more money for the players.

PrimeTime

Knowledge Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So...the owners wanted a 17 game season and used their collective bargaining with the players to get it. Which means the owners had to concede something to the players in order to get it. Whatever they conceded must have been enough because the players agreed to it and signed the contract. Now when it's time to implement the 17 game season one of the owners voted against what he already conceded something to get in the first place. Better yet is there are some fucking meatballs here that think this was a good move by the Bears ownership. This would be the same as giving someone money for his car and then telling him he can keep the car.

Chicoman

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Better to get injured in a 17th game that means something than a 4th preseason game that doesn’t. I would feel the same about an 18th game and the 3rd preseason game as well.

If a player is worried about the impact, contracts could be adjusted to allow for game off. For example, sign a guy for 14 games and pick and choose when to use him.”, with option to add extra games in season for more pay. probably Far fetched but could happen.

Dejo

Godfather of FTO
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Real Salt Lake
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Utah Jazz
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Utah Utes
If the players didn't want it, they shouldn't have agreed to it in the collective bargaining agreement. Sure, it's a money grab by the owners, but a percentage of that go's to the players, so they are not without blame here. The cap each year is figured on a percentage of revenue, more games, more revenue, more money for the players.

True in terms if cap growth but they are not getting paid for that extra game, especially not this year, or those whose have existing agreements. They get paid the same for an additional game of wear and tear.

How Demaurice Smith is still around is beyond me.

meangreek

Liked Posts:
Poor Babies, the new athletes are pussies compared to any generation before.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I don’t think virgina or the other owners are athletes but i agree, they’re pussies!!

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
True in terms if cap growth but they are not getting paid for that extra game, especially not this year, or those whose have existing agreements. They get paid the same for an additional game of wear and tear.

How Demaurice Smith is still around is beyond me.

That is always how it has worked, the following year is based on the previous years profit. Again, the CBA spells this out perfectly clear.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They get free timeouts to catch their breath all the time due to commercial breaks. NFL hasn't been about training harder than the opponent (holding up 4 fingers in the 4th Qtr) since HS or lower level non-TV collegiate games. The players will survive 1 more game. I personally wouldn't mind a 2nd bye week TBH. Just start a week earlier since everybody's chomping for it all summer anyway.

Maybe now, a Bears QB might finally have a 4,000yrd season?

benplace

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Technically this adds a half to the season. The starters played the first half in Pre Season week 3, sometime playing into the 3rd quarter. All thats gonna happen is most teams will not play starters in any of the three preseason games.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
I honestly don't feel bad for the players. Not at all. It's a really tough sport with potential life threatening consequences from injuries but that's why they get paid an insane amount of money to legally be violent and play a sport. Risk/Reward. Their choice to play or not.
Exactly, you get to be a king in your twenties and thirties. Most people never get to be that ever and they get it in the prime of their lives. Guys like Chris Borland have done the risk/reward independently and chosen not to play, nobody is forcing anyone to do anything.

That said I hate the seventeen game season. More injuries means worse games, and it'll really affect the playoffs more than anything. And it just didn't need to be changed, just like the seven team playoff field didn't need to be changed. They are just meddling to make an extra few bucks here and there, probably at the behest of the networks who know the only time they get eyeballs is when they are broadcasting the NFL, College Football or the NCAA Tournament.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
good on bears

more games is bad for the players and bad for the sport

already too many teams that has diluted the talent pool too much

CygnusX44

Bulgogi Apparatus
Liked Posts:
Ok, ok, I know. I’m beating the Harold thing to death, so I promise to scale back. But in the meantime, let’s say hello to ‘Hal’an Alda...

7B122A54-514A-45D9-BCC5-791FCA7EC2B3.jpeg

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Definitely don't think we needed a 17th game...but considering the players agreed to this in the CBA and are making infinitely more money than more important people in society such as doctors, teachers, scientists, engineers etc, I couldn't really give a shit less.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
The owners and players can complain and moan about stuff they've already agreed to as they get richer while us plebs beg and plead for illegal links to watch the games and scripts to try on unsuspecting Directv customer service agents.

Cry us all a river.

tcmtrinity

Liked Posts:
George prolly just wanted to preserve the Bears record of never having a 4,000 yard passing season. Out of respect for Papa.

mecha

Liked Posts:
basically, NFL football just got even shittier.

I can't wait for the new rules. maybe they'll abolish kickoffs or extra points. or the added bonus of starting at the 40 yard line. perhaps eradicate the challenge flag so as to not make their incompetent officials look worse.

fuck this.