Bears rookie mincamp notes: day 2

Spear

Corpus callosotomy
Liked Posts:
Zach Zaidman ‏@ZachZaidman 23m
#Bears coach Marc Trestman on day two of rookie minicamp: "It was an awesome day today, a lot of energy out here." pic.twitter.com/MgNKalIB34

Zach Zaidman ‏@ZachZaidman 16m
#Bears DC Mel Tucker on job competition: "It'll be like steel sharpening steel. We'll make each other better." pic.twitter.com/FS6Zyl1oas

Chicago Bears ‏@ChicagoBears 1h
LM: Mel Tucker on #Bears rookie LB Khaseem Greene: "The guy can run, he can hit. He’s very instinctive."

Chicago Bears ‏@ChicagoBears 1h
LM: Mel Tucker on #Bears rookie MLB Jon Bostic: "He’s a smart guy. He’s a take-control guy. He’s very comfortable making the calls."

Brad Biggs ‏@BradBiggs 5m
#Bears DC Mel Tucker likes the start by rookie LB's Jon Bostic and Khaseem Greene. http://trib.in/12p424B

Spear

Corpus callosotomy
Liked Posts:
Adam Jahns ‏@adamjahns 1h
The #Bears had rookies guard Kyle Long and tackle Jordan Mills on the right side together during practice again.

Zach Zaidman ‏@ZachZaidman 1h
LSU RB Michael Ford impressing coaching staff at #Bears rookie minicamp, especially with his return skills on special teams.

#Bears have spent a significant amount of time on special teams over the first two days of rookie minicamp.

Adam Jahns ‏@adamjahns 1h
#Bears ST coach Joe DeCamillis said rookie free agent RB Michael Ford is player they targeted to sign. Expects LSU product to compete at KR.

#Bears aired it out on day two of rookie minicamp. The goal was to test the hip swivel of the DBs and the skill level of the WRs.

#Bears defensive coordinator Mel Tucker's motto: "Compete to play. Compete to stay."

Adam Jahns ‏@adamjahns 2h
Today was a big special teams day at #Bears rookie camp. Marc Trestman said that’s where spots can be had.

Adam Jahns ‏@adamjahns 2h
Jordan Mills happy to be with fellow #Bears rookie Kyle Long : http://bit.ly/12o0iAh

Adam Jahns ‏@adamjahns 8m
Rookie MLB Jon Bostic has been handling the calls at #Bears rookie camp. He loves the responsibility. His words:
‘‘We weren’t just a 4-3 team or a 3-4 team [at Florida],’’ Bostic said. ‘‘We ran under-over, cover-3, cover-1, cover-2 — we ran pretty much everything you can run. And for us to have been able to do that, we had to make sure our front was lined up, everybody had their gaps or was playing their gaps, because one wrong gap could pretty much lose the ballgame for you.

‘‘So for them to have the trust in me to make sure everybody is lined up in the right place and checking in and out of calls with different sets we may like or different sets we may not against certain calls, it’s something that really kind of came natural to me.’’

Spear

Corpus callosotomy
Liked Posts:
Jordan Mills happy to be with fellow Bears rookie Kyle Long

BY MARK POTASH

mpotash@suntimes.com
Last Modified: May 11, 2013 02:11AM

Jordan Mills’ scouting report on Oregon guard Kyle Long is quite a bit more succinct than general manager Phil Emery’s:

‘‘This dude is a beast.’’

Mills, the Bears’ fifth-round draft pick from Louisiana Tech, ‘‘scouted’’ Long in Oregon’s victory over Kansas State in the Fiesta Bowl.

‘‘My offensive-line coach [Pete Perot] told me to pay attention to the O-line and what they’re doing and their technique,’’ Mills said. ‘‘In the Oregon game, he was like, ‘It’s the same offense. They’ve got a great dude by the name of Kyle Long. He’s a great player. Watch him.’ ’’

Long and the Oregon offense did not disappoint in a 35-17 win.

‘‘The way he dominated the Kansas State defensive line . . . I was like, wow, this dude is a beast,’’ Mills said. ‘‘[I thought], hopefully we get to play together or meet up in the NFL and I get to talk to him and meet him.’’

Mills met Long at the Senior Bowl and the scouting combine but reconnected for the first time as a teammate this week as the Bears opened their rookie minicamp at Halas Hall. The two linemen have become fast friends, and Mills has grand visions of them becoming anchors of the Bears’ line for years.

‘‘When I first met him at the Senior Bowl . . . he had a big smile on his face. ‘What’s up, buddy?’ ’’ Mills said. ‘‘It was like we’ve known each other forever. I didn’t know he was going to be my teammate. But I’m glad he is.’’

Long has simple goals for minicamp.

‘‘Just continue to try to earn the respect of my teammates and coaches and try to solidify my knowledge of this offense,’’ he said. ‘‘Get more and more reps.’’

He won’t get as many as he’d like because of an NFL rule that will prohibit him from participating in organized team activities before his class at Oregon graduates on June  17.

‘‘Obviously I’m behind the eight-ball a little bit because I won’t be here with the team,’’ Long said. ‘‘But I have somebody in place and I’ll have the installations ahead of time. It’s kind of like if you miss a week of school and you’re sick, you want to get the lesson plan from the teacher ahead of time.’’

Bears coach Marc Trestman called the delay ‘‘a minimal obstacle’’ that won’t hamper Long’s development. Long will continue working with former Bears line coach Tony Wise. He’ll participate in coaching sessions with Trestman and offensive coordinator Aaron Kromer via computer.

‘‘Kyle is a very smart guy,’’ Trestman said, ‘‘and we know he’s going to do everything he can to get himself ready physically and mentally as we get through our veteran minicamp and into training camp. [It’s] nothing we can’t handle.’’

Spear

Corpus callosotomy
Liked Posts:
Tucker says rookie linebackers off to good start

By Brad Biggs, Tribune reporter

2:26 PM CDT, May 11, 2013
Advertisement
Click here to find out more!

When Mel Tucker took over the Chicago Bears defense in January, things were pretty thin at linebacker.

Brian Urlacher was no sure thing for 2013 and he and the team have since parted ways. But the team added a pair of veterans in D.J. Williams and James Anderson early in free agency and then supplemented the group with second- and fourth-round picks Jon Bostic and Khaseem Greene, overhauling a unit that has been the strength of the team’s defense for such a long time.

“It’s going to be very competitive across the board defensively with the D-line and linebackers and the secondary,” Tucker said Saturday after the team wrapped up its second day of rookie minicamp inside the Walter Payton Center at Halas Hall. “I tell these guys every day, ‘Compete to play, compete to stay.’ And that’s going to be fun. It’ll be like steel sharpening steel. We’ll make each other better, both sides of the ball and within the defense. So I’m looking forward to the competition out there.”

Williams projects to be the starting middle linebacker and Anderson with the ones on the strong side, but depth charts are easily re-stackable at this time of year. It’s about competition and introducing Bostic and Greene to the NFL and the defense.

“I love working with these young guys,” Tucker said. “They’re all eager to please, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed and an extremely good work ethic. So it’s fun to work with these guys out here.

“I like (Bostic and Greene) so far. So far, so good. These guys are smart and they’re athletic, good work ethic and they just want to earn the respect of their teammates and coaches right now. They’re good in the classroom, they’ve been good on the field. So we’ll just take it one day at a time with them, but I like them so far.”

Bostic has experience calling the defense at Florida and Tucker said he’s been a smart “take control guy” to this point.

“He’s very comfortable making the calls and controlling the huddle, things like that,” Tucker said. “So those are all positives.”

Would Tucker consider starting a rookie at middle linebacker?

“It’s a case-by-case deal,” he said. “You just have to wait and see. Our job is to get the best players on the field. We’ll see how it shakes it. You never want to paint a guy into a box, so it’s an open competition across the board in our system. But obviously we’re not going to pre-determine what a guy can or can’t do early. So we’ll just see.”

Spear

Corpus callosotomy
Liked Posts:
Jon Bostic hopes experience making calls in college translates to Bears

BY ADAM L. JAHNS

ajahns@suntimes.com
Last Modified: May 11, 2013 02:12AM

Jon Bostic pointed at offensive linemen, got his teammates in position and broke huddles.

It was just like old times Friday during the Bears’ rookie minicamp.

Being in charge of a defense is a responsibility Bostic had at Florida, and it’s a big reason why the Bears chose him over other linebackers in the second round.

‘‘We weren’t just a 4-3 team or a 3-4 team [at Florida],’’ Bostic said. ‘‘We ran under-over, cover-3, cover-1, cover-2 — we ran pretty much everything you can run. And for us to have been able to do that, we had to make sure our front was lined up, everybody had their gaps or was playing their gaps, because one wrong gap could pretty much lose the ballgame for you.

‘‘So for them to have the trust in me to make sure everybody is lined up in the right place and checking in and out of calls with different sets we may like or different sets we may not against certain calls, it’s something that really kind of came natural to me.’’

Bostic, who ran the fastest 40-yard-dash time among inside linebackers, wants to handle calls for the Bears. Lance Briggs will do it this season with Brian Urlacher gone. But Bostic plans on watching plenty of film of Urlacher.

‘‘The defense is going to be pretty similar to last year and [what it] has been in the past, maybe a couple of different things,’’ Bostic said. ‘‘To watch him and how he plays the game, how he handles himself in certain situations, those are things that I’ll be looking for.’’

Spear

Corpus callosotomy
Liked Posts:
Bears rookie Khaseem Greene living NFL dream

BY ADAM L. JAHNS

ajahns@suntimes.com
Last Modified: May 11, 2013 12:51AM

A few years ago, move-in day for Rutgers teammates Khaseem Greene and Eric LeGrand turned into wreck-it day. A narrow driveway was to blame.

LeGrand thought he could navigate his car through in reverse. Greene disagreed. Either way, damage followed.

‘‘I started driving, and I scraped off one of the side mirrors,’’ LeGrand said. ‘‘[Greene] starts laughing. We start laughing. And then I move forward and knock off my other side mirror. And as I reached to grab that one, I go forward and run over the other one that I had knocked off.’’

What happened next?

‘‘We were just cracking up, laughing in the car the whole time, until I turned around in the back and went out the way I was supposed to,’’ LeGrand said.

It was two friends having fun in a less-than-ideal situation. They were moving into their new off-campus home with teammate Devon Watkis as they prepared for another football season. It’s a moment they still laugh about today, even though their careers have gone down different paths since.

LeGrand is a former defensive lineman who was paralyzed while making a tackle on a kickoff against Army in October 2010. His story has become one of national inspiration, and his ‘‘Believe’’ mantra became prevalent in stadiums, on bracelets and on signs.

Greene, an outside linebacker, was the Bears’ fourth-round-pick in the draft last month. His story as an NFL player is just beginning, but LeGrand’s ‘‘Believe’’ motto and initials are tattooed on his calf.

‘‘I’m proud of him,’’ said LeGrand, who was part of the same Rutgers recruiting class. ‘‘The Bears got a steal with him in that fourth round. He’s going to be a player for a long time. I truly believe that.’’

Staying in line

Greene, 24, comes to Chicago with perspective. There was seeing LeGrand get hurt, and there was the life he had lived before that.

Greene’s father, ‘‘Big’’ Ray Graham, was a running back at Purdue, but his career was cut short by an ailment. After that came multiple stints in prison.

‘‘He’s been all over,’’ Greene said.

Greene often would visit his father in prison — sometimes after he got into trouble at school or home — and get an earful. Greene said his father would use his situation as a positive. He became the example not to follow. His father wanted Greene and his siblings ‘‘to be better than him and to go on and achieve whatever our life goals were,’’ Greene said.

The visits stuck with Greene. He managed to stay out of serious trouble in crime-plagued Elizabeth, N.J., and received a scholarship from Rutgers after a solid high school career.

Greene also was a father figure as the oldest of 12 siblings — Greene’s mom had six children, including him, and his father’s future wife also had six — and it was a responsibility he took seriously.

‘‘Everybody is looking at you for right and wrong,’’ said Greene, whose half-brother Ray Graham played at Pittsburgh and just joined the Houston Texans. ‘‘It was an incredible responsibility. I always had to be that man of the house and the influence for my younger brothers and sisters. We couldn’t be products of environment.’’

His father and mother are now out of that environment, too. Both have moved out of Elizabeth with their families. His father even
was able to be part of Greene’s draft process.

‘‘It was a blessing to have my dad in my corner,’’ Greene said.

Staying focused

Greene had dinner with LeGrand not long before he reported to rookie minicamp. In a way, it was a personal sendoff.

‘‘I’ll probably get the chills [at his first game],’’ said LeGrand, a motivational speaker and a radio broadcaster for Rutgers football. ‘‘That’s my boy and everything. I feel happy for him from where he’s come from to get to where he is today.’’

Greene, meanwhile, looks at LeGrand and sees no excuses for himself. He has seen LeGrand suffer a freak injury and be strapped to a hospital bed. He has seen him go through a demanding rehabilitation.

‘‘He’s always checking up on me,’’ LeGrand said. ‘‘He’s still always there in my corner.’’

But Greene also has seen his friend become a national story that has inspired millions. He has seen pain become triumph. He sees a man determined to walk again.

‘‘He would give anything to be in my position, to be in the NFL, backing up whomever, playing special teams,’’ Greene said. ‘‘To hug his mom or his sister, he would give anything to do that. He doesn’t complain about that at all. You never see Eric down. He’s always smiling and trying to put a smile on other people’s faces. It’s just amazing to see his outlook on life now.’’

Greene described the experience as ‘‘humbling’’ and called it ‘‘fuel’’ for him as a person.

‘‘There’s no reason for me, being as close as I am to Eric, to ever be down about anything, to ever feel like I can’t do something and I won’t do something and for me to be lazy,’’ Greene said.

On the field, Greene blossomed into a star linebacker at Rutgers. He was the Big East defensive player of the year twice and forced an NCAA-record 15 fumbles in his career, something the Bears absolutely love.

But there’s no sense of contentment. There can’t be. Greene has seen and been through too much to stop now.

‘‘It’s just starting,’’ Greene said. ‘‘My dream was to get drafted, but that wasn’t the gist of my dream. I also want to be a Pro Bowl player and go down as one of the greatest. That’s just me. That’s how I’ve always approached situations.’’

Spear

Corpus callosotomy
Liked Posts:
LB Bostic to contribute heavily on special teams
By Jeff Dickerson

LAKE FOREST, Ill. – As is the case with most first-year players, the quickest way for Chicago Bears rookie linebackers Jon Bostic and Khaseem Greene to make an immediate impact this upcoming season figures to be on special teams, an area the team’s coaching staff emphasized on Saturday during the second day of rookie minicamp.

Bostic gives new special teams coordinator Joe DeCamillis another potential four-phase player, due in large part to linebacker’s speed. Bostic was one of the fastest linebackers in the 2013 draft class, a major reason the Bears selected him in the second round at No. 50 overall.

“Bostic has got all the attributes you are looking for,” DeCamillis said. “He’s definitely a tough kid, a smart kid who can run in the open spaces and that will help him no question about that. He’ll be a four-phase guy.. we just need to find the right spots for him. If he’s going to be here he’s going to be on special teams, and I know he’s going to be here.

“I saw some good things on film from Greene too. I really liked what we saw from both of those guys on film, especially in the early parts of their college careers when they played more special teams. They can work in the open spaces. I think both of these guys have a chance to be good players for us.”

The hope is that Bostic and Greene eventually turn into full-time starters on defense, however it’s difficult to predict if or when that will occur.

Greene spent the early portions of rookie minicamp working exclusively at weak side linebacker, a spot currently occupied by seven-time Pro Bowler Lance Briggs who has two years left on his contract.

On paper, Bostic’s chances of cracking the starting lineup appear more promising, but nothing is assured. Bostic is expected to compete with veteran middle linebacker D.J. Williams and veteran strong side linebacker James Anderson, who each inked one-year deals with the Bears in the offseason.

Bears defensive coordinator Mel Tucker put Bostic at middle linebacker during the rookie minicamp, although the team does feel the rookie can play all three linebacker spots.

“He’s a smart guy, he’s a take control guy,” Tucker said. “He’s been that (a middle linebacker) and is comfortable making the calls and controlling the huddle. Those are all positives.”

But can a rookie handle the responsibility of starting at middle linebacker in the Bears’ defensive system?

“It’s a case-by-case deal,” Tucker said. “You just have to wait and see. Our job is to get the best players on the field so we’ll see how it shakes out. But you never want to paint a guy into a box. It’s open competition across the board in our system but obviously we are not going to pre-determine what a guy can or cannot do early.

“So we’ll just see.”

Kazu2324

Liked Posts:
Great stuff! Thanks very much!

strockrocks

Liked Posts:
I'm liking how "cerebral" Bostic comes off. Coupled with humility this could be a really good pick.

I like your choice of adjectives. I am loving this guy more and more, especially during his interviews. I like how both him and Greene said they prefer to play behind veterans at first so they can learn. Both are humble, intelligent, and hard-working. I'm looking forward to their development...

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
THank you Spear

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jordan Mills happy to be with fellow Bears rookie Kyle Long
<snip>
‘‘When I first met him at the Senior Bowl . . . he had a big smile on his face. ‘What’s up, buddy?’ ’’ Mills said. ‘‘It was like we’ve known each other forever. I didn’t know he was going to be my teammate. But I’m glad he is.’’

Fucking awesome!