Bears playoff scenarios

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
You could make that argument but being a divisional rivalry, you'd want to eliminate that rival ASAP.

Case in point for Bears's fans. I take you back to 2010. Bears had the bye clinched. Last game vs Packers. Packers lose and they are out. If they win and some other shit happens, they are in. Our Bears take the seemingly insignificant loss but the Packers sneak into the playoffs to earn the last WC spot based on a tie breaker.

They would come back to haunt the Bears in the NFC Conference title match when the Packers stomped a mud hole in Jay Cutler. The cowardly Jay Cutler taps out, leaving his teammates to bear (pun intended) the loss to their hated rivals. Packers go on to win SB 45! Oh, the humanity!

The NFC Championship game was this franchises worst loss. Even worse then the Super Bowl.

Last edited:

mecha

Liked Posts:
You could make that argument but being a divisional rivalry, you'd want to eliminate that rival ASAP.

Case in point for Bears's fans. I take you back to 2010. Bears had the bye clinched. Last game vs Packers. Packers lose and they are out. If they win and some other shit happens, they are in. Our Bears take the seemingly insignificant loss but the Packers sneak into the playoffs to earn the last WC spot based on a tie breaker.

They would come back to haunt the Bears in the NFC Conference title match when the Packers stomped a mud hole in Jay Cutler. The cowardly Jay Cutler taps out, leaving his teammates to bear (pun intended) the loss to their hated rivals. Packers go on to win SB 45! Oh, the humanity!

it's been 10 years. I see them doing it again, but hoping someone in the NFC rises up to prevent that. LOL

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:

The Bears actually went balls out in the 2010 Week 17 game where they lost 10-3. They just sucked on offense like they always do against the Packers. Usually though, the Packers defense sucks which makes it even more inexcusable how the Bears offense sucks against them, but that year the Packers had a legit defense. That's why they ended up winning the Super Bowl. Anyway, in that Week 17 game, the Bears were up 3-0 at halftime and on the Packers first drive of the 3rd quarter, Peanut had a diving pick of Rodgers and returned it inside the redzone. And then Cutler threw a pick in the endzone into double coverage. Then when it was 3-3, and the Bears were driving, Lovie calls timeout right before the snap of a 3rd and long that the Bears actually pick up the 1st down as no one heard the whistle. Just lol. Then they get sacked on the actual play after the timeout and have to punt. Then the Packers go down and get a TD and win 10-3. Cutler throws a pick on the final drive where he overthrows Hester around the Packers 10. Atleast they tried in that game I guess.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Bears actually went balls out in the 2010 Week 17 game where they lost 10-3. They just sucked on offense like they always do against the Packers. Usually though, the Packers defense sucks which makes it even more inexcusable how the Bears offense sucks against them, but that year the Packers had a legit defense. That's why they ended up winning the Super Bowl. Anyway, in that Week 17 game, the Bears were up 3-0 at halftime and on the Packers first drive of the 3rd quarter, Peanut had a diving pick of Rodgers and returned it inside the redzone. And then Cutler threw a pick in the endzone into double coverage. Then when it was 3-3, and the Bears were driving, Lovie calls timeout right before the snap of a 3rd and long that the Bears actually pick up the 1st down as no one heard the whistle. Just lol. Then they get sacked on the actual play after the timeout and have to punt. Then the Packers go down and get a TD and win 10-3. Cutler throws a pick on the final drive where he overthrows Hester around the Packers 10. Atleast they tried in that game I guess.
Maybe they went balls out and maybe they didn't. Don't think Jay went balls out as his were literally crushed. Took a lot of punishment that game. I just remember the predominant narrative on the Bears' message board being that they went very vanilla that game as to not reveal much going into the playoffs. I didn't think much of that narrative but with a bye clinched, one could easily question the amount of urgency they and/or specific Bears' players felt to win that low scoring game. Great memory on your part though. LMAO

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Maybe they went balls out and maybe they didn't. Don't think Jay went balls out as his were literally crushed. Took a lot of punishment that game. I just remember the predominant narrative on the Bears' message board being that they went very vanilla that game as to not reveal much going into the playoffs. I didn't think much of that narrative but with a bye clinched, one could easily question the amount of urgency they and/or specific Bears' players felt to win that low scoring game. Great memory on your part though. LMAO
Maybe the offense was vanilla but the defense probably played one of their best games of the season.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Maybe the offense was vanilla but the defense probably played one of their best games of the season.
That was just the narrative of the Cutty fans who hadn't died off yet at that point. Haha. Packers just had Cutler's number and knew he'd give them the ball when pressured. He was horrendous in both that game and the conference playoff. And, of course, Jay's sense of urgency could always be questioned anyway.

greg23

Liked Posts:
H2H tiebreaker is H2H games. The Bears got beat by the Rams, so the Rams get the tiebreaker.
You can't do H2H with 3 teams, because they haven't all played each other. So, the tiebreaker is conference record then record in common games.

Actually in a three way the first tie breaker is to slot division teams using 2 way tiebreakers (az vs rams) then the winner goes up against the other team to determine the winner of the three way tie

In a 9-7 three way tie

Az beats lar
Chi then beats az

Just like in a 8-8 three way tie

Min beats chi
Min then beats az

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
The Bears lost on MNF to the Rams so that's not a head to head tiebreaker that they hold. They do hold the head to head tiebreaker over the Cardinals. We are cheering for the Lions and 49ers on Saturday. I actually hope the Rams win on Sunday and get to 10-5. They would have matching 10-5 records with the Seahawks and own a season sweep against them. That would force them to "play to win" in their Week 17 game against the Cardinals. That's what we want.

The Rams are currently the #5 seed. That’s a better seed then the 3rd seed this year in the NFC.

Might be the easiest playoff game in NFL history.

Not much motivation for the 3rd seed when your sitting at the greatest 5th seed in history! Not much homefield advantage with no fans in LA.

fenderpfunk

Liked Posts:
Alright cool. Basically we need San Francisco to have its Battle of Rorke's Drift in what has otherwise been a disastrous season for them against a team they really do not like. At least they are used to playing in Arizona!

interesting reference

jtreal3

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Bullshit, no they didn't!