Bears/Pace kicker clown show continues full speed ahead

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
https://247sports.com/nfl/chicago-bears/Article/Bears-kickers-struggle-minicamp-132788595/

I guess the unwarranted faith CCS had put into Pace's initial "kicker tryout" was misguided. Pace's methods were 'unconventional' to say the least, although CCS assured me that weekend kicker tryouts were normal...IN THE OFFSEASON! My initial skepticism turned into astonishment when I heard that the only guy to make his kicks was the guy sent home because the Bears "kicking consultant" allegedly didn't like the way his kicks spun in the air or other such nonsense, but, again, CCS assured me that the analytics were on the Bears' side and I need to get with the times.

Well now, we unsurprisingly have this:

It was revealed after the team's minicamp practice on June 11 that all three of the team's kickers struggled when attempting a 42-yard field goal. Elliott Fry, Chris Blewitt and Eddy Pineiro attempted the kick in front of their teammates and all three missed the attempt. What did head coach Matt Nagythink?

"Whatever went through your mind went through my mind," Nagy told the media.

I give Nagy credit for being honest. Fox would have 'denied the incident' and changed the subject. The two most ridiculous aspects of the story are that Bednarski would have made his attempt, and 42 yards is the tip of an NFL kicker's "automatic" range. This is terrible, and terribly funny.

1%2Bkickers.png

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
I think it’s the ridiculous amount of pressure on these kickers created by Nagy and this competition. Kicking, like pitching, is such a mental game at some point you have to think they’re just psyched out and might have caught the yips. I get we want whoever comes out of this competition to be “battle tested” but he can’t have 0 confidence either.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
I think it’s the ridiculous amount of pressure on these kickers created by Nagy and this competition

What on earth are you talking about???? It's the opposite. The guys who missed their kicks in the initial "kicker tryout/shitshow" were the guys who Pace kept!

It would be like having baseball tryouts and you get rid of the kid who hits HRs because you don't like his swing, you keep the kid who looks good but always pops out to the pitcher...and then weeks later you are 'surprised' that the kid still can't hit the ball out of the infield.

Mikeropod

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. San Antonio Spurs
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Cleveland Browns
  1. San Jose Sharks
  1. Miami (Ohio) Redhawks
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I really liked this article, in that it gives a bit more context to the search, per se. Once one of the kids get some confidence, I think they'll manage okay.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
What on earth are you talking about???? It's the opposite. The guys who missed their kicks in the initial "kicker tryout/shitshow" were the guys who Pace kept!

It would be like having baseball tryouts and you get rid of the kid who hits HRs because you don't like his swing, you keep the kid who looks good but always pops out to the pitcher...and then weeks later you are 'surprised' that the kid still can't hit the ball out of the infield.
Those kicks were only at the end of practice with the team around it’s more than possible that the other kickers were better for the rest of practice. Reports were that kids we got rid of who were hitting home runs weren’t great for the rest of practice.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Pace has absolutely blown the kicker situation for years. Now they cannot find anyone to replace Parkey. Great.

But the real question is, can Eddy Pineiro miss 42 yarders with both legs??
Is it possible that our kicker can be worse than Parkey? Pace is trying to find out

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Blewit got waived....There goes those awkward anouncing moments.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Pretty sure they want Gould...San Fran is probably asking for more than Chicago wants to give.
At some point you just gotta pay up and not let a fucking kicker double doink you out of the playoffs again

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think it’s the ridiculous amount of pressure on these kickers created by Nagy and this competition. Kicking, like pitching, is such a mental game at some point you have to think they’re just psyched out and might have caught the yips. I get we want whoever comes out of this competition to be “battle tested” but he can’t have 0 confidence either.
I'm not liking the results so far but am fine with the process. Somebody will need to adjust to the pressure to get the gig. This is still less pressure than the end of a game on Sunday. If they can't learn to handle this, move on while there's still time. Might as well start this early and do it often.

Last edited: