Bears sign OT Riley Reiff

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Does adding these two OL make a dramatic difference? Assuming both start that is 40% of the Oline that is "improved", but does it equal more wins, or does it equal more time in the pocket or does it equal a better running game.

Just a guess from me, but I would say these two signing equal 1 more win, but more important than that, I hope that these move allow for legit development of Justin AND the overall offense.

I don't know...

before I wasn't really optimistic or pessimistic...I just knew we were screwed and didn't have to think beyond the o-line.

Now I'm forced to ponder the lack of WR talent, track relay team in the room though....
and the defense just got considerably more hopeful given that we can hope and pray to hold the ball a few minutes per possession.

Honestly with these two moves we went from a hideous coaching debut for Eberflus that would have stunk up Halas Hall for a couple years....to a fighting chance I can peak an eye to look at. I'm glad he is pleased and he should be.

Now Borom can stand-in if Jenkins isn't ready and we don't have to force an injured value piece to accelerate.

I really didn't expect to be adding 200 starts to the o-line this late. The Reiff contract is a bit steep eh? Poles probably had to beg for that one and it was one helluva good time and place to get on your knees, imo. Night and day.

Last edited:

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Considering that the Bengals are in win-now mode, letting their starting left tackle leave in free agency makes me think he's a weak link or at the very least the Bengals wanted an upgrade from Reiff.
Well we are a year behind them so it makes plenty of sense. Obviously they need the long term answer and we need the pricey stop-gap.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Of guys that played at least 700 snaps, Reiff had an overall PFF grade of 67.3 which ranked 36th out of 54 eligible guys. He was 26th in run blocking with a 70 and 46 in pass blocking with a 58.4. His actual pass blocking metrics were better than his grades though as he only gave up 21 pressures in total with 4 sacks and 3 QB hits. His pass block efficiency ranked 26th at 96.8% and he committed just one penalty.

Cincy had a bit of a telegraph to them as well. Often in drop back and fuck it mode.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
So then you are scrambling again next year. We are potentially going to be looking for 4 olinmen next offseason. Are you really going to say doing the oline musical chairs every year is what a good gm does?
So…we’re accusing first year GM of “playing musical chairs every year”?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Listen guys, he's a bit washed, but you can never go wrong signing a Hawkeye. Seems like a bit of an overpay, but we'll see.

One penalty.

I can pretty much promise that Jenkins was going to get one penalty in the first half of game 1 and still might. We lost a Hawkeye from the room....good to add one. Consider drafting a buckeye next year. Good to have one of those in every o-line room too.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Another way to think of this is...

Reiff and Shofeield or Daniels? Short term or long term?

Obviously when you have Fields at this stage, and an empty cubbard at tackle...you have to make the move for Reiff.
No guartantee that works out but Poles gave us a chance for it to work out when he let Daniels walk instead of panic. Guards are just too easy to replace and you can see they already made the decision on Montgomery with the draft and probably trade him this year.

At least we have a GM trying to think long term values for once and not trying to panic push all the chips in every spring.

Last edited:
Reactions: Myk

Canth

Liked Posts:
Considering that the Bengals are in win-now mode, letting their starting left tackle leave in free agency makes me think he's a weak link or at the very least the Bengals wanted an upgrade from Reiff.

Well, considering Reiff didn't play LT for the Bengals, they are probably not worried about letting the guy they had playing RT leave affecting their LT spot.

Canth

Liked Posts:
I should add that for most of his career, Reiff has played LT and I think that is where the Bears are likely intending to play him. But he does have experience playing both LT and RT, so there flexibility there if they need it.

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
Guess this means the rookies aren't ready to fill those spots. I was rooting for youth to fill out those spots.
I don’t think it means that. Training camp has just started and no evaluation on any of them. It’s more of an insurance in case one of them doesn’t. But it is a possibility they can’t. I mean, it’s not 1st round lineman these rookies.

Last edited:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
May also still been on the market due to a season ending ankle injury last year. Not sure when he could start showing what he had left.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yeah this isn't that complicated. No one is guaranteed anything. This ensures competition and increases the chances of getting average OL play while setting the bar higher for the young guys to start.

Hence why this deal is only worth 2.5m if Reiff doesn't hit the incentives. He only gets paid the full 12.5 if he is the start for the majority of the season most likely. Otherwise he is a well respected vet backup that can help mentor the young guys.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yeah this isn't that complicated. No one is guaranteed anything. This ensures competition and increases the chances of getting average OL play while setting the bar higher for the young guys to start.

Hence why this deal is only worth 2.5m if Reiff doesn't hit the incentives. He only gets paid the full 12.5 if he is the start for the majority of the season most likely. Otherwise he is a well respected vet backup that can help mentor the young guys.
I think he may need to start a playoff game to kick in the final incentive, LOL.

dennehy

Liked Posts:

But he's virtually guaranteed $7.5m it seems, unless he doesn't play 10% of snaps and the offense is universally worse than last year. And we don't know the other playing time clause, but it does look like $10m of that is likely to be charged to the cap, unless he's really bad, injured, or the younger guys are ready very early.

abegibronlives

Liked Posts:

Wasn't Joe Burrow the most sacked quarterback in 2021?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
But he's virtually guaranteed $7.5m it seems, unless he doesn't play 10% of snaps and the offense is universally worse than last year. And we don't know the other playing time clause, but it does look like $10m of that is likely to be charged to the cap, unless he's really bad, injured, or the younger guys are ready very early.

No he isnt. If someone beats him out in camp and they start then he may not hit the incentives. Biggs also said he gets 4.5m if he plays 10% and Bears improve in 6 categories. We dont know what those categories are so cant really claim it is virtually guranteed. We also dont know how much improvement is needed.

Also Biggs and Yates are now claiming most of this is NLTBE which if true means the cap hit this year will be just 3m. Next year if he hit any of the incentives then would the cap be charged which who cares when our cap is around 100m next year.

The point is the contract doesnt guarantee he starts. If someone is better and starts then he likely only earns 3m which is fine a backup.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
No he isnt. If someone beats him out in camp and they start then he may not hit the incentives. Biggs also said he gets 4.5m if he plays 10% and Bears improve in 6 categories. We dont know what those categories are so cant really claim it is virtually guranteed. We also dont know how much improvement is needed.

Also Biggs and Yates are now claiming most of this is NLTBE which if true means the cap hit this year will be just 3m. Next year if he hit any of the incentives then would the cap be charged which who cares when our cap is around 100m next year.

The point is the contract doesnt guarantee he starts. If someone is better and starts then he likely only earns 3m which is fine.
One of six categories, not all six. It's not guaranteed, but really only if he is a complete bust.

Would be interesting if they did put in the categories to make it NLTBE, not sure if that is possible per the bargaining agreement because it doesn't have anything to do with Reiff last year.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
One of six categories, not all six. It's not guaranteed, but really only if he is a complete bust.

Would be interesting if they did put in the categories to make it NLTBE, not sure if that is possible per the bargaining agreement because it doesn't have anything to do with Reiff last year.
Yeah my bad, one of 6. I suspect they put in easy to reach incentives that were not met last year so they dont get charged to this year's cap. If he starts then he hits them and gets paid a decent salary for a starting LT. If he gets beat out and someone else starts then he gets 3m which is decent money for a backup LT.

So dont think it is an issue of his being a bust. If someone is better at LT then doesnt mean he is a bust. Could just mean he is average and they are good. Hence why the contract structure would mean he gets paid like a backup. Bust would be if he got beat out but we still had to pay him the full amount.