Bears trade for Claypool

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It's the lowest bar in the league but Claypool's certainly a bigger,more talented target than any Fields has had but what happens when he wants market value on his next deal? Pittsburgh saw problems re-doing him and they're a much better Org!
Let's hope Fields can find him in the 2-3 seconds he has before he gets clobbered or has to take off.

IF he works out and IF he's re-signed,it's a good trade although I'd rather have parted with the 2nd we got from Baltimore for the NFL's 25yro leading tackler then our own.

Eight picks next year and over 100 million of Momma Bear's $$$ to spend next off season but now as many holes to fill on D as there are on O.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It's the lowest bar in the league but Claypool's certainly a bigger,more talented target than any Fields has had but what happens when he wants market value on his next deal? Pittsburgh saw problems re-doing him and they're a much better Org!
Let's hope Fields can find him in the 2-3 seconds he has before he gets clobbered or has to take off.

IF he works out and IF he's re-signed,it's a good trade although I'd rather have parted with the 2nd we got from Baltimore for the NFL's 25yro leading tackler then our own.

Eight picks next year and over 100 million of Momma Bear's $$$ to spend next off season but now as many holes to fill on D as there are on O.

The Steelers just extended DJ and just drafted Pickens and Austin. So he was the odd man out as he would require big money after DJ and before the two rookies.

The Bears can afford to pay Mooney and him and then also draft a guy who if he becomes deserving of a 2nd contract you can move on from one of Mooney or Claypool 4 years from now.

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
The Bears never traded for Peppers. He was Angelo & Lovie’s biggest FA acquisition. The 2009 season had zero pass rush, much like this year, and they knew they needed a dominant DE. Yes, Peppers had a year in which he only got like 2sacks(2007)but he was burned out playing for a shit franchise in Carolina but still had 25 sacks in the 2seasons before coming here. Holy fuck the amount of inaccuracies in one post is truly mind boggling. I mean, Google the ducking stats. This isn’t hard.
That was because the genius Angelo traded for Gaines Adams (R.I.P.) for a 2nd round pick without doing a complete physical and Adams died due to an enlarged heart.

Lovie literally went to Peppers house at midnight of the day free agency started in 2010 to get Peppers. I wish Lovie was like this when getting the best OCs instead of the garbage he brought in.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
The sad reality is that claypool is not that much better than a guy like Robbie Anderson, almost the same player lmfao. Notice how a good organization gives up a 6th round pick for such a player, a bad organization gives up a 2nd rounder ??????
The fact that you think Anderson and Claypool are almost the same player tells me exactly how fuckin stupid you are.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Carter's value may have dropped some as he has not had a great year to date.
Shit, I hope so…if he somehow fell to wherever we pick, that’s a run to the podium moment.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Seems like Pittsburgh is really happy that Claypool got traded.

I'm watching film on the guy and honestly the whole trade, I'm getting Julius peppers vibes.

What do I mean by that since those two played completely different positions?

I don't know how many of you remember, but when the Bears traded for Julius peppers back in the day, everyone in Carolina was saying the dude was washed up, that he didn't have the desire or the hustle anymore, that the Bears were idiots for doing it, pretty much echoing all the sentiment we're hearing from Pittsburgh right now.

But at that time when you looked at the tape you saw that there was still something there.

Turns out Carolina was such a shithole that when peppers join the Bears and got some real defense around him, he took off and pretty much on defense was one of the dudes responsible for that 2012 run we made. Turns out he was just a human being and Carolina was just shit.

I'm getting similar vibes from this Claypool situation. Yes, I know the Steelers know how to draft wide receivers. They also have a terrible offensive coordinator and haven't had a real quarterback in claypool's entire tenure considering roethlisberger fell off when he got there.

I'm not sitting here and saying claypool's going to be the greatest thing - but I bet he ends up being good enough for us to make the people in Pittsburgh go WTF...

Dude why do you even post here? Do you really believe people are going to believe all this stuff you make up?

You don't even watch the games

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Murphy plays DE. And I wouldn’t use WalterFootball for anything. His predicted the Lions would be playing the Eagles in the NFCCG this year and still calls them(Lions) underrated.
Ah. Well, I'm open to other sources, pick one. Just saying there may be some great options at 3T DT especially if 3-5 QBs go before us.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels

Where are you getting this from??

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
We get it man... you don't understand that value of players isn't what Fan X thinks, it's what the market ACTUALLY establishes. Sadly, that's just how the world works.

Additionally... as a fan of a team that has been searching for a QB for what.... 70+ years? You're going to complain that when they are on the cusp of actually having and growing a young player that may mature into the best Bears QB of your lifetime, that they slightly overpaid for a WR that could actually help with that development? Isn't THAT reaching a bit? (especially when you factor in the upcoming FA and the draft)

Then you go on for like 5 pages digging your heels in... all with the caveat that you should just be able flip flop and "eat crow" if Claypool works out? bah!

Just come join the Kumbaya circle man... We can all complain together later if it doesn't work out. But that's future US problems... We can worry about those next year. ;)

See just admitting it is the first step.

And yes I dug my heels in because I believe what I believe. That doesn't mean as a Bears meatball that I suddenly hope it doesn't work out.

Hell I hoped that moving up one space to get Trubisky was the right thing to do and would work out long term even though I was skeptical of that move as well.

Everyone can come at me and tell me I am wrong, but I am still allowed to have the opinion that it wasn't a great move sending away a 2nd and remain hopeful that I am wrong and they found a diamond.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Jesus you are dumb.

Aug 17, 2021NFLPedal Ankle Sprain/Pull Unspecified Grade 1Claypool suffered a minor ankle sprain during the Steelers' practice. He missed the preseason win over the Lions.
Sep 30, 2021NFLThigh Hamstring Sprain/Pull Unspecified Grade 1Claypool missed Week 4's contest against the Packers due to a hamstring injury.
Nov 8, 2021NFLPedal Toe SprainClaypool suffered a toe injury during Monday Week 9’s win over the Chicago Bears. He missed one game.
Jul 29, 2022NFLShoulderClaypool sustained a shoulder injury during Friday's practice, Brooke Pryor of ESPN.com reports.
So he hasn't been injured?

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Look, they know who’s coming in the draft. They know who’s coming in free agency. That’s their jobs. Clearly they like Claypool best. This is their guy. You don’t trade a second unless you REALLY like someone. They fully understand he has a year and a half left on his deal and I guarantee they’re planning on extending him. This isn’t some rental. This is a guy they deem to be a core piece for the future or this deal doesn’t get made. Barring injury or catastrophic failure as a player expect Claypool to be here the next 5+ years.
Lets hope they are right for our favorite franchises sake.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
We get it. You don’t like the trade.

But to say go look at Steelers world is dumb. Of course their fan base will like the move. Just like ours liked the trade of Roquan. Judging things by fan reaction is dumb as fuk.
My point was that the Steelers fans were saying things like "If you are looking for a guy that will jump higher than anybody to attempt to catch the ball at his knees he is your guy" They were talking about his play on the field in my, admitted, anecdotal experience.

Bears fans are happy about the RoqSmitty trade because they actually got something for him when he was obviously going to be an off season distraction due to his contract dispute, not because of his play. I haven't heard a single Bears fan happy that he is gone because of his play, it was because they knew he was going away anyhow and they managed to flip that into a positive instead of a distraction that at best would turn into a comp pick.

Steelers fans are happy they got rid of him for a very different reason than Bears fans are happy they got rid of Smith.

I think understanding why the fans are happy they got rid of a guy is not "dumb as fuk."

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
But that makes zero sense, he will only be expensive if he works out.
I see a very real chance that Poles biggest offseason moves will be signing Montgomery, extending Mooney a year early and if he shows well the remainder of the season extending Claypool, both at decent #2 WR money, that could secure a core WR group for 5-6 seasons. Throw in a couple good OL/DL pieces in FA and that levels all positions as to need level,then the draft becomes much more BPA.
It will be expensive though because it cost the team a 2nd round pick if he doesn't work out for less than half of his rookie contract. That is expensive. The only hope is that he balls out, gets paid and is here for 5 or 6 years. Otherwise, total waste of an expensive 2nd round draft pick.

Also, regarding your off season moves I would be VERY surprised to see Montgomery in a Bears uniform next year. I think he has to take a very reasonable deal to be with the team next year.