Bears trade down or even out of the 1st round.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Horn's my favorite CB in this draft so if he's there i hope they stay at #20 and take him unless they're offered a sweet deal.

I would have zero issue with Horn. His father was a great NFL player. Jaycee is extremely competitive but he’s also a top tier athlete.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Trading down and grabbing extra picks is always a great pre draft idea.....problem is you need someone desperate to trade up to 20 to grab a specific player....which likely is a guy the bears could use.

Still think id jump at taking any of the following if available at 20 (and one might be there)

Darrisaw
Farley
Horn

I agree but Farley scares me a bit because of his back issue. That can be tricky.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
Fansided logic of "If you're not going to trade up then you must trade back" is fucking stupid.

Trading out of the 1st is even dumber, given rookie contracts under present CBA. You pass on a 5th year option of a guy. GIven said rookie contracts--if you ever find the QB (given however unlikely considering its the bears)--that's a detriment to your cap/contention window.

Like any trade down, who is moving up to 20 and why? If someone fell who is top of your draft board/have a top tier/elite grade on who shouldn't have, why trade down and not just pick said guy?

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:

That's how I feel. You're trolling because I AGREED with you??? WTF?

We don't have an offense. Trading up re-digs the hole that got us in this situation.
Build the offense then get a QB whether we get there by trade or by sucking because we don't have a QB doesn't matter at that point. It matters now because we don't have the offense for a rookie to learn behind.

A rookie QB is a rookie QB no matter who it is. They're not going to instantly be a great one without talent around them.

Trading down is a long shot. We have enough needs we could probably do it and benefit. But there has to be someone who wants 20 and has something worth offering. It's easy to say trade back but it's not guaranteed to happen.

Myrradah

Liked Posts:
Why does trading down make sense just because trading up to #4 is too expensive?

Why am I responding to your post?

THIS YEAR THE DRAFT HAS A LOT OF UNKNOWNS THAT ARE REALLY GOOD DUE TO COVID AND THE LACK OF PLAY TIME LAST YEAR AS WELL AS TAPE. sO THE OPPORTUNITY TO HIT BIG IN THE LATER ROUNDS IS DRAMATICALLY INCREASED.

Sorry for caps...

The potential to hit big on later round drafts this year is much greater than the 20% chance to draft a top rated QB in the draft that actually pans out.

I think there are going to be 1-3 great QB's taken in the 2nd or 3rd round personally.

The_Shadow

Simply a Bears fan
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I agree but Farley scares me a bit because of his back issue. That can be tricky.
A first round draft pick with a pre-existing back condition? Sounds like a Bears pick made in heaven!

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Point is that there might be several top 15 players still around at 20...likely a couple who are #1-2 at their position, which could be enticing for a trade partner to want to move up for a position of need.

Since Bears need 4 holes filled and only have 3 picks in first 4 rounds, a tradedown lets them still grab a starter in later 1st or early 2nd while gaining that extra pick. As mentioned earlier it's a perfect year for that with further reaches for unknowns likely (due to Covid sitouts). Also deep OT & WR class = 2 of Bears' top 4 needs.

We say all this and sure enough there'll be no trade partner afterall or Pace overvalues somebody who is no better than the next guy they could've had a bit later. ?‍♂️

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
THIS YEAR THE DRAFT HAS A LOT OF UNKNOWNS THAT ARE REALLY GOOD DUE TO COVID AND THE LACK OF PLAY TIME LAST YEAR AS WELL AS TAPE. sO THE OPPORTUNITY TO HIT BIG IN THE LATER ROUNDS IS DRAMATICALLY INCREASED.

Sorry for caps...

The potential to hit big on later round drafts this year is much greater than the 20% chance to draft a top rated QB in the draft that actually pans out.

I think there are going to be 1-3 great QB's taken in the 2nd or 3rd round personally.
Excellent point. Due to covid this is a great year to have a lot of picks.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Sorry for caps...

Finite # of good vs bad picks. If what you are saying is true, it means that there will be more misses before those late gems. We do have 12 more underclassmen declaring compared to last year, a record, so you may be on to something. What's interesting is the difference is occupied by guys that fulfilled their college requirement, could return and decided not to.

That said, I would think players expecting to significantly increase their draft stock by playing would stay so the late round supposition is feasible.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Point is that there might be several top 15 players still around at 20...likely a couple who are #1-2 at their position, which could be enticing for a trade partner to want to move up for a position of need.

Since Bears need 4 holes filled and only have 3 picks in first 4 rounds, a tradedown lets them still grab a starter in later 1st or early 2nd while gaining that extra pick. As mentioned earlier it's a perfect year for that with further reaches for unknowns likely (due to Covid sitouts). Also deep OT & WR class = 2 of Bears' top 4 needs.

We say all this and sure enough there'll be no trade partner afterall or Pace overvalues somebody who is no better than the next guy they could've had a bit later. ?‍♂️
Or a top LT/CB/WR falls and you run to the podium. I do like the scenarios that allow a trade down of sorts and we grab a need player plus the best of the rest of the QBs in 2.

abegibronlives

Liked Posts:
I think this is the best decision for the Bears in this draft because moving up as high as we would need to for a QB is just too costly. Now i wouldn't hate it but to get the 4th best QB is taking a huge risk especially knowing all QB's no matter where they're taken are huge risks.

Trade down scenarios.

Trade out of 1st round scenarios.

The trade with the Balt, Raiders and Dolphins would be tough to turn down.

A team cannot unilaterally decide to make a trade - It takes two to tango.

And, generally speaking, any proposed trade needs to make sense to all parties involved. So, while it is easy to say "The Bears should make a trade", that does not mean the Bears can make a trade. It's like saying someone should cure cancer.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:

And, generally speaking, any proposed trade needs to make sense to all parties involved. So, while it is easy to say "The Bears should make a trade", that does not mean the Bears can make a trade. It's like saying someone should cure cancer.
Op about to put you on ignore.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Trading down does make a lot of sense. The QB's that will be there at 20 are likely to be there in the second round as well. Guys like Mond, Newman and Mills would be great 2nd - 3rd round choices. This way the Bears can get a QB worth grooming and fill in WR, and RT as well.

In this draft there is a decent chance that the day 2 QB's end up being just as good as the top 5 QB's because of the COVID year dropping a lot of QB stocks from not playing enough. A guy like Newman could have been a top 10 pick had he played this year.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
OP getting shit on. Wow.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Wow...... is water still wet?

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Keep trading down and own the entire 6th and 7th rounds?
?

• Haha
Reactions: Myk

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Trading down does make a lot of sense. The QB's that will be there at 20 are likely to be there in the second round as well. Guys like Mond, Newman and Mills would be great 2nd - 3rd round choices. This way the Bears can get a QB worth grooming and fill in WR, and RT as well.

In this draft there is a decent chance that the day 2 QB's end up being just as good as the top 5 QB's because of the COVID year dropping a lot of QB stocks from not playing enough. A guy like Newman could have been a top 10 pick had he played this year.

Are they though?

Atlanta, Denver, Philly, Detroit, New York, New England, WFT, Pittsburgh, New Orleans, Tampa.....

All of these teams I could make some case for them drafting a QB and they all have picks between the Bear's 20th pick and the Bear's 52nd pick. I really think any QB left at 52 is going to be there because he sucks. Too much need across the NFL.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Are they though?

Atlanta, Denver, Philly, Detroit, New York, New England, WFT, Pittsburgh, New Orleans, Tampa.....

All of these teams I could make some case for them drafting a QB and they all have picks between the Bear's 20th pick and the Bear's 52nd pick. I really think any QB left at 52 is going to be there because he sucks. Too much need across the NFL.
I am not saying wait until the 52nd pick. You can trade down and get a later 1st round pick or early 2nd round pick.