Bears QBs and their fans

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
As many of you know I'm a bit unique in that I'm an outsider (Eagle fan), but also not a hater of the Bears. I actually root for them as long as it doesn't negatively impact my team. I'd add, I've been on this board since it's start and before that the CBMB. With the current sit vs. start arguments over Fields it got me thinking of the past, specifically:
  • Harbaugh vs coach - You picked a side and ran with it.
  • Walsh vs Kramer vs Matthews - You liked one and hated the other.
  • McNown vs anyone else
  • Orton vs Grossman (my personal fav) - This was by far the most heated on any board
  • Cutler vs anti-Cutler (which includes but not limited to Josh McNown)
  • Trubisky vs anti-Trubisky
  • Today = Fields vs Dalton
One thing has become extremely clear - Despite never having a top 10 QB, you guys LOVE to argue about the QB position. It's almost as if you start by forming an opinion on a specific player, quickly identify someone with a different thought process, then go straight to drawing the battle lines. Every piece of data presented only strengthens your argument and every piece that's provided must be a lie. What ends up happening is almost irrelevant. Even when one side loses as opposed to eating crow and rooting for whomever is the starter you start to root against them trying to revive the argument so you can maybe pull out the comeback win.

I'm not suggesting a solution, but rather reflecting on what has happened. I find it amazing how both sides get formed and don't give the other side an inch. There's nobody saying 'that's a really good point and you might be right'. It's almost like arguing politics or religion. Once someone commits to a side that's their ride or die.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Shane Matthews, Erik Kramer and Steve Walsh were never on a Bears team together.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Tribalism is strong in this country

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
Ah yes, Josh McNown. I remember his beef with Cade McCown...

Thrilling times I tells ya.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
What's funny is people are still anti-Harbaugh, still hold Kramer up as a great one.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I resemble those remarks and nothing you can say will change my mind ;)

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
I can't believe you could leave out the Quinn / Hutchinson / Krenzel QB battle of the ages.

Mikeropod

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. San Antonio Spurs
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Cleveland Browns
  1. San Jose Sharks
  1. Miami (Ohio) Redhawks
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I can't believe you could leave out the Quinn / Hutchinson / Krenzel QB battle of the ages.

Oh, the trash I've rooted for. When I played Madden '98 in college, I used to bench the starter to play as Steve Stenstrom. Why? Who knows.....it certainly never helped me *win* any games.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
As many of you know I'm a bit unique in that I'm an outsider (Eagle fan), but also not a hater of the Bears. I actually root for them as long as it doesn't negatively impact my team. I'd add, I've been on this board since it's start and before that the CBMB. With the current sit vs. start arguments over Fields it got me thinking of the past, specifically:
  • Harbaugh vs coach - You picked a side and ran with it.
  • Walsh vs Kramer vs Matthews - You liked one and hated the other.
  • McNown vs anyone else
  • Orton vs Grossman (my personal fav) - This was by far the most heated on any board
  • Cutler vs anti-Cutler (which includes but not limited to Josh McNown)
  • Trubisky vs anti-Trubisky
  • Today = Fields vs Dalton
One thing has become extremely clear - Despite never having a top 10 QB, you guys LOVE to argue about the QB position. It's almost as if you start by forming an opinion on a specific player, quickly identify someone with a different thought process, then go straight to drawing the battle lines. Every piece of data presented only strengthens your argument and every piece that's provided must be a lie. What ends up happening is almost irrelevant. Even when one side loses as opposed to eating crow and rooting for whomever is the starter you start to root against them trying to revive the argument so you can maybe pull out the comeback win.

I'm not suggesting a solution, but rather reflecting on what has happened. I find it amazing how both sides get formed and don't give the other side an inch. There's nobody saying 'that's a really good point and you might be right'. It's almost like arguing politics or religion. Once someone commits to a side that's their ride or die.

the phenomena you describe is rampant across basically all of life

jbunch14

Liked Posts:
QB1 is our QB, and we'll go from there.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Arguing is human nature. In sports, more-so.

I don't see anything unique about this. In this case if a position isn't solidified, there's a legit argument to be made. As far as Dalton vs Fields is concerned, the overall issue argument actually seems to be is Fields ready or not. If not, that's where Dalton comes in.

Look at some of the fans around here. Neanderthal, leather helmet football fans who still have dirt in their nails from the 1960s. They're still living in a different era of football "logic". Mitch is a passenger on a 12 win team and he's labeled "winner" despite giving the Bears average QB play, with 1 game vs a dogshit team making up 25% of his TD production. Rodgers labeled "choker". This isn't accurate. This is Bears fandom speaking.

Some people post with their brains. Others with their hearts. I remember Packer fans arguing in 2013 about Rodgers vs Favre. This will be a thing forever.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
There isn't a Fields debate, it's more of when to start him

Nail Polish

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I hate to admit this, but no matter who the Bears QB is he will have a tough time in Chicago. For some reason, Bear fans are exceptionally tough on QB's. In fact, I think the fans and the local media do more to harm a QB than to help him. The constant harping ruins a QB's confidence and he actually becomes what the fans think they're helping to avoid. It's almost like they would rather have something to gripe about than not.

I hope this isn't the case with Fields.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I hate to admit this, but no matter who the Bears QB is he will have a tough time in Chicago. For some reason, Bear fans are exceptionally tough on QB's. In fact, I think the fans and the local media do more to harm a QB than to help him. The constant harping ruins a QB's confidence and he actually becomes what the fans think they're helping to avoid. It's almost like they would rather have something to gripe about than not.

I hope this isn't the case with Fields.
God i hate these meatball points. Such a lazy, dogshit narrative.